Sign in to follow this  
Dominicoben

Aerosoft US Cities X?

So I just went and bought Aerosoft US Cities X Chicago, Las Vegas and San Francisco. To my horror, after investigating further, I've read on loads of other sites that they are all really bad on FPS, and combined with PMDG aircraft and other payware airports and traffic, you get awful frame rates.

I currently can get in the mid-70s at Friday Harbor (no addons), and with addons in built up cities with the PMDG 737NGX I get in the 30/40s.

I'm using a tweaked .cfg file at the moment, and that has really helped keep my frame rates up.

Is there anyone who has / has used Aerosoft's US Cities X? I don't really want to go using that sort of scenery only to see massive drops in fps. I'd be running the scenery with others too -- UTX, GEX, REX. So would this make the frames drop even further?

Thanks.

I don't see anything wrong with 30/40 fps in those major cities, some people would love to have a steady 25! I personally don't see any difference going from 25 (which I have mine locked at) and 40

Given that 24FPS is the point at which we perceive smooth motion I don't see any point going higher than 30. Remember the more FPS your system is churning out the less it's dedicating to other things that could use the sim's attention - like AI and texture loading.

Personally I can fly at 15FPS and I find helicopters like the Dodosim to be perfectly controllable at 12FPS. It's all preferential I suppose *shrug*

But you said you have the products so why not just install them and see?

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

"Personally I can fly at 15FPS and I find helicopters like the Dodosim to be perfectly controllable at 12FPS. It's all preferential I suppose"

You are crazy, sorry, I don´t want to be rude, and be banned forever, but the absurd nonsense I read here, time after time, makes me go:

80P

@OP: Aerosoft is famous for it´s awesome products, which at the same time performs totally un-acceptable!

Enjoy what you have bought, I never did it...

No night textures in any of these products is a big turn off.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Given that 24FPS is the point at which we perceive smooth motion I don't see any point going higher than 30. Remember the more FPS your system is churning out the less it's dedicating to other things that could use the sim's attention - like AI and texture loading.

Personally I can fly at 15FPS and I find helicopters like the Dodosim to be perfectly controllable at 12FPS. It's all preferential I suppose *shrug*

But you said you have the products so why not just install them and see?

I have seen and posted about this misconception more times than I care to remember but here goes again anyway.

The 24FPS 'human eye limit' is only applicable to motion film.

Without realistic motion blurring, video games and computer animations do not look as fluid as film, even with a higher frame rate. When a fast moving object is present on two consecutive frames, a gap between the images on the two frames contributes to a noticeable separation of the object and its after image in the eye. Motion blurring mitigates this effect, since it tends to reduce the image gap when the two frames are strung together The effect of motion blurring is essentially superimposing multiple images of the fast-moving object on a single frame. Motion blurring makes the motion more fluid to the human eye, even as the image of the object becomes blurry on each individual frame.

Games do not have natural motion blur between frames unlike film.

It has been shown that 24 FPS in a movie = an need of around 60FPS in a video game.

"Personally I can fly at 15FPS and I find helicopters like the Dodosim to be perfectly controllable at 12FPS. It's all preferential I suppose"

You are crazy, sorry, I don´t want to be rude, and be banned forever, but the absurd nonsense I read here, time after time, makes me go:

80P

Hey if he's happy with 12 FPS, then so be it. Who are you are anyone else to beat him over the head about it. It's his sim and he's apparently ok with it, so why bother commenting?

Personally, anything under 20 FPS is too low for me, but i'm not going to knock someone else if they dont mind 12.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It is the only reason I've shied away from these products - save for LV. Even rudimentary night lighting would've earned my purchase.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

That's rude, uncalled for and over the top. Not to mention crude. You're done.

Three things:

I believe they do have night textures. Las Vegas does, but it didn't when it was released so you're halfway correct.

There is a definite FPS hit.

Las Vegas is not in my opinion a quality product, the photo-real building textures are horrible except for really far away, but since our airport (KLAS) is right smack in the middle of town the strip is right in your face as you take off from 25R or it will be even closer and out your right window with a take off or approach into 19L/R. The biggest problem I have with the product is that while yes they included the strip and that may be good enough for you virtual tourists, I'm from Las Vegas by the way and I was shocked to see they completely left out downtown (the old strip as tourists call it). I can't speak to the other Cities X, but I think that leaving out a major (and hard to miss) part of a city is inexcusable.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

You can always layer them under MegasceneryEarth, USCities specific 3D objects will still be dark, but the major structures will be lit and the ground will be too.

USCities: Vegas does have night lighting, because it's Vegas after all.

On the FPS side, I have FSDT: McCaran Airport + US Cities: Las Vegas + MegasceneryX Las Vegas and I haven't experienced any noticable FPS hit.

OTOH I have, FSDT O'Hare + FlyTampa KMDW + MegasceneryEarth: Chciago City Pack + US Cities: Chicago X, and it's noticably choppy...damn near unflyable for the NGX

My Specs

Intel i7 950 3.07GHz

nVidia 9500GT

6GB RAM

Win7 64bit

That's rude, uncalled for and over the top. Not to mention crude. You're done.

Spot on Tom.

US Cities X is a great product for what it is and isn't responsible for massive framerate hits. I have only a 4GB machine with a 550Ti and an 3.10Ghz i5. So not as powerful as most of the ones here.

I fly the NGX into O'hare and it slows down a bit FSDT but what do you expect?

If you are expecting 50FPS with a huge lot of addons you might as well wait for a few years for hardware to improve. Or give the hobby away.

Don't know how technology is going to be able to 'mount' aircraft and scenery in separate PCs. Maybe someone here can elaborate? But if you could use other PCs for your 'addons' then it would certainly give you impressive FPS.

I'm running US Cities X Las Vegas along with FSDT's McCarran Int'l Airport and Blue Sky Scenery and get something about 25 FPS in the PMDG MD-11 or the iFly 737, which is OK for me. I also run FlyTampa's KBUF and Buffalo Niagara Falls, and that has only very little impact on my frame rates, too.

But: The buildings' testures are blurry if you're close to them, but in an airliner I've never come that close to them,night lighting is only available in Las Vegas, and they don't - unlike for example VFR London - depict large areas of the Town, but only the major buildings.

Nevertheless, I enjoy these sceneries very much, and I don't regret having bought them.