Sign in to follow this  
Noble.

Specific tweaks for high resolution monitors?

I've got a 27" monitor at 2560x1440 and have noticed serious performance degradation over the standard 1920x1080 (not surprising given there's nearly 80% more pixels) but I was wondering if there were any specific tweaks that would help regain some of the FPS difference? I have a 3GB GTX 580, so as far as I can see, reducing AA doesn't really help.

I presume that you have followed Word Not Allowed's guide? Also, what are your hardware specs?

Yep. Specs are 2700K @ 4.8GHz, GTX 580 3GB, 16GB 2133MHz RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD.

Yep. Specs are 2700K @ 4.8GHz, GTX 580 3GB, 16GB 2133MHz RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD.

That is very strange. Have you lowered your IQ settings? What AA settings are you running?

That is very strange. Have you lowered your IQ settings? What AA settings are you running?

Lowering FSX settings makes zero difference, with the exception of the water slider. I'm running 8xS + 2x SGSS.

Good Question Harvesl,

I'm running 3 X 30in screens with an OC 2600k at 4.9 and a gtx680, I've found so far, throwing more power at it makes no difference to preventing the FPS loss when going from a single screen to three.

I too have dropped back the water slide to keep the FPS up but with that I get the dreaded artifacts during turns. I chucked in another 680 for SLI but it did nothing to increasing FPS at the high resolution, however it did seem to load graphics a bit faster.

I'm getting the impression that it must be a CPU limit not a GPU issue.

Waiting for a 7.0ghz CPU.

IM

I find the need for AA to be reduced drastically on my 1440P 27" LCD(s). I'd suggest you try without such an extreme level of AA. Also, some users are reporting performance degradation with 300 series drivers in various scenarios, you may be one of those unlucky users.

Lowering FSX settings makes zero difference, with the exception of the water slider. I'm running 8xS + 2x SGSS.

Completely turn off the Inspector settings. Just test out the default FSX AA to see if that helps at all.

Good Question Harvesl,

I'm running 3 X 30in screens with an OC 2600k at 4.9 and a gtx680, I've found so far, throwing more power at it makes no difference to preventing the FPS loss when going from a single screen to three.

I too have dropped back the water slide to keep the FPS up but with that I get the dreaded artifacts during turns. I chucked in another 680 for SLI but it did nothing to increasing FPS at the high resolution, however it did seem to load graphics a bit faster.

I'm getting the impression that it must be a CPU limit not a GPU issue.

Waiting for a 7.0ghz CPU.

IM

Yeah, unfortunately I think it's quite unlikely we see CPUs at 7GHz, the industry is moving towards multi-core CPUs - so it's arguable that we're now seeing the best performance in FSX we'll ever see.

I find the need for AA to be reduced drastically on my 1440P 27" LCD(s). I'd suggest you try without such an extreme level of AA. Also, some users are reporting performance degradation with 300 series drivers in various scenarios, you may be one of those unlucky users.

Yeah, I've found exactly the same, it's down to the fact the pixel density on 1440p 27" monitors is very high - I can only really tell a small difference between 2xS and 8xS. I also get the problem with the 296 drivers as well as the 300 drivers. What do you have your Inspector settings to?

Completely turn off the Inspector settings. Just test out the default FSX AA to see if that helps at all.

Yeah, I tried that as well, it makes no difference to the very large drop in frames. Also, I should probably point out that I get the FPS drop even if I'm loaded up somewhere without a large body of water for hundreds of miles.

Revert back to an older driver. MUCH older.

Revert back to an older driver. MUCH older.

Ok, I'll try that. Are you using the latest drivers? Also, any particular driver set you think will be worth trying?

Yeah, unfortunately I think it's quite unlikely we see CPUs at 7GHz, the industry is moving towards multi-core CPUs - so it's arguable that we're now seeing the best performance in FSX we'll ever see.

With the exception of the ever-increasing performance supplied to us by incremental architectural improvements, I agree. Clockspeeds have hit something of a brick wall that will not likely be overcome without the use of some drastically different materials.

Yeah, I've found exactly the same, it's down to the fact the pixel density on 1440p 27" monitors is very high - I can only really tell a small difference between 2xS and 8xS. I also get the problem with the 296 drivers as well as the 300 drivers. What do you have your Inspector settings to?

I don't have Inspector setup yet, I've been tweaking and configuring and reloading this machine for the entire time I've owned it. I think I'll get my first add-ons installed tonight or tomorrow. Don't know if I'll even use Inspector, to be honest. With the performance my machine delivers in DX9 mode, and the promise of more in DX10, I don't think I'll bother with any external tweaks.

Yeah, I tried that as well, it makes no difference to the very large drop in frames. Also, I should probably point out that I get the FPS drop even if I'm loaded up somewhere without a large body of water for hundreds of miles.

Most unfortunate. Backup your FSX.cfg and rebuild it? Restore it if it makes no difference. Beyond that you may just be plagued by the NV 300 series driver bugs.

Ok, I'll try that. Are you using the latest drivers? Also, any particular driver set you think will be worth trying?

None in particular. Just be sure to download a WHQL.

I dont have an nvidia card, but testing fsx in my old crt ar 2048x1536 the first thing i had to do inmediatly was turn down aa. These kind of res does not need high aa setting i think no?

Tapatalk2, Samsung Galaxy Note.

7800X3D / 7900XTX / ROG STRIX B650-A / Corsair Vengeance 32GB 6000mhz, etc etc.