Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

Stupidty Award goes to...........

Me. Because I have just spent the last 5 days re installing W7 + FSX + 150GB of addons etc, and have just discovered that all I needed to have done was move one item in the scenery library up 2 notches and the ntdll error I was getting in the USA only would have been fixed.

Having a very understanding wife helped, I told her that FSX must, at all costs be back up and running ASAP, so she would have to mow the lawns and wash the car. The Doctors at the hospital were great and were able to extract the frying pan from my head with little dis comfort. And when I got home, my clothes were neatly laid out on the front lawn.

And if your wondering what the problem was, for some unexplainable reason, UTX airports was not at the top of the USA section. And even though I must have looked there 50 times, I did not see the mistake.

Moral of the story: get regular eye sight checks.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Your story is believable....just. It's the bit about you 'telling the wife etc.' that doesn't ring true. She surely would have known to wash the car and mow the lawns in those circumstances. If not, then the real stupid bit on your part, was the lack of proper training! :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

You are spot on Ron. Another lesson learned <sigh>

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Aren't you lucky your wife didn't throw your pc out with your clothes? :)

I totally forgot UTX stuff needed to be on top I'm going to do that today, I've been getting some errors recently too.

Thanks

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

Was that a cast iron frying pan or just the light weight teflon one? I have slowly gotten rid of the iron ones here :Loser:

Bob

A cheap teflon one Bob, I am stupid but not silly :LMAO:

A cheap teflon one Bob, I am stupid but not silly :LMAO:

We have a lot in common Julian :Hug:

Funny story mate! In all seriousness however, the true moral of the story should be...

...reinstalling FS (any version) should be the absolute last act of desperation anyone should embark on for darn near any problem.

Unless one is starting with an absolutely clean slate (such as you did), simply reinstalling FS (any version) may well not fix the problem one was having anyway!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Julian. Boy, what bu....er. I feel for you. Still take comfort that your missus did not mow you over, never mind your clothes, and wash you down the grid instead of the car. Hey, these things are sent to test our sanity. If you recall, I nearly threw the towel in a couple of weeks ago.

Glad you nailed it and that you are with us. Happy Flying!

Julian,

I feel for you. Nothing worse than having to rebuild an FSX PC with the 1 million add-ons.

Suggestion for next time... Send the wife some flowers. A dozen roses goes a long way when it comes time to rebuilding an FSX PC.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Curious to know what is the UTX Airports entry. I have both UTX USA and Europe but no entries like that in my scenery.cfg. If I have got it completely wrong and its nothing to do with those products add me to the stupidity list.

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Funny story mate! In all seriousness however, the true moral of the story should be...

...reinstalling FS (any version) should be the absolute last act of desperation anyone should embark on for darn near any problem.

Unless one is starting with an absolutely clean slate (such as you did), simply reinstalling FS (any version) may well not fix the problem one was having anyway!

Good advice Fr Bill. I used a backed up scenery config so I did not have to go through the pain of having to sort the config in the correct order. That is how I found the mistake. Never thought for a minute that an incorrect entry in the scenery cfg would cause a ntdll error, but with UTX, it can.

Hi Julian. Boy, what bu....er. I feel for you. Still take comfort that your missus did not mow you over, never mind your clothes, and wash you down the grid instead of the car. Hey, these things are sent to test our sanity. If you recall, I nearly threw the towel in a couple of weeks ago.

Glad you nailed it and that you are with us. Happy Flying!

Thanks Rick. Now I know what you went through. I spent 2 weeks trying to nail it.

Julian,

I feel for you. Nothing worse than having to rebuild an FSX PC with the 1 million add-ons.

Suggestion for next time... Send the wife some flowers. A dozen roses goes a long way when it comes time to rebuilding an FSX PC.

And a new fry pan :)

Curious to know what is the UTX Airports entry. I have both UTX USA and Europe but no entries like that in my scenery.cfg. If I have got it completely wrong and its nothing to do with those products add me to the stupidity list.

Here is the correct layout for any UTX product.

Addon scenery should be here

[Area.119]

Title=UT Exclusions For Default Scenery

Local=Scenery\UtExcl

Layer=119

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.120]

Title=UT Usa Lighting

Local=Scenery\UtUsaLights

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.121]

Title=UT Landclass - Vegetation

Local=Scenery\UtLcVeg

Layer=121

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.122]

Title=SceneryTech Landclass--Africa

Local=SceneryTech\Landclass\AF

Layer=122

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.123]

Title=SceneryTech Landclass--Europe

Local=SceneryTech\Landclass\EU

Layer=123

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.124]

Title=SceneryTech Landclass--North America

Local=SceneryTech\Landclass\NA

Layer=124

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.125]

Title=SceneryTech Landclass--Asia

Local=SceneryTech\Landclass\AS

Layer=125

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.126]

Title=UT Landclass - Urban

Local=Scenery\UtLcCity

Layer=126

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.127]

Title=UT Landclass - Custom

Local=Scenery\UtLcCust

Layer=127

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.128]

Title=UT Usa Roads

Local=Scenery\UtUsaRoad

Layer=128

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.129]

Title=UT Usa Railroads

Local=Scenery\UtUsaRail

Layer=129

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.130]

Title=UT Usa Water

Local=Scenery\UtUsaWater

Layer=130

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.131]

Title=UT Usa Ground Polygons

Local=Scenery\UtUsaGP

Layer=131

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.132]

Title=UT FSX Object Repositioning

Local=Scenery\UtObjRepo

Layer=132

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.133]

Title=UT FSX Waterclass

Local=Scenery\UtWc

Layer=133

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

[Area.134]

Title=UT USA Airports

Local=Scenery\UtUsaAirports >>>>>>This was above UT Usa Ground Polygons, which caused my troubles

Layer=134

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

UTXCanada or any other terrain product here, then addon airports

Just checked my scenery.cfg file but I don't have this entry at all

[Area.134]

Title=UT USA Airports

Local=Scenery\UtUsaAirports >>>>>>This was above UT Usa Ground Polygons, which caused my troubles

Layer=134

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

UTXCanada or any other terrain product here, then addon airports

but I do have all the others in the above post.

Phil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

That's odd Phil. Have you disabled anything in the UT set up tool ? Maybe check with Anthony at the UTX forum @simforums