Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Pleasantly surprised.

I am a long time flight simmer, ( many decades) and quit about 5 years ago right after FSX came out. Had hundreds of dollars of add-ons on FS9, and didn't want to start all over again with a new version. I read about this new free version and decided to download it yesterday morning, and when I got home last night fired it up. I had given away my CH yoke, and all I had to fly with was a mouse.

The first thing, when I started it , it told me that my processor was too slow and the game probably wouldn't run very well. ( I have a Pentium 4 3.6 G and only 1 gig of ram on my current PC.) Oh well, for free, I'll try it anyway. To my surprise, not only does it run OK, but the motion is fluid, no stutters or jerks or hesitations like the ones that were common in FS9. I shot a few landings with the mouse, and had no problems at all. Only issue I had was that several times I set the mouse as the controller, and then had to reset it the next time I started to fly.

Nice piece of software, and it probably would be very good on a faster PC.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Welcome to the forums and to Flight Bob!

Yes indeed, a lot of folks were pleasantly surprised by how well Flight runs " out of the box" so to speak.

The graphics are really really good, and very smooth.

I do not know if you have yet purchased the rest of the Hawaii DLC, if you continue to enjoy consider getting it along with the Maule - there are a lot of really good challenges and missions available that are quite fun. If you do, be sure and do the Kayaker rescue mission in the Icon, it is a blast.

Who knows, you may become motivated to invest in a controller once again!

Yes,

MS FLIGHT makes our lives easy :-) It runs on older machines (5+ yo), and it does so smoothly, even when prompting you about the hardware being not up to date...

Welcome to the MS FLIGHT Forum ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have a "less than top end" machine too, and I'm glad we can adjust the graphics options to our tastes and priorities (better scenery vs better performance). I have Sharpness and Texture Quality set to high, the rest set to low, and I'm very pleased with the setup.

Welcome to the forum!

Only issue I had was that several times I set the mouse as the controller, and then had to reset it the next time I started to fly.

Instead of using the option screen to set the mouse as the controller (which is what I presume you do), you can also simply press the spacebar in flight to toggle between mouse control and no mouse control. Or do you mean that mouse control is turned off when you go to the map and back to flight again?

Yes,

MS FLIGHT makes our lives easy :-) It runs on older machines (5+ yo), and it does so smoothly, even when prompting you about the hardware being not up to date...

Welcome to the MS FLIGHT Forum ;-)

That is what really surprised me. After the warning, I expected about 3 frames per second. It is running smoother than my FS9 ever did, despite hours of tweaking I did with 9.

Welcome to the forum!

Instead of using the option screen to set the mouse as the controller (which is what I presume you do), you can also simply press the spacebar in flight to toggle between mouse control and no mouse control. Or do you mean that mouse control is turned off when you go to the map and back to flight again?

Thanks for the tip on the space bar, I was using the option screen. I may have been shutting it off accidentally by hitting the spacebar.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have found though that at least on my machine, even high quality ground textures can appear extremely low definition and "pixel-ey" Changing the anisotropic settings from my Nvidia control panel improved things noticeably.

I left Anti-aliasing alone as it seems fine as it is.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Flight certainly looks fantastic on my i5 rig.

That makes two of us :-) Never before could I have a flightsim with such settings (High) running so smoothly in a PC. My last acquisition, an i5 2500, + ASUS GTX 450, and MS FLIGHT running, made me completely forget about any other sim (well, ELITE excluded... I love that one too ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...