Sign in to follow this  
fsimpro

Migrating over to Flight: A couple questions.

Hello, I just started playing Flight, and I've enjoyed flying the small props VFR in FSX in the past. I have a couple concerns about Flight:

1. Rudder Control. In FSX, there was autorudder, where you could use the aileron axis on your joystick to control the rudder (for taxiing). Now, in Flight, there's no autorudder, so I can't turn while taxiing on the ground anymore (my joystick doesn't twist). I have to use the "mouse control mode", which, apparently, the left-right axis for ailerons controls the rudder as well. Controlling the rudder with keyboard just stinks, as many may know. Is there any workaround to have my joystick axis control BOTH aileron and rudder? Thanks.

2. Flickering runways. This occurs on the concrete and asphalt runways at the larger fields (Hilo Intl, etc). My graphics drivers are updated - is this a known issue/fix available?

Also, I'm praying that Microsoft will release some better general aviation aircraft (WITH VC, PLEASE) like the Baron58, C172, or Beech Bonanza or something. We have enough warplanes.

Thanks all!

I am not 100% sure about my answers here, but I'll try. You might out of luck in a few respects.

1. there is no auto rudder control. I believe this may a sign of the times, even the least expensive of joysticks have a twist axis. even as cheap as 20 or 30$. There is a chance it might be time to upgrade to a new joystick. For use with any recent flight oriented game, not just Flight.

2. I have not encountered flickering runways at all, nor do I recall hearing about this problem from anyone else, but that does mean much, fact is it's happening to you. What video card are you using, if I may ask?

I had the occasional flickering runway in FSX, and building but so far haven't had any flickering textures in Flight at all I don't think.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I am not 100% sure about my answers here, but I'll try. You might out of luck in a few respects.

1. there is no auto rudder control. I believe this may a sign of the times, even the least expensive of joysticks have a twist axis. even as cheap as 20 or 30$. There is a chance it might be time to upgrade to a new joystick. For use with any recent flight oriented game, not just Flight.

2. I have not encountered flickering runways at all, nor do I recall hearing about this problem from anyone else, but that does mean much, fact is it's happening to you. What video card are you using, if I may ask?

1. Well I don't have much time to fly very often, so investing in a new joystick wouldn't make sense. I hope an autorudder feature is added.

2. It's the Intel HD3000 chipset. It is an onboard (non-discrete) card, but Flight runs pretty well on medium settings with the thing (30-40fps).

Well, who knows. Anything is possible. They might very well add an autorudder feature. Maybe not.

It's great that you can get 30-40fps out of Flight, on medium settings. I get a funny feeling that the flickering runways might unfortunately be an issue for you. It's an onboard card, (although a very impressive one at it's time...it's incredible how much power can be put into an onboard cards these days!!!) it's also a bit dated, meaning those were released around, what, 2007 or so. I get irritated too at how we have to keep upgrading our hardware to accommodate newer software, but I guess it's just a reality.

All that being said, it's always possible that your flickering runways could be solved with a later patch, or a later driver for your GPU. I hope so, it's a great game and I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do!

Hi fsimpro,

Autoruder is the default mode of operation when you use your joystick. Having been what you call a hardsimmer for many years, and spent hundreds of €€ in hardware, it's curious how I end up using the mouse for control a lot more than my new x52 Pro :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Autoruder is the default mode of operation when you use your joystick.

Hm, I don't think so... I have never ever seen the ball stay in the middle automatically. I used to have autorudder on in FSX with my joystick but in Flight there clearly was no autorudder: I could see it when looking at the ball but I could also very clearly notice it during flight. How could the game know if you have rudders (twist or pedals) or not? If it would enable autorudder automatically, then you wouldn't be able to uses keys for rudderat all. And since there is no option to enable or disable autorudder and the keys for rudder always work, I also think there is no autorudder at all in the game.

I am confused......when I watch my plane in third person (only for this exercise) twisting my joystick (what would be pedals if I had them or I was in the real plane) controls my rudder, and left/right axis controls my ailerons.

I thought maybe autorudder was some system where my left/right axis would also perhaps affect my rudder...but I really don't know. As you guys know I'm pretty new to this so don't listen to me.

Autorudder (in for instance FSX) simply applies rudder automatically making sure your turns are coordinated. Flight has no autorudder so it's harder to make turns without rudder input. If you notice this or not depends on the aircraft: some planes seem to need rudder more then others. For instance the RV is easier to fly without rudder then the Stearman (imho).

Ah...thank you Jeroen....more new information. Is this only an FXW thing, or does this exist in real aircraft? Seems a bit scary actually, like losing some manual control of a very important control surface.

I think you get an autorudder effect when you fly in mouse mode? It's not very good doing any kind of aerobatics or extreme manoeuvres, but if you are just sight seeing it actually works very well. I quite often just use the mouse to fly when i'm only firing up Flight for a quick go and can't be bothered to plug my joystick in.

I think you get an autorudder effect when you fly in mouse mode? It's not very good doing any kind of aerobatics or extreme manoeuvres, but if you are just sight seeing it actually works very well. I quite often just use the mouse to fly when i'm only firing up Flight for a quick go and can't be bothered to plug my joystick in.

Correct. The mouse mode is great for getting the plane properly trimmed too... :wink: I sometimes use it as a sort of autopilot. :wink:

Right on Jeroen!

But, and if (maybee never not here in Flight), you fly a modern fighter at Mac1, don`t toutch the rudder at that speed!

Only elevator and aileron. As for the planes today in flight, use the rudder to get a "clean" turn. Make a test:

Fly straight and level, make a left turn, see how the nose rise in the turn? Just apply a little rudder to the left and

se that the nose drops down a bit and you get a clean turn. Coordinate, thats the secret.

Why the nose rise? On the right wing in a left turn the aileron goes up and causes drag, a kind of brake, and the nose rises.

Happy flights

:biggrin:

Goran Arvnell

Sorry, I meant when you use your mouse, but wrote joystick :-(

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

For instance the RV is easier to fly without rudder then the Stearman (imho).

Sorry to take this off topic a bit, but I have noticed that different planes require different amount of rudder as well and have been wondering about the differences between two relatively similar planes. A while back, I was flying the Piper Cub in FSX and noticed that it requires a lot of rudder in turns. I could never keep the ball centered as it was rolling all over the place. The Stearman also needs some rudder input in turns but much less than the Cub.I have to say I was quite discouraged when trying to fly the Cub as I couldn't seem to keep the ball anywhere near the center (kept rolling too much one when then the other). At least with the Stearman it seems easier!

Does anyone know if this is accurate or if the Cub FM is perhaps too sensitive or the Stearman is not sensitive enough? It seems like the adverse yaw for both (and amount of rudder needed to correct) should be more alike as they seem to be similar plane types although I could be wrong about that assumption. Thanks!