Sign in to follow this  
Wink207

Couple of questions - appreciate your thoughts

I've just returned to FS after a hiatus of several years and am really enjoying the return. I had a couple of questions I would appreciate your input on.

1. I am currently running FS 9 after years of FS 2002. I have an issue which has carried over concerning the auto spoiler deployment on big jets and on the biz jets I am currently flying. The issue is when I arm the auto spoilers on final, it won't stay armed. just jumps out and returns to stowed position almost immediately sometimes, and sometimes after a minute or two. Occasionally it will stay armed to touchdown and deploy as desired, but that is rare. No manner of calibrating the quadrant in Windows, FS, or FSUIPC makes any difference. Do you think this is just an artifact of my Go Flight throttle quadrant, or do others see this behavior as well. I did find, downloaded, and installed a gauge which arms and deploys the auto spoilers and thrust reverse, and that works nicely but I prefer to engage the reversers myself manually.

Thoughts??

2. My system is about 6 years old and consists of a Pentium 3.2 Gig, Radeon 1800 Pro 256, huge hard drive, FS 9, REX, Real Scene, Ultimate Traffic, and 1 Gig memory. The question is do you think my system performance in terms of frame rates would improve if I added another gig of memory.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

My system is about 6 years old and consists of a Pentium 3.2 Gig, Radeon 1800 Pro 256, huge hard drive, FS 9, REX, Real Scene, Ultimate Traffic, and 1 Gig memory. The question is do you think my system performance in terms of frame rates would improve if I added another gig of memory.

Thoughts???

You didn't mention what operating system you're running, but personally I'd want more than 1 gig of RAM for any version of Windows since at least Windows 2000. I wouldn't guarantee you'd see an increase in frames in FS9, but your whole rig should run faster and more responsively. The 3.2 Ghz processor you mentioned sounds good for FS9. I'm running an Intel dual-core at 3.0 Ghz, with a budget video card and I get great FS9 performance.

As for the auto-spoilers issue... that's a new one on me. I've never seen anyone mention anything like that before.

I can't help you on the first question, but I am sure the answer to your second one is yes. 1 gb is pretty minimal and given the low cost today, you can easily upgrade to 4 gb even though FS9 won't use it all

Cheers

Ian

Thank you for your thoughts. Sorry, yes I am running Xp and I've read where Xp can address up to 3 gig of memory. Also the newer memory may be faster than what I have now so I think I will order 2 gig and upgrade, removing the module I have now. As for the auto spoiler behavior, it must be an artifact of my throttle quadrant. I'll continue to fiddle with FSUIPC to see if I can calibrate it to work properly.

Thanks again.

Hi.

Adding more RAM will boost your performance. The next thing you may want to do is, get Windows 7 and add more RAM to 4GB. Just a thought. Good luck

Hi.

Adding more RAM will boost your performance. The next thing you may want to do is, get Windows 7 and add more RAM to 4GB. Just a thought. Good luck

Is there any real advantage in doing this as Windows 7 needs more RAM than XP which would eat up a lot of the additional RAM? I would have though it better to just increase the amount of RAM and keep XP as that was a good operating system. I would have kept XP myself but I just wasn't able to install it on my new rig so was forced to buy Windows 7.

David

I'm no expert on this, but I do trust the person who told me that Windows XP Professional is the optimum OS for FS9. His point was that XP was the system the developers used when they wrote the program and it was designed to operate under XP. I like Windows 7 but I don't think you would enhance your FS9 experience by changing to it.

Yes FS9 was designed for 32bit Operating System, it is the recommended and official OS for fs9. Unfortunately, one thing that "forced" me to migrate was the crash to desktop due to insufficient memory. Running a complex aircraft and ground textures as well as 3D clouds and other detailed environments often causes CTD. This was not a common issue when fs2004 just came out, yet more and more addons released even until now as a result fs9 becomes a more demanding software.

With 2GB RAM, I experienced so many crashes, even with 3gb userva. Since using W7 64bit, the ctd is completely gone. Some said Windows 7 is the best "add on". Especially, for those who have been haunted by sudden crash to desktop on final in a 6-8 hour flight. :). And one of my CTD wonderland was at CDG, it always happened when flying above CDG, doesn't matter if you fly hi or low, when moving to WIndows 7 everything is a happy ending :)

Cheers