Sign in to follow this  
Sorux123

KASE(Aspen) LOC/DME-E

Hello guys!

Today i was trying to perform the LOC/DME-E approach at KASE(Aspen). I'm wondering how you set up an approach like this? There are no STAR's to chose between. What i did was just add the 5 waypoints, JARGU, KICER, FIMSO, DOYPE and CEYAG into the FMC route together with the altitude restrictions(DIRECT-JARGU --- / 13400A | DIRECT-KICER --- / 12900A, etc). Also at the last waypoint(CEYAG) I set a speed restrction which was my vref speed.

I did actually completely fail the approach because i set an altitude restriction at CEYAG to 10000ft, so i ended up way to high above the airfield. But i think i could have been able to do it if i just didnt put in any alt restrictions at this waypoint. I would have to descend 3905ft within 5.7nm, which sounds doable :D

This is the first time ive done an approach that hasn't been an ILS approach, so i really had no idea on how to go about. Is the way i did it allright, or is there a completely different way of doing it?

The chart i was using can be found here http://airportnavfinder.com/charts/KASE/

Thanks for your time!

I'm not a real pilot, but looking at the LOC/DME-E chart, that's something i would hand fly, mostly like the Tegucigalpa approach. I wouldn't trust it to a FMC.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I love the ASE approaches. Don't mess with trying to program this, the FMC wont be able to fly it right. It's a very steep descent, as you saw, and you just need to plan ahead. Be configured to land before intercepting because if you're not you'll never lose enough speed before the runway.

I've done both ASE approaches in the NGX without issue but I cheated since I know the airport well and was prepared for the descent.

Also try the VOR/DME approach. The procedure turn gives you plenty of time to configure, then make sure you are configured to land when passing DBL inbound. The VOR/DME is normally easier.

Noah Bryant

You have to learn approaches before flying them...

Can you drive a manual gearbox car without knowing when to push or release clutch? You read a book and get lessons first.

It's better to learn different types of approaches in familiar to you and easy airports.

CRJ-700 is the biggest jet to fly to KASE. Even A318 certified for steep approaches can fly 5.5* only. Here we've got 6.59* and I don't think 737 it the right airplane for this approach.

Thanks for your replies guys!

It's better to learn different types of approaches in familiar to you and easy airports.

CRJ-700 is the biggest jet to fly to KASE. Even A318 certified for steep approaches can fly 5.5* only. Here we've got 6.59* and I don't think 737 it the right airplane for this approach.

Where on the chart does it say how steep the descent is, can't find it :)

I don't know which charts you have, on the Jeppesen charts it's page 11-1. Mine's dated November 11, 2011.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Check the vertical profile, between points DOYPE and CEYAG.

Oliver Branaschky

From the ASE entry in the Airport/Facility Directory:

"ARPT RESTRICTED TO MAXIMUM ACFT WINGSPAN OF 95 FT."

(the NG is about 112-117)

Not only is the 737 the wrong aircraft to attempt the approach, they wouldn't let you land there anyway. Granted, it's a sim and you're welcome to try anything you want, but you're better off flying an aircraft that's better suited to the airport.

Kyle Rodgers

Check the vertical profile, between points DOYPE and CEYAG.

Oliver Branaschky

Ah, thanks!

Not only is the 737 the wrong aircraft to attempt the approach, they wouldn't let you land there anyway. Granted, it's a sim and you're welcome to try anything you want, but you're better off flying an aircraft that's better suited to the airport.

Understood :)

Well, I use to be a controller at Aspen about 10 years ago. We would occassionally get the BBJ into the airport. I believe you can't have a BBJ on the runway and a BBJ on the taxiway at the same time, the wing tips might hit. If you have enough money, you can bring your BBJ into the airport.

As for flying the approach, it was always vectors the final approach course. The aircraft are usually at 180kts at 14,000. Flying it, you want to be dirty as soon as you can (before the descent) - sort of like London City.

I've done both ASE approaches in the NGX without issue but I cheated since I know the airport well and was prepared for the descent.

Noah, I wouldn´t consider you a cheater but rather a good aviator, as are all those who endeavour to know beforehand the airfields they´re planning to fly into. I know many young airline pilots who regularly use FSX to navigate around places they´re not familiar with and are assigned to fly to in their next cycles.

The wingspan can be worked around the real problem with KASE for the B738 is the D-100.

My first time iinto KASE was flying a C-47.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I know many young airline pilots who regularly use FSX to navigate around places they´re not familiar with and are assigned to fly to in their next cycles.

Definitely. I use it as well to get a feel for the smaller airports I fly in and out of, especially since some of them are around mountains, or prohibited airspace. As an example, before flying a friend out to OXB from JYO, I flew it in the sim first. The reason is that I'd be flying in a narrow VFR corridor that had the DC FRZ (flight restricted, we'll kill ya zone) on one side, and BWI's floor airspace on the other.

I wrote an article on it, in case anyone is interested in the story of it all:

http://kpilot13.blogspot.com/2011/08/ocean-city-for-few-hours.html

There's a pic in there where I actually added information onto the TAC using both FSX and Google Maps. Noah's definitely right about the prudent aviator doing his/her homework before the flight.

Kyle Rodgers

This is a perfect approach for the JS41, hop out of DEN and into ASE. I can't imagine how you successfully get the 737 down that glidepath angle and control speed and stop before leaving the runway.... LOL it was hard enough the first time in a turboprop!

Dan Downs KCRP