Sign in to follow this  
PilotNL

request option: no more brake failures

Hi,

I have a request for an option in the NGX.

I like the random failures, but the brake failure is IMO totally unrealistic. a single brake failure COULD happen, but it is more obvious that a single brake would have a reduced braking action.

but 2 brakes, completely dead? that is a very serious emergency situation, I don't recall that this ever happened (luckily!)

My request is to add an option to disable the brake failures whilst keeping the other random failures.

OR,. an alteration of the brake failure, as described above.

Cheers!

Rico

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk

Brake failures often occurs if brakes are abused by pilots, I don't think you ever had a failure not related to brake overtemp.

PS: The solution is simple, be more gently on brakes, let them cool before next flight.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

I've got brake overheat only after RTO. In my case 10 min was enough to cool down.

You can kill your brakes if you begin stopping at high speed, heavy weight, high OAT and high field elevation.

If i remember correctly in performance documents, there are special tables with recommended brake cooling sheldue. IMHO it's very realistic.

I dont know what your problem is, I never have a problem with my brakes. They work flawlessly everytime.

Maybe its your braking technique that's causing you problems?

I'm going to agree with those above. If you're getting dual brake failures, it doesn't sound as much like a random failure, it sounds like an induced failure. If you look at a car, your brake wear is likely even left to right. That being said, if I drive my car hard and brake hard, then I'm going to have that brake pair wear down to nothing at some point. When the pads lose all of their material, they will fail, and this will likely occur simultaneously.

So, it sounds less that the brakes are failing for a random reason (fluid leak on one side, or some other factor), and are failing simultaneously due to how they're used.

Kyle Rodgers

Do you use the period button?

I could see if I slammed my CH Pedals down everytime I needed to slow down I could see a premature failure. The keyboard brake command is all or nothing.

Chuck Biggins

Another solution could be to check you're brake type. Carbon brakes are more durable than steel. Switch and see if that helps. I tend to have heavy feet when it comes to braking...And driving but that's another story. :Tounge:

Another possible cause of the failure is that sometimes, when you save a panel state, the NGX seems to have a bug where, if you set that state as your startup state and reload the NGX, it will suddenly jump into the air and come crashing down, which results in a dual brake overheat/failure. Besides this the brakes function more realistically then any other addon I've seen.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

Nop no overheat.. just a complete random failure. I have to turn it off in the FMS..

please be a bit less speculative :)

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk

"that is a very serious emergency situation, I don't recall that this ever happened (luckily!)"

Hi Rico,

Welcome to real life, if you were a pilot (especially a Captain) you should be prepared to deal with serious emergency situations too...

Best Regards

Andrea B.

This might sound rude, but I think that problem exists between chair and keyboard (joystick). Learn to use your brakes and then they will not fail. It doesn't happen in real life because pilots are trained how to use them. Do you slam on your car brakes and lock the wheels all the time?

please be a bit less speculative :)

...or you could provide a bit more information in the original post?

Only time I ever had a dual brake failure is when I first got the NGX and was testing her out. My tests ended with some aerobatic flying and then slamming down at about -800 fpm and full brakes with full rudder left just to see what kind of failures I would get.

Brakes were gone after that!

Brake less and not as hard, they will last longer.

A huge amount of time went into the modelling of the brakes on the NGX - yes, it's realistic and no, it's not being changed. There's an entire physics simulation behind the heating of the brakes - if you abuse them they will lose effectiveness, exactly as they would in real life.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com