Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Computer Support: Unresponsive FSX

Hi guys,

I have no doubt that this community will be able to help me out on some computer advice.

Ok, so I sent back my failing western digital drive and put in the replacement, reinstalled FSX onto it.

Now, the new drive, is very noisy when loading FSX and after the aircraft selection.

My issues are, that FSX is taking a very long time to boot, and then when it does boot it is very unresponsive and I will often recieve a greyed out freeze of FSX and then a 'fsx is not responding' close now. [when changing time, position, aircraft etc].

I am going to re run the usual prime95 today, but what concerns me is that the new drive [via the western digital lifeguard software] is not showing any problems when running the quick diognostic [the other drive would lead to a read error in seconds].

What could this be? I am stumped, I am pretty sure its the harddrive, I think I should have done a proper format when recieving the hdd [via partition magic] but didn't.

What are you thoughts gentlemen?

Thank you,

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Alex, my advice for what it is worth, is to start over, format the drive, (Not a quick format) do the thorough one. Also do a disk check if you have not alrready. if you can, pop over to Simforums, hardware sub forum, NickN has instructions on the best way to set up a new drive for FSX

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Try the extended test Alex

Will do,

I double check my overclock, and have tweaked the voltages to ensure a stable. I am at 4.7 with 1.395V

Alex Ridge

I am so glad that the days of mechanical drives are slowly fading. LOL :biggrin:

hey guys,

UPDATE:

Ok so the diognostics tests went ok, until running the long full test, which went from 2 hours [to be expected] to 15hours.

I tested the speed of the drive, and I had a mountain range of spikes, every second going from 128mb to 0.4.. I can safely say that I am pretty sure this was the cause of a very unresponsive FSX :P.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Return that drive and get an SSD! :biggrin:

Return that drive and get an SSD! :biggrin:

One cannot a drive that big :)

Alex Ridge

Check your new hard drive 's technical specs. If it happens to be of those new "eco-friendly" models that dynamically change their rotation speed to conserve energy may be that is the culprit. Or if it is not a new unit but a rather a "factory-refurbished" one?

One cannot a drive that big :)

How big is your FSX installation?

Well when you have horizon simulations photoreal , orbx blue, treescapes, it gets big!

Alex Ridge