Sign in to follow this  
jp1018

Some other fun activities whilst we wait

So I discovered a couple fun things to do in Hawaii: First one is finding all the VOR stations...I've found a couple so far, and it's pretty fun searching for them. Not too hard to do, but hey...The second thing I do is cliff diving- as in find a cliff and park at the top, then slowly inch you way over and kill the engine. I've actually been able to pull back up with the engine off from the speed you get. The Third and final thing I do alot is looking for landmarks...particularly scenes from movies or weird and unusual things...I've also noticed several observatories throughout Hawaii.

Anyways, some things that keep me occupied waiting for Alaska.

Have fun!

A recent thing I do is that there is a pretty nice network of highways in the game (find a nice double-wide) Speeding down them with your plane 50 feet above the ground as they twist and turn can be quite the heart thumper, especially if you have the nerve to do it while staying below treetop level........ through the trees.

How long can you last before you hit a tree?

The ground?

Before you lose your nerve on a blind curve beneath the trees? :P

I am also having some fun with STOL's

201261114221593.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Load up your plane with charter passengers .....take off as normal...gain alttitude....press cntrl O (as in open)..add a few rolls and inverted flying.

Lots of fun....

Land on the breakwater near the cruise liner moored up at Hilo. I thought I would sink so I used the Icon first. Now I know it`s possible I will have a go with the AV or Maule !

Make sure you are on a straight bit and allow for room to take off again.lol

A recent thing I do is that there is a pretty nice network of highways in the game (find a nice double-wide) Speeding down them with your plane 50 feet above the ground as they twist and turn can be quite the heart thumper, especially if you have the nerve to do it while staying below treetop level........ through the trees.

How long can you last before you hit a tree?

The ground?

Before you lose your nerve on a blind curve beneath the trees? :P

I am also having some fun with STOL's

201261114221593.jpg

Yes, I have done this before-another great one!

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!

LdwRz.jpg

It was all fun and games until somebody put a tree right next to the drainage ditch. :Phbbbt:

I don't have any screenshots, but I like taking the Maule up at Barking Sands on Kaui, head up to the hills and find difficult spots on the ridges where I can land, stop, look around, and then take off again successfully. It's another heart-pounding Flight activity that taxes your piloting skills to the limit.

The other night a couple of guys set up a dogfight session. Taking turns, 2 people at a time would climb to 10,000', turn towards each other, and try to get the other "in his sights." Everyone else watched the planes from the map screen, and judged the "winner."

To make things fair, everybody used the same type of plane -- free or otherwise.

The other night a couple of guys set up a dogfight session. Taking turns, 2 people at a time would climb to 10,000', turn towards each other, and try to get the other "in his sights." Everyone else watched the planes from the map screen, and judged the "winner."

To make things fair, everybody used the same type of plane -- free or otherwise.

And then there was this one nitwit, who didn't know what was going on, who kept flying over the airfield...

Sorry ; )

Here's one I been trying (without success so far.)

Take the freebie P-51 and try and land at the observatory at the top of the big island. I've crashed many times, but have never been able to make a nice touchdown.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Sorry, I left my plane on top of the Waikiki Hilton and they won't let me go back up there to get it.

A7Ts3.jpg

That one took a few tries, too. The roof is remarkably hard to get stopped on.

Or, diverting from MS FLIGHT and going to the streets...

Turn On "British Humor Mode" first....

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3S-waEPK5V0[/media]

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Oh, I love British Humor Mode. It's one of my favorite settings!

That reminded me of one my personal favorite videos...

Of course, it's more funny to me because I know most of those guys in it. :drinks:

And in retrospect, it's really not that funny at all unless you're a P-3 guy. Feel free to not watch it! You do kinda have to have been there.

You have been warned!

http://video.google....713845142828957

Sorry for the crappy quality. It was recorded on VHS.

Whow! I have a few p-3 next to me at Montijo Airbase operated by the Portuguese Airforce.

;-)

http://www.aviation-photos.nl/Country/Portugal/Montijo.htm

Just to think they used ADA for some of their systems programming :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...