Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

I was just cleaning my computer form junk, and I realized that FS2004 takes a couple of gigs of my memory. Anyway, I was wondering if I can run FS9 on a flash drive, if I copied the whole folder there. Anyone tried this before? Has it worked? The reason I'm considering doing this is because my computer isn't the best machine out there, but works fairly with FS9. I have plenty of memory, but I know that without FS2004 my computer will work better. Thanks for viewing!

Just for the sake of understanding, let me ask you this: are you suggesting that uninstalling a single program from your computer, one which does not run in the background constantly nor is loaded automatically on startup will make your computer faster?

If that is what you are suggesting, I can tell you that you be disappointed with the results. If however you are simply running out of hard drive space and want to gain some by uninstalling a fairly large program, you can indeed do so but again, you will likely be disappointed with the outcome there as well.

So what is it you want to do, exactly?

I have McAfee, and it does does the backround full scans and checks through all my FS stuff, so it takes like forever and slows down everything. I was thinking of only putting Addon Scenery that I don't always use on a flash drive, and transferring it to the Addon Scenery folder whenever I use it. Same with aircraft, with the exception of AI planes. I want my computer to work faster, that's why I'm considering this. Before cleaning stuff off my computer, it worked slower. Now it works better. The stuff I took off isn't big software or something, it's .docx, uneeded folders, music, not big files, but a lot. As far as hard disk space, I have like 183 GB available, and a total of 283 GB. So I've used 100 GB, and FS takes about 12 GB of that 100 GB.

I suppose you could do this, though I don't see the advantage. If you do this though I think you should edit your scenery.cfg and change your scenery paths from local to remote. that way they will be cached on HDD when accessed. In general though I think flash via USB is a bit slow.

scott s.

Get rid of McAfee. Install Microsoft Security Essentials. Your problems will be largely solved.

Thanks for your advice. I should try MS Security Essentials. I'm waiting for my McAfee subscription to end!