Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

REX Essential weather engine comparison pix with ASE and FSWxLite

I thought it would be interesting to compare the REX Essential weather engine with ActiveSKy Evolution and FsWxLite. Below are the screenshot comparisons.

The airfield is Liege where the current METAR is:

EBLG 122020Z 06003KT 7000 SHRA BKN032TCU 13/11 Q1009 TEMPO 5000 TSRA

Textures are all REX Essential (textures selected automatically by REX to suit the TAF). Pic 1 is with the REX weather engine. Pic 2 with FsWxLite and Pic 3 ASE.

Make your own minds up :)

REX Essential

FsWxLite

ActiveSky Evolution

hmmm....me thinks in this case we have a clear winner....btw , which setting is it that allows REX to choose textures based on METAR ?

cheers

Greg

hmmm....me thinks in this case we have a clear winner....btw , which setting is it that allows REX to choose textures based on METAR ?

cheers

Greg

Hey Greg,

You click on WEATHER then select Real-Weather Data, then when the REAL-TIME WEATHER screen comes up type in your four letter ICAO code for the airport you want the weather for. Once that has appeared click on WX TEXTURES (bottom of screen) and it will install textures based on the airfield weather you selected.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Adam

Nice comparison indeed. Can't wait for REX-E for OD, so I can update.

Hi,

even though the REX pic is better looking and very dramatic (I really like it!) the METAR string only reports a BKN032TCU (you say TAF, but I read a METAR up there, so I guess it's just a misunderstanding), so I'd expect only one layer of convecitve clouds. ASE and the other are more correct for that ( I assume you're at the same exact location and altitude). What I never liked in ASE (never tried FSXwxlite) was the CB, and also TCU, representation, as they seem to end too low. Cloud's top is way too low in TS, always, and I give you that, maybe REX tries to make more layers to increase the cloud's top because of some FSX limitations...don't know. Anyway, textures are really good :) But I can't fly without historical weather, so ASE is the only way for me..

Cheers

Fede

the METAR string only reports a BKN032TCU (you say TAF, but I read a METAR up there, so I guess it's just a misunderstanding), so I'd expect only one layer of convecitve clouds.

Mind the TCU. REX-E is the only one showing those for example. Towering Cumulus.

Besides, the (-)SHRA situation is the one giving me some constant rain on/off switch with ASE and I never found a mode to circumvent this pretty annoying change. Think about 2 seconds of rain, then 2 dry, and so on. It also switches the ground textures from dry to wet in that interval. If it's just my system, forget about that point, but it only happens with ASE here.

Hi,

even though the REX pic is better looking and very dramatic (I really like it!) the METAR string only reports a BKN032TCU (you say TAF, but I read a METAR up there, so I guess it's just a misunderstanding), so I'd expect only one layer of convecitve clouds. ASE and the other are more correct for that ( I assume you're at the same exact location and altitude). What I never liked in ASE (never tried FSXwxlite) was the CB, and also TCU, representation, as they seem to end too low. Cloud's top is way too low in TS, always, and I give you that, maybe REX tries to make more layers to increase the cloud's top because of some FSX limitations...don't know. Anyway, textures are really good :) But I can't fly without historical weather, so ASE is the only way for me..

Cheers

Fede

Hi Fede

You're quite correct I have changed the text to read METAR instead of TAF. I got confused as the REX engine reads the TAF not the METAR. There wasn't too much difference between the two from what I remember.

The pix were all taken from the same location and altitude. All I did was close each program, clear the weather, open program and run the sim briefly to allow weather injection.

The one big advantage I find with REX E is that I'm getting a much better perception of "depth" as I climb through the FL's. It appears to produce more clearly defined layers of weather compared to ASE and FsWxLite.

Cheers

Adam

There's no TCU texture in FSX, CU or CB, unfortunately, that's it. They can be compared to a CB, if you want, but they tend to have a solid cloud base height (being convective..) There can't be an inversion in between, afaik..that's what I meant.

I've never had the issue you are experiencing with rain in ASE, but I use DWC. I'm not saying ASE is perfect or whatsoever, it has its issues for sure..

Hey Adam, I'm sure it looks good, I saw many screenies around. I love the way fog is reproduced especially (mist too). They surely did an outstanding job with the wx engine, but the "core" is always FSX, so I guess it'll never be perfect. We have to choose the one we prefer (or the cheaper one!! :) ).

Cheers

There's no TCU texture in FSX, CU or CB, unfortunately, that's it.

Right you are, but we may agree that it's nice to see a weather program actually trying to establish the towering visual nature within the limits of FSX.

I've never had the issue you are experiencing with rain in ASE, but I use DWC.
Same here (DWC mode), but I've tried the others. No change. Thanks for your feedback.

Totally agree ;)

What bugs me with rain in ASE though, is when it rains above clouds! :) And other visibility issues as well, but I don't want to hijack this thread :)

What bugs me with rain in ASE though, is when it rains above clouds! :)

Haha, I think I've already got used to that phenomenon. But, right again, me is hijacking the thread. :unsure:

Returning to the intended use, I will uninstall REX OD now and go for REX-E (without OD so far) to check the new features and compare them to ASE and FSRealWx myself. Very excited due to the above comparison, but I'm also interested in the downsides and usability of the new engine.

Nice Comparison. I am enjoying Essantials so far and look forward to the OD package as well.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Nice. What's the "load" time in REX vs ASE? I've always found REX weather to take forever to load.

Stan

Nice. What's the "load" time in REX vs ASE? I've always found REX weather to take forever to load.

Stan

Still takes ages to load - AS2012 takes a small fraction of the time REX takes for weather loading and interpolation.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."