Sign in to follow this  
Chock

A quick fly by of Pro ATC

My favourite is when I refer to it as 'the United States of Freedom' when speaking to my American buddies. That one always elicits an ironic groan from them following the more recent PC-obsessed legislations in the US that also plague Europe, which they often complain about, and which, as in Europe, I understand have made it anything but that in a lot of ways.

Al

You certainly have a way with words my friend and very well put. Back in the 60's when I was a teenager, we were obsessed with the term "Big Brother is Watching".

I am now what is called a "Libertarian". Basically, we want government out of our way, but the majority of this country is getting very used to having their hand out rather than making an honest living. This is sometimes referred to as a "Nanny State" mentality. I better stop right here before I get myself in trouble.

Anyway, I hope someone can reply about FAA ATC and how this software handles this.

Bob

Yup, you can completely disable the co pilot's actions in Pro ATC if you like, and then you could just use its ATC and flight planning functions alongside FS2Crew.

Bit of a harsh summation there, and whilst there is truth in it, to be fair, only one of those you mention is absolutely correct: It actually does interact with the AI, just not UT's AI, so if we are being completely fair, that's an incompatibility with another product, not an incompatibility with FSX, and one presumes with a tweak it could be made to work with others; you can in fact amend your flight plan; not sure what you mean about flying 100 miles out of your way for no reason, I've not seen it do that, but if someone else has, then fair enough; crashes - yup, but only once so far on me, and let's be honest, what program has not done that?; windows close, yup that is absolutely the case, and that is a pain in the arse too, but as much as it is a pain, it is not a total show stopper, it just adds a minute or two to knocking a flight plan together. I definitely want them to sort it out though, because it is annoying.

So I agree that some of these things are concerns, but I would not say they preclude us from watching this product with interest, nor indeed from using it, but I certainly do think they make the price tag a bit hard to swallow in its present state, and don't exactly make you fall hopelessly in love with it at the moment, although I do really rate the co pilot function pretty highly.

Just had an email saying there's a patch out which fixes some issues incidentally.

EDIT: From a quick test, that patch seems to have fixed the window closing randomly problem.

Al

Sounds like they are patching some of the problems. I too will check back on this in a few months

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Sounds like they are patching some of the problems. I too will check back on this in a few months

Yep I agree. I was out camping and fishing last weekend and was so hopeing to get home Sunday afternoon and see reviews that made this the ATC so badly needed in FSX. It does seem that it may be a while til we can make a decision on this addon. Their webste is a bit weak on information and so far not much interaction here on line with the developers. I should quickly add that all can been forgiven if they are busy working on the stuff already mentioned, which I strongly suspect is the case. It is great to have hope for this area of FSX once again!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Yep I agree. I was out camping and fishing last weekend and was so hopeing to get home Sunday afternoon and see reviews that made this the ATC so badly needed in FSX. It does seem that it may be a while til we can make a decision on this addon. Their webste is a bit weak on information and so far not much interaction here on line with the developers. I should quickly add that all can been forgiven if they are busy working on the stuff already mentioned, which I strongly suspect is the case. It is great to have hope for this area of FSX once again!!

I very much agree with the weak presentation on the website but mostly with the lack of interaction of the dev(s). Take "Ideal Flight" as an example. They came out of nowhere, but because of their unprecedented involvement with community, it allowed potential customers to feel very comfortable. They were taking suggestions on features and thanking everyone for their involvement. To top it off, releases were streaming in at a very fast pace. I bought the product early on because of this. I knew the dedication was there and they proved it. To me this is a business model that all new business should take a look at. RealAir does not need to say much anymore as everyone knows what the end result will be. This product is something that is needed and I do wish them success, but I invite them to get a little more involved at this point in time.

Bob

The vectoring is more sophisticated than the default ATC. For example, it will say things such as, 'Bravo 232, steer 110, you are cleared to the BIMBO intersection up to 12,000, expect further clearance in less than ten minutes' rather than simply giving you headings and altitudes. A lot depends on the sophistication of your route and how you create it, but it is massively more convincing than the default ATC, that is for sure.

Yes, the checklists are different for aircraft, and you can in fact create your own too, which is pretty simple to do, being all menu-driven with drop down selections in windows. And it is a very comprehensive list of items which you can choose from, so it is unlikely that you would not be able to create one to your satisfaction so long as you had some reference for the real aircraft. As I've noted before, the co pilot system is one of its real strong points. The co pilot and checklist customisation in Pro ATC is actually very close to MCE's capabilities in many ways, albeit without voice control, although I believe that too is on the way.

Dunno about the FAA stuff, not flown with it in Uncle Sam land yet. Maybe someone who has done so can answer that one.

Al

Thanks. I would however, still like to know if I should $44 towards RC4, or $62 into Pro ATC. Anyone have a suggestion?

If you want more 'on the fly' ATC capability, such as being able to declare an emergency or divert, and the ability to use voice commands to talk to ATC with something like MCE, plus a bit more flexibility on what flight planner to use, then Radar Contact will let you do that and would be the one to go for. If you want what Pro ATC offers with its built in flight planner, co pilot and ATC, then go for that. Only you can decide which one of those solutions suits you best.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just a H/U.....Pro ATC now has forum up and running.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

Just a H/U.....Pro ATC now has forum up and running.

Thanks,,, just registered

Bob

Thanks,,, just registered

Bob

Welcome and thanks for the kind and tasteful words in you sig. reference VETS AND MILITARY. Rerired USAF 1Sgt hereAmerican%20Flag.gif

Sam

Welcome and thanks for the kind and tasteful words in you sig. reference VETS AND MILITARY. Rerired USAF 1Sgt hereAmerican%20Flag.gif

Your welcome Sarge. I donate much of my engravings to the families who have lost someone here in SE Texas through the Patriot Guard Riders.

I thank you so much for your service!!

Regards

Bob

Just registered on the Pro ATC forum, not much on there yet of course, it being new.

Al

Alan Bradbury

I tempted to get this but I already have rc4,pfe and voxatc.I'm looking for a good enough reason to buy it.is there anything I'd gain from buying this ? I like the flight planning thing but if I understand correctly it is as good of a flight planner as the ms one?

Any of you tried planning a transatlantic flight ? Does proatc get nats off the internet ?

Top one is EGLL to KJFK, bottom one is KJFK to EGLL, so no, they are not daily NAT tracks. You could probably tweak them, but then again, you could do that in the default FS planner too actually.You would gain the nice co pilot function though, which is nice for checklists and cockpit assistance, but whether you think that's worth it is another matter.

1-69.jpg

Al

Alan Bradbury

Voice recognition will be an extra fee once implemented. Darn!!

Anyone created any new voice sets?

Bob