Movies average but why did you try to completly deafen me???.....John

Needs some tripods and stable mounts. Maybe a little bit less LMFAO.

Hehe wasn't trying to deafen anyone. The LMFAO was just for giggles cause usually for scenes like the one with lmfao playing there's usually dramatic music so I was just trying to make it funny. As for the tripod... We tried but it did not quite workout as planned. So we stuck with handheld. It is quite shaky so sorry for that haha. I'm investing in a gopro!

Great video- the thing that caught my attention was the last few captions for the spotting part and the one text-only screen just after them. They were pretty fast- I had to pause or go back again to read them.

Anyhow- good work overall!

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Great video- the thing that caught my attention was the last few captions for the spotting part and the one text-only screen just after them. They were pretty fast- I had to pause or go back again to read them.

Anyhow- good work overall!

Yeah I noticed that too. I got so caught up in trying to make the movie as short as I could. I had 48 minutes of footage and I had to cut it down to 6 minutes or less. Next time I'll do better! Thanks for watching!

It's very good on the whole, you've done some nice on the beat jump cuts in the flying sequence for example.

Some of how you go with the final edit will depend on what your project is actually for. If for example it was for a flying school, then one can avoid telling people stuff they probably already know, but if it was intended to be viewed by a more general audience, then you might like to either add a narration occasionally, or throw in a few captioned rostrum camera shots to explain what things are.

You could actually use screenshots from FS for this, i.e. when you zoom to the radio, you could then briefly cut to a still or genttle tracking/zoom pic of a radio stack, explaining what it is with either captions or a quick voice-over, then cut back to your live footage. That kind of thing is more helpful to viewers who don't know what all the dials and switches in a cockpit do, although you would of course only want to do that kind of thing briefly, so as not to interfere with the pacing of the film.

Pointing out things such as the need to use the controls for what looked like a fair bit of a crosswind would also be of interest to people who knew little about aeroplanes. You don't actually need to do all that, but it might make it a bit more educational, which would be good if that was your intent for the film. If it was just meant to be a fun clip then of course one does not have to get too preachy about information.

Something else to consider: The font for the captions, which I think was Brush Script or something based upon it, is regarded as a bit of a joke in the professional film-making world, where it often gets referred to with disparaging nicknames such as, 'the mini-cab' font and, 'the church newsletter font', alluding to its overly-common use with crappy small businesses for their not very inspired logos and that kind of thing. So I would certainly choose a different font if you want to look a bit more 'pro'.

I thought it was pretty good though, don't worry about some of the footage being shaky, it kind of adds to the documentary feel of it, although if you do want to steady the footage up a bit, it is possible to do so in Adobe After Effects (even on the free demo version of it), by using the tracker in the Stabilise Motion feature, which is very easy to use. There are tons of video tutorials on youtube about how to use that, so it does not take long to learn how to do it.

Good job though. I liked it, it had a fun feel.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It's very good on the whole, you've done some nice on the beat jump cuts in the flying sequence for example.

Some of how you go with the final edit will depend on what your project is actually for. If for example it was for a flying school, then one can avoid telling people stuff they probably already know, but if it was intended to be viewed by a more general audience, then you might like to either add a narration occasionally, or throw in a few captioned rostrum camera shots to explain what things are.

You could actually use screenshots from FS for this, i.e. when you zoom to the radio, you could then briefly cut to a still or genttle tracking/zoom pic of a radio stack, explaining what it is with either captions or a quick voice-over, then cut back to your live footage. That kind of thing is more helpful to viewers who don't know what all the dials and switches in a cockpit do, although you would of course only want to do that kind of thing briefly, so as not to interfere with the pacing of the film.

Pointing out things such as the need to use the controls for what looked like a fair bit of a crosswind would also be of interest to people who knew little about aeroplanes. You don't actually need to do all that, but it might make it a bit more educational, which would be good if that was your intent for the film. If it was just meant to be a fun clip then of course one does not have to get too preachy about information.

Something else to consider: The font for the captions, which I think was Brush Script or something based upon it, is regarded as a bit of a joke in the professional film-making world, where it often gets referred to with disparaging nicknames such as, 'the mini-cab' font and, 'the church newsletter font', alluding to its overly-common use with crappy small businesses for their not very inspired logos and that kind of thing. So I would certainly choose a different font if you want to look a bit more 'pro'.

I thought it was pretty good though, don't worry about some of the footage being shaky, it kind of adds to the documentary feel of it, although if you do want to steady the footage up a bit, it is possible to do so in Adobe After Effects (even on the free demo version of it), by using the tracker in the Stabilise Motion feature, which is very easy to use. There are tons of video tutorials on youtube about how to use that, so it does not take long to learn how to do it.

Good job though. I liked it, it had a fun feel.

Al

Thanks! That was very helpful! I will definately consider the things you said. And for the audience, it wasn't for pilots or aviation enthusiasts, it was for my film teacher and my class to give them a feel of why flying is awesome! That's why I tried to make it have a happy mood and a few giggles here and there just to keep their attention. Otherwise I would've gone into more detail and I would make it longer than 6 minutes haha. Thanks again :)

Martin

In that case, leave it as it is, it's got a really good fun feel to it.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Sort of like what Al said, the video would be a lot more interesting if you added in some voice-over commentary. Other than that, fantastic!