Sign in to follow this  
flightsimfan912

Windows 7 FSX Fatal Error fix (or suggestion)

This is my first post in the AVSIM forum as I am new to forum but not to the website (actually been downloading aircraft for a few years actually).

Anyway, here's my background. I first got interested in FSX back in 2008 when I first started loving flying. I found the Airport Tycoon series and bough the 2nd and 3rd one. I love the airport management simulation genre but I didn't actually get to fly the airplanes - just watch them come and go - buggily ( :) ).

I found FSX after doing a simple figuring out that, hey, maybe if there's an airport sim, maybe there's a simulator where I can fly the airplanes!!!

Of course, after a simple google search I found my life's dream: being a pilot. I have been on countless Alaska Airlines flights and have always wanted to fly aircraft myself. I gladly purchased FSX 6 years ago and have not regretted a penny paying $50.00 for it, maybe I've gone through 4 copies though :).

Enough Background. I got a laptop for Christmas last year becaue I wanted FSX to perform better (while at the time i did not know the difference between laptop gaming and desktop gaming). So I get FSX installed and it works flawlessly for a few months. That's when I started getting these crappy Fatal Error screen that started P me off, and so I almost gave up flight simulator as I could not find a fix to my problem

My laptop is a Windows 7 and I thought it would solve everything I had, well, of course it didn't.

It would take about a year to save up for a desktop ($1300) with 8 GB ram, 640 GB hard drive, i7 processors, Nvidia graphics, everythin FSX needed to run smoothly. Well of course my fatal errors kept happening! I'm like what will it take to fix these problems??!?!?

I'm pleased to find that I have finally found the fix(or at least a good suggestion) to Fatal Errors in FSX on Windows 7 when you switch between menus. Either most of you know about this possible fix or none of you do, I'm speaking to the ones who still can't fix this problem.

It's a simple solution. I heard If you put FSX inside C:\Program Files(x86), FSX will surely get fatal errors because, absurdly, FSX does NOT, and never will, have the required permissions to fully work! You have to place FSX in a folder inside the Root of C:\ or some place other than C:\Program files(x86). I tried this and and I have run several KBOI (Home Airport)-> KSEA(Birth airport - Born in Seattle :) ) Ffights with the Horizon Air Dash 8 Q400 that you can download on flightsim (My favorite airplane to fly) fatal error-less. Smooth as clockwork. Not a cinch of a problem. This must be the fix to the error.

Now I realize I may be over-hyping this as some may already know about and have spread this around, but this is for people who still don't know and have their FSX inside C:\Program Files(x86). Changing the UAC or whatever will still not work. I tried it but I had no success.

I now laugh at myself as it took me 4 years to figure out that all I had to do was to place FSX in a different folder. LOL. If anyone is still having this problem even after trying this out I'll try to help but I'm not much help after this.

Look for me around in the forums. Sorry if I'm overhyping this it's just that some people may not know about this fix.

Peace!

Also of note, I tried to download uiautomationcore.dll(it worked) but it did not fix these problems. No .dll downloading is required.

Also, I deleted the uiautomationcore.dll in the SysWow folder and the Sys32 folder, not sure if that makes a difference though.

Some good experience there, 912! You've hit on a fix which most simmers that have been frequenting the Avsim forums for more than a month already know about, and use, but every now and then someone will still put it in that folder! It's never a waste of space to put posts like this on the site.

Regarding the UIAutomationCore.dll..... and you probably already know this, but it's also worth repeating, too. Occasionally FSX will call some routine from within that .dll, and if it's the Windows 7 version, sooner or later FSX will freeze - not necessarily a black screen, but unmoving and with the sound just continuing.

It's usually fixed by the placing of version 6.0.5840.16386 of the dll in the FSX root folder... what you might not know is that if you have removed the original dll there may well be other programs, newer, maybe other games, PhotoShop, Itunes, whatever - on your pc that may need routines that are contained in the Windows 7 version of that dll - and they will also hang - maybe crash if it/they can't find the needed library file. Just for peace of mind, if you haven't already fixed it - it is here, if you want to download and rename it, and then stick it back into it's original location. It won't affect FSX, providing you have the older version in FSX's root folder, and the other apps that need it will now be happy.

Oh - yes - "Welcome to Avsim!"

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks. I do realize some people may already know about this fix but I couldn't find anywhere where there was a fix like this otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

Stupid Microsoft, Why couldn't they be nice? :)

Also I do realize uiautomationcore.dll is essential for some programs like Photoshop, but I don't really think you need it for FSX. I think I said it in the original post, that I tried placing the uiautomationcore.dll in the FSX folder when I had it in Program Files (x86) but it still didn't help. I don't currently have it in FSX in C:/Games/Flight Simulator x (new custom folder) but it's been working great. Once I got an unresponsive flight simulator program (like what you said) that caused me to lose a BOI - DEN flight, I think I can track it to uiautomationcore.dll, but I haven't had the problem since.

Guest firehawk44

It's a simple solution. I heard If you put FSX inside C:\Program Files(x86), FSX will surely get fatal errors because, absurdly, FSX does NOT, and never will, have the required permissions to fully work!

That's a good fix and it has been discussed frequently here and on other AVSIM forums (sometimes very heatedly). I'm one of those 'stupid, unbelievable idiots' (what I call myself, not anything you said) who installed in the default path and have absolutely no issues whatsoever with FSX and I have been using it for years in the default location. So that does not cause crashes, something else does. Maybe an addon made for an earlier version of flight simulator. A bad overclock, a corrupted driver... I don't know. But I do not have crashes and that's why I frequent this forum to help others who are not as lucky. Like you said, you ran your laptop for a long time in the default location without a problem then suddenly you began having crashes so you reinstalled it to another location outside the default and now it works great. Well, reinstalling FSX, whether in the default location or in another folder, makes a lot of things a lot better and fixes many problems. There are several individuals who have gone to a non-default location and have not had a crash since doing it. But, what happens if they do start getting crashes? Move it to another location again? There have been people who have posted here who had their install in a non-default location and had a CTD. As I have stated several times on this forum and others, FSX developers and addon developers use the Microsoft Visuals for installation of their programs and to make sure they run right (most of them do). They usually install the appropriate MSV that they used for development. According to Google and Microsoft experts, these MSV's are not backward compatible. They were used for a specific application for FSX. So there's an issue there if you don't have the MSV's for 2005, 2008, and 2010 (and soon 2012) installed and up-to-date. The Microsoft.net framework software must be installed too. This was used by developers to help run their addons and to manage memory for their programs. FSX/Acceleraton are old programs and you need dotnet versions 1 thru 4 installed as they too are not backward compatible (think this is why a lot of people have a problem with that uiautomationcore.dll as that is part of the dotnet program. You need all versions). Now I do have all versions installed as they were installed with the addons I installed (if not already on my system). I did not go to the dotnet website or MSV website and download all the versions. It was done when I installed FSX/Acceleration and all my addons. There's also a change 1 to the 2005 MSV that didn't make it in the Acceleration program and that needs to be installed too.

Anyway, your reinstallation to another directory works too and that's great. Someone else can enjoy FSX. I really appreciate your input as it will help many others who come to this forum looking for a fix to their CTD.

Best regards,

Jim

firehawk44, If I remember correctly my dotnet framework was updated.

I think I said this above, but the UAC settings for Windows 7 will never allow FSX to work properly in Program Files (x86). Why? Who knows. Microsoft probably wanted better security for Windows users so programs won't alter or change the way files or processes(that Windows 7 needs to work) so that Windows 7 won't crash, etc.

If people get crashes outside of Program Files (x86) they shouldn't be Fatal Errors as FSX will be able to do all that it needs to work right; they should be getting Not responding errors (not fatal errors) and these errors track down to Windows 7, NOT FSX, to which uiautomationcore.dll could be the fix, but I haven't had an issue with the errors yet.

Guest firehawk44

If I remember correctly my dotnet framework was updated

That's good but make sure you have versions 1 thru 4, then run Windows update. Look in C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework. You should have versions 1.0.3705 through 4.0.30319.

the UAC settings for Windows 7 will never allow FSX to work properly in Program Files (x86)

I have UAC disabled as I don't like those occasional nag warnings. Maybe this is helping me but you stated in your OP that disabling does not prevent CTD's. I'm trying to be friendly and tactful in my response here as this could lead to serious arguments as has occurred in the past when others (not me) discussed this issue. I'm just saying I have everything in the default FSX folder and do not get the crashes so I'm thinking its not a for sure solution to put FSX in another non-x86 folder. If it works for you though, that's great and you should continue with your setup. I would still look at your dotnet installation and MSV's.

Again, thanks for your suggestion. I hope FSX continues to work great for you!

Best regards,

Jim

Hi,

Nice to see someone who lives in the same area. Home airport is KEUL birth is KJFK. moved here from L.A 12 years ago :)

Wel this is something what i have to try when i get home. But where should i move fsx if not program files (x86)? I've been getting fatal errors since i started using fsx.

This is a very old topic and this is an old recommendation of placing your FSX installation in a folder other than the default.  Many computer experts recommend placing FSX in a folder other than the x86 folder (such as C:\FSX or D:\FSX).  UAC should still be turned off.  I have had my installation in the default folder since I bought Windows 7 (day of release) and I have never had any problems.  Now I occasionally get the StackHash and the ntdll.dll error but those are common to high settings or other FSX anomalies.  It has nothing to do with where the folder is located.  I have never placed the uiautomationcore.dll in my main FSX folder except to test a version to see if it actually does fix a ntdll.dll or stackhash or api.dll crash.  It doesn't.  In fact, this forum has hundreds of examples of individuals getting a CTD with the uiautomationcore.dll in their main fsx folder.  I asked them to remove it and the CTD's went away.  I have positive proof in this forum that placing your installation in a folder other than the default will NOT stop a crash as we ask everyone to post their AppCrashView report and it shows me exactly where FSX was installed.  No, the facts are that FSX uses a lot of Virtual Address Space (VAS) and that eventually causes the crash/freeze in most cases.  What causes FSX to use a lot of VAS?  High FSX settings especially the scenery sliders and the Autogen slider.  Autogen eats up VAS so fast it's amazing FSX even runs anymore as almost everyone with high-powered computers turn up their settings.  It even happened in Lockheed Martin's P3D but they were able to reduce the memory usage.  FSX is no longer under development so it cannot be fixed.  VAS is not part of your system RAM (you could have 32 GB's of RAM and FSX could care less), and it is not part of your Page File (Virtual Memory).  AVSIM has some recommended settings in the FSX Configuration Guide and the AVSIM CTD Guide (both are located under Hot Spots to the right of this forum).  You can monitor your VAS with the freeware or registered version of FSUIPC and see how fast it is being depleted.  Startup FSX/P3D and then enter the Addon Menu and select FSUIPC.  Once FSUIPC is open, click on the Logging Tab and enter 024C under Offset and select S32 under Type. Select where you would like to have the usage displayed.  The FS Window is for Full Screen sessions.  The FS Title Bar is for Windowed Mode.  AVSIM recommends you also check the Normal log file as this provides you information on how much VAS you had to start out with and then it logs usage throughout your flight.  When it starts getting low, you will see FSX slowing down dramatically until it CTD's or freezes up.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Uiautomationcore.dll actually seems to work with me. Im not 100% sure but today it looked good. I wouldnt want to shut off uac because it protecs my computer from me :D

I have fatal errors but when I view 'event view' they relate to .....

MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.6195 (many times in last week)

ntdll.dll (once)

uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.0.0.0 (several times )and

unknown, version: 0.0.0.0 (*many times)

Any thoughts. I have read about the uia.... issue but have not tried that fix. What are the others.

Thanks

Firehawk, the FSX Configuration Guide is great! I had run across some of this b4 but it is great to have it all some handy and in one document. I am working my way through the CTD pdf now. A lot of it may be beyond me but it is great as well.

Thanks!

Firehawk, I am a believer in your contention that Virtual Address Space (VAS) is the culprit for, at least, my issues with Fatal Errors, especially those occurring as menus are changed/accessed w/n FSX AND when, in particular, I access my flight plan via the knee board. I think I read also that mse files use VAS as well AND THAT ALL mse files are a load on FSX unless they are turned off in the scenery area of FSX.

So here is what I have done, after a rash of FEs recently.

1. 'Unchecked' all mse and other add on scenery files EXCEPT Orbx FTX- Global. Flew several flight in Arizona. NO PROBLEMS

2. Added a Bullhead City- Laughlin airport scenery add on. Flew to GCN airport. NO PROBLEM

3. Added Oz Grand Canyon/GCN airport scenery and flew back to Bullhead City. No Problems.

In all of the above, I constructed flight plans w/n FSX and had no problems accessing them during flight (this is where I would usually freeze up and CTD. Also, without all my mse scenery (10-12 packages) FTX initiate much faster AND setup within the program (i.e. changing planes, time, etc.) went faster.

4. Added on a mse module i.e. Utah and flew a flight plan in Arizona and Utah. No Problems

5. Stated using Plan G to track flight. Flew another Arz/Utah flight plan. No problems.

6. Created a flight plan using Plan G and used it w/n FSX. Flew another AZ/Utah flight plan with all the same parameters as above. No Problems.

7. Loaded up FS Global Mesh into FSX and flew a similiar flight Plan with all the above AND FS Global. No Problems!

According to my LogbookPro I have flown 8.5 hours during this experiment (all with the same plane). I will continue to test by adding contiguous mse modules and small airport scenery add-ons. I will post again later.

However, because of this experience and the faster responsiveness of FSX in bootup and setup, with few mse modules activated at any one time, henceforth I plan to only utilize those mse modules that I anticipate flying into. Probably could also turn the on and off within FSX, while flying, as you enter and exit an area.

PS My set sliders in FSX were set pretty high and not changed during all the above flights!

Global Texture: Very High

FR Target:40

Level of Detail Radius: Max

Mesh Complexity: Max

Mesh Resolution: 5m

Texture Resolution: 7cm

Water Effect: Low2x

Scenery Complexity: Max

Autogen: Very Dense

Special Effects: Medium

Good flying!