Sign in to follow this  

This Saturday at 10:30 a.m mountain time (1630z) I will be opening the Colorado Springs Approach facility on VATSIM with the goal of attracting rookie VATSIM pilots.

That first flight or two is usually a pretty big hurdle for pilots as it can be very intimidating. Especially when something doesn't go as expected. This way you know you'll have an easy and friendly flight where you are encouraged to ask questions.

Recommended flight

Here is the recommended flight but you are welcome to fly wherever you like. Many VATSIM pilots have never flown VFR so this is a great time to try that out as well.

KCOS- KPUB- KCOS

IFR Flight Plan:

Leg 1: COS3.PUB

Leg 2: PUB BRK

VFR Flight Plan:

Leg 1: PUB (116.7)

Leg 2: BRK (112.5)

Recommended Aircraft

Use whatever plane you like, but this is a very short flight so a twin or single prop would probably be best.

Rules:

Please read the VATSIM PRC prior to your flight. It's expected that you will have familiarized with the procedures involved. You're not expected to be an expert (none of us are) and you're welcome to ask questions.

Know you're aircraft. Don't fly your shiny new NGX if you don't consider yourself an expert in it. No matter what plane you use, make sure you are able to descend or climb to an assigned altitude, fly an assigned heading and track to/from a VOR, and fly an ILS. This may seem obvious, but there are a lot of pilots out there who are enslaved to the GPS/FMC and can't navigate without it. This ends up being a problem on VATSIM because the controllers expect pilots to be able to do these very basic things when instructed.

If you didn't understand an instruction, or don't know what the instruction meant, ASK! One of the biggest pet peeves of controllers is a pilot who just says, "roger," and doesn't do what they were instructed to do. PLEASE ask questions and clarify instructions.

If there's something specific you want to work on (such as a certain type of approach, holding, etc) please mention it in your flight plan remarks.

Please link to this post in your VAs or flying clubs. I want to help gather as many new pilots as I can and will continue to have these training flights for as long as there are pilots participating.

Please post here if you're interested, so I know if this is something people are interested in or not.

Noah Bryant

I'm glad to see fellow controllers take interest in helping the new vatsim pilots. I was a nervous wreck when I did my first flight. Now I'm a C1 with ZABB.

Posted in our Pilots Forum.

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Just a reminder this is tomorrow morning. No one has expressed interest in it here but I will still be there.

Noah Bryant