Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Good FPS But 3 Second Lags

Hi recently i have been getting good FPS . But sometimes when taxing on the runway i have 30FPS an i get these 3 second pause like is laging but with good FPS . Have rexe running but i know is not that because i put the weather to update every 30 minutes . An when it is updating FPS drops i know how it feels when rex is doing that . But my problem is some times taxing an sometime when i am in the sky above 10,000 FT i have like 60FPS an 50 but keep getting these 3 second pause. I normally call this 3 second bumps because it feel like if someone bumps into you when you are running an you have to stop lol. I only get this taxing a lot . Does any have any sugestion ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

It sounds like something on your system is feeding data faster than another part of your system can handle, and you are getting a bottleneck where it gets backed up. What have you got the LOD radius on?

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It sounds like something on your system is feeding data faster than another part of your system can handle, and you are getting a bottleneck where it gets backed up. What have you got the LOD radius on?

Al

Hi chock thanks for the quick reply. But i don't even know about that . When i got this system i just put all the graphic an stuff to max . An i never got my fsx to be stuttering an stuff like that . I figure that my computer was well good to handle all graphic setting to max. That is why i once ask here in AVSIM if having two graphic card will make any improvement to my fsx basically what i wanted was to run fsx to max. An with this single graphic card a manage that a little . So if you can please tell me where to check this LOD radius setting i will be glade to look for it an tell you ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Limit your framerate internally.

How do i do that?

Mr Leny

There are a number of things that can cause FSX to pause..

- Some other program on your PC decides to do it's thing (AV is known for this)

- FSX has it's own bottlenecks, like traffic, weather, scenery

- An FSX add-on can suddenly take over, like an FMS navdata reload..

Things to try:

- Shut down all other programs on your PC

- Turn traffic down to 10-20%

- Try lower weather settings

If this persists, run the Procmon program concurrently with FSX and

examine the evenets that took place at the time FSX hiccupped..

Bert

This thread belongs in the Hardware Forum, but I will leave a link from here.

Kind regards,

In the settings options, you can choose a maximum frame rate, and you can also choose the level of detail radius for things such as terrain and cloud draw distance.

With a limit on the frame rates, you will also limit the amount of data your GPU is not only having to load, but also the amount of data it is having to ditch, and even with a capable computer, the transfer of data between the CPU, the RAM on the graphics card, and the RAM on the motherboard can reach points where they are mismatched at the bus speeds whereby they can load and dump things, which is often the reason why even a flying machine of a computer can experience pauses. Doubtless your computer would be more stable in this regard if it was also commanded to be more stable in the rate at which it is being asked to redraw stuff between frames, and it can probably afford to sit happily at an acceptable lower frame rate than the rate at which it may occasionally peak if not prevented from doing so, which is why it is useful to limit the frame rate.

Moreover, most people would be inclined to imagine that reducing the range of the detail radius would be the best way to speed things up, and that indeed can be true in some cases if a computer is limited in resources, but with a very capable computer such as yours, reducing the radius can actually make it work harder if other settings remain on more detailed choices, since as you fly along, with a smaller radius of detail surrounding your aircraft, the radius of highly detailed graphics is more often changed, and so detailed data has to be more regularly loaded and dumped from the memory, whereas with a larger radius, things get fed into the RAM at a more even pace, and so there is less likelihood of a data transfer bottleneck occurring. This is one of the reasons why people are sometimes puzzled to see performance actually improve on some higher settings.

As with all things computer related of this nature though, what works for one person can seem useless to another, even on systems which ostensibly seem identical in many respects. So it is often worth a bit of experimentaion. And with regard to things such as SLI and Crossfire, that too can be something of a double edged sword, since it too requires the splitting and transfer of processing efforts. Generally speaking, FSX is more inclined to prefer a good CPU to a good GPU, or even two good GPUs, that being a legacy of the time it was developed. An example which illustrates this well, is that you can get acceptable frame rates on a laptop with no dedicated GPU card at all, p[rovided it has a decent processor.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks a lot everyone . Chock great explanation again . Now i have an extra Graphic card i never install it since i made post here an everyone said its kind of useless because fsx only uses on graphic card. But my friend the one who made the video that you like uses crossfire an he has a stable system never have these problem an his spec's are kind like mines . But then yet again chock you do have a point when you talk about CPU he has I7 extreme edition . I have order one of those CPU. But it hasn't arrive yet for my home studio .

Mr Leny

An when it is updating FPS drops i know how it feels when rex is doing that . But my problem is some times taxing an sometime when i am in the sky above 10,000 FT i have like 60FPS an 50 but keep getting these 3 second pause. I normally call this 3 second bumps because it feel like if someone bumps into you when you are running an you have to stop lol. I only get this taxing a lot . Does any have any sugestion ?

The taxiing component is probably just because there is just plain more data to process. Once you're off the ground on an inclined slope you are seeing more sky and so there is less autogen to process, at least thru the front view. I get these too but only last about 1 second. The more complex the conditions, the more likely they will occur. I took off from the new ORBX KJAC in the RealAir Turbine Duke and zero hiccoughs. Reloaded later after a reboot into the QW757, and started seeing hiccoughs. Not sure exactly where the hitch is but it seems to be directly proportional to the complexity of processing involved. Dial back some settings if the hiccoughs are too much I think is the only real cure is Haswell at 6Ghz, running 2800 Ram on my single 1920 x 1200 display ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks Noel :)

Mr Leny