Sign in to follow this  
adamfrench

language.dll

Back up language.dll first from both Prepar3D and FSX.

Copy and replace language.dll from FSX to Prepar3D.

(use the backup file to undo that and everything is back to normal)

Now Prepar3D can start with trackir 5 working fine but the engine on any given aircraft will not start. Some of the menu items are amiss. Looking at the dll files for both they are close but not the same. I have a hunch that a modification to the language.dll file may be all that is needed to re-enable native trackir support for Prepar3D. I am aware of Ezdok so I'd rather not hear about it in this thread. I'm wondering if anyone is able to make the modifications to the language.dll file to get trackir working again. Prepar3D moderators claim it is a window menu item. LM and NP are blaming each other but I have a hunch it really is as simple as a modification to a dll. I am not savvy with dll modifications it is out of my scope. Trackir support in Prepar3D is enough for many to abandoned it or continue using it.

Please, tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I should not know. I'm a code n00b. LM and NP can't solve this. I have little faith that I would be able to solve the matter. I don't know guys, understand I don't know why but I'm trying here. I don't really know what I did but it works.

Get a dll editor.

(Again, back up both the FSX and Prepar3D language.dll files)

Open the language.dll files of FSX and Prepar3D in separate windows

In the FSX language.dll, from the String Table 1 thing copy the stuff in the 1033 thing that looks like this and paste it / overwrite it in the Prepar3D language.dll

STRINGTABLE
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
1, "00000409"
2, "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"
3, "Microsoft Flight Simulator"
4, "Copyright 1983-2007, Microsoft Corp"
5, "About Flight Simulator"
6, "Your computer does not have enough memory available to run Flight Simulator. The program will now exit."
7, "Your computer is low on available memory. Some Flight Simulator features may be unavailable or work incorrectly.\nDo you wish to continue running Flight Simulator?"
8, "Your computer has run out of available memory. Please restart Flight Simulator and select different graphics, scenery, or traffic settings."
9, "The 'Scenery.cfg' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit."
10, "The 'Dem4km.bgl' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit."
11, "The 'Seasons.bgl' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit."
12, "The 'Lclookup.bgl' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit."
13, "The 'worldlc.bgl' file is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit."
14, "Your computer does not have enough disk space available to run Flight Simulator. The program will now exit."
15, "Microsoft(R) Flight Simulator is already running."
}

You need to save it somehow or something like that it might need another button press somewhere.

This is not a polished tutorial. If you are better at this than me & you know the intermediate steps you should tell us.

I'm not sure if you need to do all of that. I bet someone really smart could tell you to do far less. I'm swinging blind. At the very least it gets trackir 5 working.

I have a few other things I have on my system which may vary from your setup. I can not isolate the variables to determine anything at the moment.

I spent months checking the web to see if there was a fix. I'm not the only one mashing buttons hoping someone could fix this.

I tested it and it works. Here is what I think is happening. There is a list of supported games in a Trackir file. Right now that file probably says to look for something like Microsoft Flight Simulator X . As we know, a lot of problems are about a simple name change or a directory. This dll change tells Trackir 5 that the sim is FSX where as before it was finding prepar3D and not accepting it. Trackir says they do not have an editable file with the list of supported games. All that really needed to happen was for Trackir to hook up to Prepar3D and the only difference I can see here is a name.

Only lines 2 & 3 need to change.

2, "Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

3, "Microsoft Flight Simulator"

Dude, seriously!? Works like a charm! How did you figure this out?! I took the liberty of reposting that under a clearer topic title, hope you don't mind!

Actually you only need to change line 2 to get it to work.

You rock! Thanks so much!

Might be interesting to look through the TIR dll's (which are not "editable") and locate and modify the game list. That way, any other deoendencies that the language.dll has should not be affected.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Deoendencies. I had to look that up. From what I gathered the trackir files were what I was after. I posted to the trackir forum asking them to fix that. I think at trackir they are locking the topics about trackir and Prepar3D. After a big flame war the attitude is - drop it. So we are here. Vgbaron you are correct the trackir files are not editable. My guess is the only thing trackir needs is the name of the application which is stored in the language.dll file and so far I don't know of any conflicts the modification creates with other add ons. Not to say there couldn't be a problem with add ons in the future. For now most of us are using legacy add ons from FSX. I'm hoping by the next release it will be a non issue. There was a suggestion to use the entire language.dll file from FSX but many have found that it causes numerous problems. That lead me to finding just the two lines of code which needed to change.

I edited the file and I am getting an error and P3D aborts start up.

I have double check to insure I did not make any errors.

As above what editor do you recommend?

Russ

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Post what the code section you edited looks like here after the edit.

I tried it with 2 dll editors. The only one that worked was Resource Hacker which you may have to compile and then save. I tried it with a different dll editor and P3D aborts start up. So, use Resource Hacker.

You only really need to change line No2, that did the trick for me... I'm hoping that way I will be able to install P3D addons as well as FSX legacy addons without a hassle since both names are included. I think I used resource hacker as well... it was really the first one I came a scross doeing a google search for "dll editor"

It worked using Resource Hacker.

Thanks for the tip.

Russ

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

This might be a stupid question, but I'm lost. What do I change the lines 2 and 3 to say. Thanks this is great fix, I'm lost flying without my track ir.

Mike