Sign in to follow this  
rservice

Upgrading from Windows Vista 64bit to windows7

I am considering updating from Vista 64bit to windows 7.

According to MS I can do this.Are there any advantages/problems I should be aware of.

My specs are listed below.This MB cannot be overclocked.

Ron

Ron Service

Thanks Jim,I may wait until the Fall,since it looks like a big job to reinstall all my FSX stuff.

Ron

Ron Service

I did an upgrade install from vista 64, and the install itself went slick but the last phase is "moving settings" and it took a couple hours to complete. There have been reports in the past of this step hanging at a certain % complete (can't recall now -- don't see too many vista systems any more, I'm thinking maybe 42%).

scott s.

I have purchased Windows 7 64 bit and am awaiting delivery.In the meantime I'm compressing the/User file,since it is around 107GB,to increase disk space,

and see if I can increase my free disk space,which has currently only around 70 gigs left out of around 370 gigs.

Is this a good idea or will I see a performance hit,i.e. while still using Vista 64 bit?

Ron

Ron Service

I have installed Windows OS 7 64 bit and current updates.

On boot up I get the following messages.

"Can't open AsIO.sys!!"

Memory Mapping error 2!!

EAccess Violation.

Any ideas?

Also despite attempting to use Easy transfer for files,I have decided to uninstall FSX and Acceleration and reinstall them.

Do I need to install any other service packs?

Is there any freeware hardware checks I can download.

Thanks for any help I can get

Ron

Ron Service

Guest firehawk44

Can't open AsIO.sys

Do you have the Asus AI Manager program installed? If so, try uninstalling it. This link should solve your error messages - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/since-installing-my-windows-7-upgrade-i-receive-a/8a721738-22d9-456d-9800-f73511f95f76.

For FSX, just install FSX and Acceleration and you should be good to go. Make sure you run FSX first before install Acceleration.

"Is there any freeware hardware checks I can download"

I assume you have an ASUS board since you are getting the ASUS errors. On the ASUS website, they have a free diagnostic utility which checks out everything in your computer. If you can't find it, just do a Google search for ASUS Diagnostic Utility. Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jim