Sign in to follow this  
Joeyboots

I finally took the plunge! Any suggestions?

I am finally ready to upgrade from XP9 to XP10. I just ordered a copy and it will be arriving at my home in about a week or so. I thought it would be a great time since 10.10 is about to come out with optimized ATI coding and I happen to be a Radeon owner. Also a Polish scenery video I saw recently on these very forums helped to push me over the edge.

Anyway, I already own Carenado's F33 Beechcraft Bonanza for X-Plane 9, Which I assume is compatible with X-Plane 10, Anyone feel free to correct me of course, And I was wondering if anyone had any aircraft and/or scenery recommendations they could give to a "Low and Slow" GA flyer like myself? Also any must-have plugins?

Thank you all for your time. :Peace:

Mobo/CPU: MSI Z490-A PRO - Intel Core i7-11700K (8 cores - 16 Threads) @5Ghz (CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S)

GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600XT 6Gb GDDR6

RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200Mhz CL16

Storage: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 500Gb & addlink 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2

PSU: EVGA 750BQ 80+ Bronze 750W

Planes; Carenado 182, AIR.C74.net Cirrus, X-Aviation Beechcraft Duchess.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I am finally ready to upgrade from XP9 to XP10. I just ordered a copy and it will be arriving at my home in about a week or so. I thought it would be a great time since 10.10 is about to come out with optimized ATI coding and I happen to be a Radeon owner. Also a Polish scenery video I saw recently on these very forums helped to push me over the edge.

Anyway, I already own Carenado's F33 Beechcraft Bonanza for X-Plane 9, Which I assume is compatible with X-Plane 10, Anyone feel free to correct me of course, And I was wondering if anyone had any aircraft and/or scenery recommendations they could give to a "Low and Slow" GA flyer like myself? Also any must-have plugins?

Thank you all for your time. :Peace:

Pretty much anything by RealScenery.

Nils Danielsons BK-117 (if you're into helicopters)

If you're feeling adventurous, the CRJ-200 available from Simmarket, Aerosoft, x-plane.org or X-Aviation

Tom Kylers MU-2

As mentioned,anything from these guy's is very good...

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/

For low and slow GA I really like the 4Forces C152,Great immersive aircraft[available in link above]

Also The Carenado Grand Caravan should be out soon.Glad you took the plunge,You won't be disappointed. :Big Grin: Cheers!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

I think first of all you will want to upgrade your graphics card. Otherwise you won't get much of the eye-candy X-Plane 10 has to offer. At least you should be ready for a "surprise" performance-wise.

My plugin recommendation (not only for GA flying) is x-assign which let`s you save 3 different button- and joystick-configurations for each Plane.

Regards

Flo

Edit: Carenado V9-planes do work in XP10 with some minor issues. Free patches will be available probably during or after 10.10 version run.

Thanks everyone! :Star:

To Strider: Hmmmmm, That Beechcraft Duchess looks tasty. Thanks for that recommendation!

To GoranM: RealScenery you say? Looking into it now! And that Mitsubishi MU-2 looks sweet.

To Phantom88: The 4Forces C152 looks immaculate. And Oooh a Grand Caravan gotta have one! Cheers to you as well friend!

To FloB: X-assign looks like exactly what I need since I use a Joystick for copters and fighter craft, and My CH Flight Sim Yoke with the Pro Pedals for everything else. Much thanks for that one! The graphics card upgrade is duly noted, But I have a question on that note. I heard 10.10 is supposed to increase frames/performance for ATI users. Do you think the increase in frames from said patch will be negligible with this card? I have been flying the XP10 demo now and then checking in from time to time, So I am aware of the performance hit i will take from moving from XP9 to XP10. I was gonna see what frames I got after that patch to determine which card I wanted to get for an upgrade.

It's funny because I always hear from people I know who fly MSFS that XP has little to no addons, and that is why they won't try it. Sure could've fooled me! So much great stuff, But so little money and time! Think I may start with a RealScenery scenery and probably the Beechcraft Duchess. I am for sure getting the X-assign plugin as well. Next paycheck my friends, It'll be time to melt my credit card!

Thank you all so much for being so helpful and such a wonderful community that I am proud to be a part of!

Mobo/CPU: MSI Z490-A PRO - Intel Core i7-11700K (8 cores - 16 Threads) @5Ghz (CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S)

Storage: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 500Gb & addlink 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2

You're welcome.

Ben said (if I understood him right) that the "windows-ATI-cloud-patch" does not affect fillrate cost of clouds but geometry-cost. I'm pretty sure that you're fillrate bound with your gpu (unless you're running a 14 inch 800x600 screen;) and because of that I wouldn't expect very much from the patch. But 10.10 will be there in a few days so you best give it a try...

PS:

I heard the GTX560ti runs X-Plane 10 quite well (even my 1 GB GTX560 did a good job) and prices are down to 180$ for that one. I think there is a 2 GB version out there...

If you have much more money to burn I can recommend the GTX670. I tested it at stock speed against an overclocked HD 7950 and the GTX runs about 20-30% faster. The GTX 670 sells at 370$ right now and will eventually come down to 350$ within 2012. Still a looooot of money.

Cheers

Flo

Pretty much anything by RealScenery.

Nils Danielsons BK-117 (if you're into helicopters)

If you're feeling adventurous, the CRJ-200 available from Simmarket, Aerosoft, x-plane.org or X-Aviation

Tom Kylers MU-2

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but regarding RealScenery, are there any 3D buildings or is there just flat textures where there are buildings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I don't think so. RealScenery products, as far as I know, are a hi res terrain mesh, ortho's and textures product.

I only have Oahu and it doesn't have buildings.

However, I have seen people import OSM data into some of the scenery.

Thanks again FLoB! Yeah, I think the GTX 560ti is more in my price range. I have also been looking at a radeon 6950. Would you recommend the 560ti over the 6950? I also plan to get an AMD FX 8-core "zambezi" soon as well. Anyone run XP10 with that chip?

Can't tell about the HD 6950 because I never had one and there are no real XP10 benchmarks out there. From my experience with the GTX560, GTX 670 and the HD 7950 I would recommend to go with NVIDIA for X-Plane10. But that's based only on limited experience and testing on my specific system and some impressions other users shared. I guess the difference between a HD 6950 and a GTX 560ti isn't that remarkable in XP10.

BUT I would drop the idea of getting an 8 core AMD chip (if it comes to XP10). Ivy Bridge and even Sandy Bridge (e.g. i5 2500k) will handle XP10 better and have more overclocking headroom. Many people think that more than 4 cores or hyperthreading will help a lot in X-Plane 10 but that is NOT the case! The benefit from more than 4 cores is very limited and can't make up for the lower per-core (and even per module) performance of the AMD CPUs. Hyperthreading is no win at all (I know for sure;).

Here's the reason why: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=55346

Good luck ;)

Thanks for the great info FloB! Hmmm think I may just focus on getting a new graphics card for now, and worry about my cpu later. Next time I get a new mobo and cpu, I will look for a nice i5 or i7 mobo and cpu. I will either get the 6950 or the gtx560ti graphics card, depending on which I can find for cheaper. Thanks again, You have been an enormous help. :hi:

Can't tell about the HD 6950 because I never had one and there are no real XP10 benchmarks out there. From my experience with the GTX560, GTX 670 and the HD 7950 I would recommend to go with NVIDIA for X-Plane10. But that's based only on limited experience and testing on my specific system and some impressions other users shared. I guess the difference between a HD 6950 and a GTX 560ti isn't that remarkable in XP10.

BUT I would drop the idea of getting an 8 core AMD chip (if it comes to XP10). Ivy Bridge and even Sandy Bridge (e.g. i5 2500k) will handle XP10 better and have more overclocking headroom. Many people think that more than 4 cores or hyperthreading will help a lot in X-Plane 10 but that is NOT the case! The benefit from more than 4 cores is very limited and can't make up for the lower per-core (and even per module) performance of the AMD CPUs. Hyperthreading is no win at all (I know for sure;).

Here's the reason why: http://forums.x-plan...showtopic=55346

Good luck ;)

Not True always, the more cores used get less drops in FPS when flying low and slow with phototextures and blurries. His computer will run X-plane fine I got a less powerful one still 30 FPS out of it with XP10.

Just remember, if you're using multiple monitors, the ATI 5770 til current can typically run 3 monitors from ONE video card, but nVidia surround requires 2 (for the digital outputs) for pre-6XX series cards. The nVidia 650/670/680/690 can run 3 monitors from one card and that is the one reason I took the plunge. Was going to get 2 560Tis for SLI with 3 monitors, but will save power by using one card, heat by not having one card suck in the heat generated by the second and can have triple-headed output with one BIG powerful card.

Also, regarding the AMD 8core chips, many reviews have said their computer performance is killed by the Sandybridge CPUs. They can crank out the calculations much faster than the FX processors.

A bit about the differences in Intel CPUs

i3 = basic processor with limited options - performs well, but lacks options to get better performance

i5 = i3 + automatic overclock (turbo boost) - under loads, will automatically step up to a higher speed (3.3 to 3.9ghz)

i7 = i5 + Hyper Threading - gives the ability for a single core to have two personalities each doing their own tasks or threads

Overall, the HyperThreading isn't a groundbreaking feature as while the 2nd virtual core is executing its threads, the 1st vcore is pausing its threads and cuts performance on multi-threads in half, but CAN do more at the same time, just with 50% the processing capability per task.

Also, any series ending with K is born and bread for overclocking with the important bits unlocked so you can tweak them to get higher performance. My main rig is a 3.4gHz i5 2500K with TurboBoost up to 3.9gHz IIRC, but I've overclocked it so it gets 5.0gHz (scaled back to 4.8gHz just due to the summer heat in the house causing CPU heat to be too close to max) by changing 2 parameters instead of having to balance upwards of 10 parameters to get stable performance.