Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

What a Blast!

Just took my first flight in Alaska. Since I had flown a real aircraft there, I decided to fly an area that I knew, so I started at Anchorage INTL, which by the way, is the largest Air Cargo airport in the World. I flew first to Kenai airport which has a VOR and an ILS. I flew down Cook Inlet for awhile then tracked the VOR to near the airport, switched on the ILS frequency and flew the ILS approach to 19. By the way, the avionics in the Maule all work perfectly. I guess I get bothered by the people that act like Flight isn't that great, and yet when I fly it I notice all the attention to detail that they put into this sim. The plane flies great, handles well, once trimmed it is like on a rail, and the view is superb While flying along looking around, I was thinking, "darn I have to clean my monitor ( CRT monitor), it has smudges on it. Then I noticed the smudges moved when I panned the view, it was smudges on the windscreen, which every aircraft I have ever flown has, unless it is brand new from the factory. Someone had to think of that and spend time programming that into the aircraft.

I then took off from Kenai and headed for Homer, which is about another 45 mile flight. I headed down Cooks inlet again, and it the view looked very much like photos I took when I flew there last. When I got down to the vicinity of Homer, I aimed for the VOR just to the North of Homer, and then flew a visual into Homer.

I am going to post some photos in a bit, once I get them sorted out. I haven't even looked at the winter scenes yet, but so far, I am in love with this addition to Flight, and to me, it looks like the real thing.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Two things:

1. Please post the pictures so I can see them!

2. Please don't tell me how awesome it is because I can't buy it yet!!!

P.S. I will experience this vicariously once you post the photos :D

Yes, it's indeed SUPERB!

The Whow's are all being linked to the "ALASKA RELEASED" thread. You'll see a lot there, a lot more will most certainly follow, I am sure :-)

It was well worth the wait !!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Two things:

1. Please post the pictures so I can see them!

2. Please don't tell me how awesome it is because I can't buy it yet!!!

P.S. I will experience this vicariously once you post the photos :D

I am in the same position .... awaiting a new powersupply for my gameing computer.

I'd also love to see pics.

I've never flown in Alaska, never been there at all, really. Nor have I done any mountain-flying. Or in snowy weather. This is going to be all new to me!

Sounds great, Bob, thanks very much for the Pirep. Looking forward to the pics.

Best regards.

Luis

I'd also love to see pics.

I've never flown in Alaska, never been there at all, really. Nor have I done any mountain-flying. Or in snowy weather. This is going to be all new to me!

I am the opposite. I took my ppl training in controlled air space but all my flying after that was done north of the 54th parallel and none of it was in controlled airspace. All of it was mountain flying.

Here are a couple of shots

Takeoff out of Anchorage

FlyingoutofAnchorage.jpg

Flying over Tundra west of PANC

FlyingoverTundrawestofAnchorage.jpg

ILS into Kenai, I was a bit high at this point trying to reach for the V key and getting above the glide slope.

ILSapproachKenai.jpg

Landing at Homer

ApproachToHomer.jpg

Parked at Homer. Great Seafood restaurant right on the water that you see on the other side of the fence.

ParkedatHomer.jpg

I am the opposite. I took my ppl training in controlled air space but all my flying after that was done north of the 54th parallel and none of it was in controlled airspace. All of it was mountain flying.

I got my PPL in South Florida which had the heaviest Air Traffic in the World at that time. Opa Locka, which was about 8 miles South of North Perry, where I flew out of, had International Flight students from all over the world. The practice area, was like a traffic jam all hours of the day, with aircraft everywhere. Sometimes when I would do touch and goes and FLL, I would be in a pattern of sometimes 8 aircraft or more, using 9R. One day they had me fly east about 8 miles, because of other traffic ahead of me, before I could turn base. That was 7 1/2 miles east of the shoreline, over the Atlantic. Would have been a long swim if that C-152 engine had quit.

Just for comparison, the shot below is an actual shot from a 172 I was flying into Merrill

OnFinal.jpg

This one is climbing out of Merrill over Anchorage.

ClimboutMerrill.jpg

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I got my PPL in South Florida which had the heaviest Air Traffic in the World at that time. Opa Locka, which was about 8 miles South of North Perry, where I flew out of, had International Flight students from all over the world. The practice area, was like a traffic jam all hours of the day, with aircraft everywhere. Sometimes when I would do touch and goes and FLL, I would be in a pattern of sometimes 8 aircraft or more, using 9R. One day they had me fly east about 8 miles, because of other traffic ahead of me, before I could turn base.

Mmmm....that brought back memories. I was limited to 5000 ft. Mercifully I never encountered more than a couple aircraft in the pattern. The practice area was almost always empty.

Mmmm....that brought back memories. I was limited to 5000 ft. Mercifully I never encountered more than a couple aircraft in the pattern. The practice area was almost always empty.

Flying into Palm Beach Intl from the south was always interesting. You would be on a right base for 9R and a 727 would be on a left base for 9L, and the runways were pretty close.. it really got your attention.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1206/00449AD.PDF

Just for comparison, the shot below is an actual shot from a 172 I was flying into Merrill

This one is climbing out of Merrill over Anchorage.

Could you put up some shots from when you fly into Merril in Flight so there is something to compare those real shots with? Only shots I see you have from Flight is at Homer and Kenai and one from Anchorage(in another view that's not comparable to that real shot you have of Anchorage). I would like to see something that I can compare with the real shots you have from Ancourage.

i.e A shot from the approach you have for Merril.

Could you put up some shots from when you fly into Merril in Flight so there is something to compare those real shots with? Only shots I see you have from Flight is at Homer and Kenai and one from Anchorage(in another view that's not comparable to that real shot you have of Anchorage). I would like to see something that I can compare with the real shots you have from Ancourage.

i.e A shot from the approach you have for Merril.

Haven't flown into Merrill yet. I might tonight. I want to explore Turnagain Arm, towards Portage which is South East of Merrill. That is where I flew over a Glacier when I was in Anchorage. I want to see who it looks in Flight.

Here we are flying up the Glacier from Portage, and getting ready to make a U turn because the Glacier is climbing faster than our C-172. I was starting to get just a bit concerned that we might have waited to long. The Glacier looks smooth from a distance, but it has ruts and cracks in it that are 10 feet deep.

FlyingupGlacier.jpg

Here we are looking down at the edge of the Glacier after we made the U turn, and you can see the Lake that the Glacier feeds into. The water temperature is 28 degrees in that lake, even in August. The dark marks in the Middle of the Glacier ar actually pieces of rock and debris that the Glacier picks up as it is sliding along.

LookingdownatGlacier.jpg

Those are some really great pictures Bobsk8.

Thanks......