Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

What is not so good in Alaska Pack

No icing

Snow covered dirt runways in winter kick up brown dust

and the deal breaker for me.. Terribly placed scenery objects all over the stupid place.. Alaska was obviously done on the cheap to move units based on price and not quality.

Perfect example.. Yeah.. This looks legit...

59n1E.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

and the deal breaker for me.. Terribly placed scenery objects all over the stupid place.. Alaska was obviously done on the cheap to move units based on price and not quality.

59n1E.jpg

Ouch. Yeah, that one is pretty bad. Nobody QA'd the approaches to that field, for sure.

Overall Alaska is an excellent buy at $15.

The only thing I find "missing" are missions (not challenges or jobs). I really enjoyed the missions in Hawaii, kind of disappointed to see they were omitted.

I won't even touch the Cub outside of the challenges...I'm eagerly awaiting for some new planes.

Much of Alaska feels more like the "default" scenery of FS11 in comparison to Hawaii. I'm really hopping for an upgrade pack for Alaska. Right now it is kind of half-priced, half-baked. I would have gladly paid more to get more details and content.

Well for me, I don't have any Aerocaches. I was expecting there would be some. Unless I'm missing something.

Much of Alaska feels more like the "default" scenery of FS11 in comparison to Hawaii. I'm really hopping for an upgrade pack for Alaska. Right now it is kind of half-priced, half-baked. I would have gladly paid more to get more details and content.

Totally agree with this sentiment. I was very excited for this DLC as I have been very impressed with what MS has been able to achieve with FLIGHT to date (in terms of fidelity and performance). My initial thoughts on the major shortcomings of this DLC are:

- no new deluxe aircraft

- qualitatively (based on limited use and posts on these forums) less "enhanced" scenery

- No icing effects (I mean they point out in the adverts for the DLC how the major challenge of flying in Alaska is the weather and so how could you not include this??)

- no map search function; still no correction for allowing to use map during jobs, missions (guess thats a gripe with the title upgrade not so much the DLC)

- no new jobs, missions, aerocaches (for now)

I would have gladly payed twice the price for half the area with the same fidelity, and playability/fun of the Hawaii pack. This is quite underwhelming and in my opinion a poor sign of what the future holds (given they've been working on this expansion since roll-out or before).

Overall Alaska is an excellent buy at $15.

The only thing I find "missing" are missions (not challenges or jobs). I really enjoyed the missions in Hawaii, kind of disappointed to see they were omitted.

I won't even touch the Cub outside of the challenges...I'm eagerly awaiting for some new planes.

Having flown quite a few times in Alaska, the scenery is fairly close to the real thing. I have lots of photos on my PC taken from a couple of aircraft, and I have posted a couple, and you can see the similarity. Right now I am happy with the Maule and pretty soon I will fire up the Icon, which is great for the small water airports and small lakes all over Alaska.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Terribly placed scenery objects all over the stupid place

Agreed.

flight2012062721030683.jpg

I had to go between those two trees to land. I really do feel like Jim Tweto now :smile:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

This is quite underwhelming and in my opinion a poor sign of what the future holds (given they've been working on this expansion since roll-out or before).

This is what I'm afraid of most. Perhaps the team is trying to see what the market prefers, small and detailed like Hawaii or larger but more generic like Alaska? Not only is the Cub "basic", the whole package feels "basic" compared to the Hawaii Pack.

Totally agree with this sentiment. I was very excited for this DLC as I have been very impressed with what MS has been able to achieve with FLIGHT to date (in terms of fidelity and performance). My initial thoughts on the major shortcomings of this DLC are:

- no new deluxe aircraft

- qualitatively (based on limited use and posts on these forums) less "enhanced" scenery

- No icing effects (I mean they point out in the adverts for the DLC how the major challenge of flying in Alaska is the weather and so how could you not include this??)

- no map search function; still no correction for allowing to use map during jobs, missions (guess thats a gripe with the title upgrade not so much the DLC)

- no new jobs, missions, aerocaches (for now)

I would have gladly payed twice the price for half the area with the same fidelity, and playability/fun of the Hawaii pack. This is quite underwhelming and in my opinion a poor sign of what the future holds (given they've been working on this expansion since roll-out or before).

I agree with your assessment. The overall quality and refinement of the AK pack is not on par with Hawaii. It appears that different techniques and processes were used to create the region with perhaps a bias towards cost containment. I worry for the health of the franchise. They need to identify their target audience and market the product appropriately. The serious simulation aficionado is not going to be enamored trying to recreate a generic patchwork of the globe at $15 per sliver. The casual gamer will not have a compelling reason to maintain the app because of the underwhelming game play. I just hope that someday the platform will be released to the 3rd party community....so I continue to cheer for mediocrity.

Ryan Kelly

No icing

Snow covered dirt runways in winter kick up brown dust

Pretty funny. I am still using FSX and have not seen the Flight version of Alaska, but from your photo I think it looks better than FSX even with my payware GEX and UTX. I haven't seen any towers at the end of runways in FSX, but have seen cliffs and trees right up to the end of the runway. For $15 looks like a good deal.

As someone pointed out earlier though, not allowing any third party content is really putting the hurt on Flight quality/quantity. The $15 price for fairly generic AK looks reasonable, but lots of people would gladly pay more for detail if it was available. I would bet that third party development with Flight would put FSX in the rear view for most fairly quickly (at least for me).

BTW, what airport is that pic taken at? I will look in FSX and post a comparison..

-Little Diomede not modeled, low res textures

-Savoonga not modeled, low res textures

-Stutters in some areas (low flying in thick forest) e.g. McGrath Landing Challenge

-Airports hard if not nearly impossible to find on Map. What about an airport list/menu? Or more details when zoomed out?

-Obstacles (trees,buildings)just before runway, impossible to make proper approach. Found until now a dozen airstrips with this fault.

-Carbon Cub is hopping/stuttering on ground.

-Carbon Cub fuel consumtion seems too high. when loading fuel for 40nm, it lasts only 25nm. Experienced more than 1 time...

-You can load 4 passengers in a CarbonCub !?

-Where is the content? Just some landing challenges and too much silly gold hoops? No missions?

-No seaplane available ?

You get a basic version of the Carbon Cub for free!!!

And you already have nice airplanes to fly around while we wait for aircraft DLCs maybe next month...

The Maule, the Rv6, the Stearman...

A cockpitless airplane is worthless to me...good thing it's free! :LMAO:

You get a basic version of the Carbon Cub for free!!!

And you already have nice airplanes to fly around while we wait for aircraft DLCs maybe next month...

The Maule, the Rv6, the Stearman...

A cockpitless airplane is worthless to me...good thing it's free! :LMAO:

Agreed.

I had to go between those two trees to land. I really do feel like Jim Tweto now :smile:

I just completed a cargo mission and I agree with this as well. Right before lining up for touchdown, there was a rather tall tree in the way. Avoiding the tree resulting in a rather hard landing in my maule. The cats on board were pretty shocked, but my slow calm taxi calmed them down enough to make them happy. I think near runways, at least on the approach paths, tall trees would be trimmed a bit.

If you are not satisfied with MS's product why are so many people continuing to buy? The only thing MS understands is $$$$$. There is money to be made with this community, just look at the prices people are willing to pay just for one quality plane to use with FSX. If MS is unwilling to give us what we want someone else will. I know nobody wants Flight to fail, but the changes it seems a lot of the community is looking for will not occur as long as the $$$$ keeps flowing in. I know I have not paid for any Flight's products, nor will I until they give me cockpits, real weather, ATC, AI traffic. Continuing to buy these products in the hope it will get better just doesn't make any sense IMHO. This post is not meant to insult, it is an appeal to stop sending MS $$$$ for something you are not satisfied with. I do understand that there are people that are satisfied with Flight in its current form and that's great, if you are one of those people, please ignore my post.