Sign in to follow this  
sibtiger

Any other detailed airport with aerial photo ground other than Kodiak

Are there any other detailed airport with aerial photo ground other than Kodiak.

So far I only count one that is on par with airports in Hawaii. It seems as if the team initially intended only to model an area similar to Hawaii with greater details.

I am curious to find out if there is a specific region within Alaska that has more detail all over. I've had a lot of fun with Hawaii, even though it's rather small. I've had a lot of fun (spend months there) in Orbx PNW which is also quite small compared to Alaska. I tend to agree that maybe it would have been better if MS focused on a smaller region and went for quality instead of quantity.

Anyway, I searched for the mentioned airports, hoping they would be rather close to each other, but they aren't. So apparently some random airports got a bit more treatment.

Come to think of it: what's detailed? Ketchikan has boats near the city but the airport itself is quite simple. I visited a few airports at random and some were simple strips in the middle of nowhere, while others had a lot of detail, although I don't know if that detail is realistic. So far I haven't seen details as on Oahu but I haven't visited Kodiak yet.

The south apron at Kodiak is below sea level :Hypnotized:

Some of the airports are "detailed" but I think sib is wanting to know how many are detailed accurately. Some of us yesterday spent several hours exploring areas and landed at over 75 airports. (We wanted the Centi achievement). Half way through we noticed that all the terrain making up the field is remarkably similar at a lot of these. Now, when you are flying under the winter season, you obviously do not notice the color of the terrain.

The same is true for buildings. They may be in the same location as true airport buildings but are basic modeled structures.

Overall, the Flight team had over 500 airports. You will notice that at some, there is a lake and the runway just cuts through the middle of the lake. An obvious error but again, when you have that many airports, hard to make all of them perfect.

I think you will see improvements down the road on some detail but the files were already huge so I would either expect incremental improvements or them to leave them as is. Either way, just glad that I still have over 400 airports to explore!

I'm not so much concerned with details being added to the many small airports, as to the obvious mistakes being corrected.

I know that there really are a few strips with tall trees right off the end of the runway... I've landed with green streaks on the belly of the plane before. But there seems to be a dire shortage of chainsaws in Alaska based on how many we're seeing there.