Sign in to follow this  

Flying job outlook outside the US

Does anyone know about the job outlook for pilots in Europe? Do European airlines hire American immigrants to their countries? I'm thinking probably not :( but I can hope.Also, on a sidenote, does anyone know that if I, a current american citizen, emigrate to another country, can enlist in their Air Force?Thanks!

I am under the impression that hiring is pretty much the same world-wide at this point. I know that in the past it has been possible for Americans to get hired overseas, however many choose not to as it costs a good deal of money to convert your U.S. licences to JAA licences. Remember that many of the European carriers are government owned/controlled and therefore are often partial to their own citizens. Ask the same question on www.flightinfo.com or www.pprune.org and you'll get a much better response with more specifics from those who are already in the industry. As for your Air Force question. I believe that generally speaking you must be a citizen of that country to serve in its military, though you may not need to be a natural born citzen. I would imagine there are different policies in different countries.

You'll probably fail at the first hurdle - getting a work permit. Unless you already hold an EU work permit, EU companies are very unlikely to sponsor you in order to get one for you. Basically, they'd have to show to the national immigration department that they were unsuccessful finding a suitable candidate within the EU. Unless you're a senior Captain with fifty current type ratings and four lifetimes worth of experience, there's little chance. Things would look a lot better, if you were in a different line of work - ever thought of becoming a programmer ;) ?France is the only country I know of that allows foreigners to enlist in parts of their armed services (there are also the Ghurkas in the British forces, but their status is somewhat more complicated).Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

They should so long as you have the folloeing:1) correct licence(s)2) Work permit (esecially for the UK)3) an active passport with NO RESTRICTIONS on it!the 3rd 1 is ver important