Sign in to follow this  
craigt47

FD and VS on JS41 Problem

Hi guys,

First off, you have got me as a customer for life this product is my first and is just simply amazing. However, an odd problem has developed that i have no seen before and i cannot shack it (even after a full install).

After take off 150 Vr get to about 500ft when we are 170knots set IAS and the autopilot does not seem to want to follow the FD. The FD rises and the plane just stays at the same high. During turns on SID's you will loss alt durning the turn not gain any. Really odd becuase i never seem to have this problem before.

Just so you know, autopilot is on, VS selected, Alt arm, alt wheel set to right alt and the VS set to aroundd 1700.

Oh should add that FD does not follow in IAS or VS - little confusing above. The example i gave was VS dep = same problem

And rven now when writing VS set at 700 climb and we are climbing at 10ft vs!

Just to ask the obvious, is your autopilot green rectangular lights in the center console actually on? Also, is your power sufficient to achieve the climb...e.g. after you engage, does it attempt to climb and then airspeed fall off or is the airspeed still accelerating?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

On initial climb, I will set V/S to 1000 to 1200 fpm and let speed build to 170 then change mode to SPD hold. Trying to hold 1700 fpm climb is basically unrealistic.

Dan Downs KCRP

A screenshot would really help. If it's persistent after a full reinstall, it sounds more like a human factors issue.

Kyle Rodgers

I guess you switched the A/P on while descending.

Correct the vario value to a possitive value with the A/P finally on.

Or manage to switch the A/P on while really climbing.

Also I miss a possitive feedback without looking down to the pedestral that the A/P is really on.

In some attitudes (see also 737NGX) the A/P does not become active.

Edit: Have you retracted the flap shortly before?

Quote from the Tutorial:

First, flaps 9 produces a significant increase in lift produced by the wing. If you are flying along in stable flight and select FLAPS 9, the airplane will balloon dramatically. You can counter this quite easily by anticipating the balloon and putting forward pressure on the controls, but you will need to trim out the control forces to maintain level flight. The opposite is true when retracting from FLAPS 9 to FLAPS UP- you will notice a strong pitch-down tendency so be prepared and retrim the airplane as needed.'

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Sorry guys, but this is not a pilot error as i never had this problem before. It started on a re install. Any idea?

Craig,

no re-install!

Make sure after take-off that after flaps-up you still climb, switch the A/P only with a possitive climb (ie. no descend) rate.

Release the yoke and see whether the A/P is really on.

If you caught a negative value (descend), correct it with the little pitch wheel left of the A/P button.

Andreas Berg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Andreas,

Thanks for you help. However, this will no work as the plane will not follow the fd in the climb or desent. I think it is a trim & ap problem. I am going to email pmdg support and see what they say. Thx guys

Fixed! Installed the service pack, even thought it said it was upto date and it has fixed the problem.

Hmmm...I never installed that since it said mine was up to date...

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Craig,

fine, however, IMU the J41 has *no* full VNAV mode, has it?

I think the FD will show you to climb more or less to hit a given (programmed)I altitude at a given waypoint,

but the A/P won't do it by itself.

Andreas Berg

Sorry but i am unsure how i can make this clearer. IN V/S mode you set a climb of say 1500ft. The FD will be at that pitch so the plane can meet that request untill this is changed. The problem, i am still having after the update (so not fixed) is that the AP will not follow the FD (as per the title). It is not pilot error, i understand that this is not a 737 "push button" and off you go, I understand the JS41 does is not ment to climb at 1700ft as the 737 and other jets and yes the green light is on! LOL. Sorry guys, i thank you for your suggestions and help. But, i do know how to fly the plane i have been for some time very well. This just started the other day after a re install due to another system error.

So just to explaine i am climbing at 194konts, FL140 on V/S 700 set with the green light (autopilot) on and the V/S intercator is 500 ! Eh why!

Any suggestions please do reply.

Wait. Why does your V/S on the EADI have a down arrow (indicating descent)?? Lower right corner. It should have an UP arrow. Turn the dial the other way.KXtcx.jpg

Gregg Seipp

Because that was a pic from another time at the top of the forum. However, it does not explain why 700 is set and 1000 and inreasing down is showing