Sign in to follow this  
craigt47

FD and VS on JS41 Problem

OK. Getting confused between the description of the problem and the pic.

I just ran some experiments on my own sim and it did what yours is not doing. (I habitually press AltSel so I had to confirm how it would behave the way you do it.) I didn't touch the trim, used both IAS and V/S and the FD followed perfectly. The only thing I would suggest at this point is another reinstall.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Folks,

again, the J41 does *not* provide a VNAV mode as eg. the 737NGX.

It will climb as set, IAS or V/S.

If you descend while switching on the A/P, it will capture your actual descend rate.

So, what is the problem here? As Gregg I am confused.

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

This is more simple then you think! LOL. The plane will not hold the requested VS via the AP. I understand there is no VNAV. As you can see from the pic above i have requested a 700 down VS with autopilot on. However, the plane is decending at 1000 VS down. Basically the plane will not hold or follow the VS when on AP. The FD shows the correct VS attitude. But, the plane just will not follow the requested command. I have rasied a ticket and will report back.

Thanks again

G'day Craig. In your screen shot, I don't see the ALTSEL enabled. Is that correct?

The format for any vertical change with the AP is: First select your desired altitude, then press the ALTSEL button, then select either V/S or IAS as your prefered mode, then use the AP trim wheel to select the desired rate of V/S or IAS.

I made this mistake (again) this afternoon and my PAX complained all the way down ;-)

The format for any vertical change with the AP is: First press the ALTSEL button, then select either V/S or IAS as your prefered mode, then use the AP trim wheel to select the desired rate of V/S or IAS.

Yeah, that's the format in the tutorial but I tried out what he was doing on my system and it worked well. I think there's just something up with his system.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Same here, I did not need to have ALT SEL to enter and hold a V/S - I have never used this method before. If using the A/P, I rather climb on IAS (instead of V/S); I use V/S on descent.

Gregg and Frank - that method would make sense if you did not want to capture an altitude. I will try that out for myself.

So, maybe this AP is like the one on the C337, where the AP captures the current climb/decent rate when you select the AP to "ON" and only changes when you use the thumb wheel ???

Yeah, that's the format in the tutorial but I tried out what he was doing on my system and it worked well. I think there's just something up with his system.

I can confirm that my J41 works like you said Gregg (and Frank). I had never tried it that way before. To me, that makes it much easier when using the AP to climb/descend as you can take a little longer to select the required altitude before pressing ALTSEL.

So the OP must surely have a local problem with his setup ... unless we're missing something :Nerd:

Hope you get it sorted Craig.

The V/S hold is a great feature, but watch it during your climb as you may find yourself with an uncomfortably low airspeed, or a stick shaker, demanding your best pilot stuff and making some unhappy paxs hihihi!!!

TUT TUT! Human factor! LOL. I will get a screen for you in 20mins.

Work in either the aviation or training field for a day and you wouldn't be laughing so hard.

Every day, it's the same:

"IT'S NOT WORKING AND I'M DOING IT EXACTLY THE WAY IT SAYS TO DO IT!!!"

[*Walk over*]

Show me how you're doing it.

[*Observes them skipping steps*]

Ah, that's why. Make sure to click here and here before trying the next step.

"Oh..."

Your screenshot shows that you have the right buttons pressed, but it seems that something is messing around behind the scenes. Do you have any trim axes assigned on your joystick?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

Spoke to the guys at pmdg they confirmed that they had never seen something like this. Suggested a reinstall and re activated my purchase. Downloaded, clean install and it was fixed. I have no idea what this was, why it was caused and what caused it. However, for people that might have this problem in the future it is a clean install to fix. Thanks for all your help guys and suggestions.

Weird. Thanks for posting the solution as well. Too few do that.

Kyle Rodgers