Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

What they did right in Alaska

Great read guys, and I know that the crew at Flight really love to read your honest feelings about this, and enjoy it even more when its this positive! I think Alaska is a fantastic product, at an exceptional price. I was hoping they would also release a bunch of deluxe aircraft to explore it with, but I guess we must wait for that. Once the first deluxe aircraft is for sale, ill buy that AND Alaska, be sure!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I just want to start the aircraft up, go to an airport, fly somewhere, shoot and ILS, land and have fun doing it with zero problems, and that is what Flight lets me do.

I'm of a different mentality, and would enjoy Alaska for the rugged topography. I love flying in mountain country, and that's just how it is. IFR low altitude airways seldom go where I want to. That's why, I decided to bag my instrument rating back in '94. I just couldn't stand missing all of the beautiful mountain scenery, that's next door to home.............to wear foggles. Perhaps, when I'm about 90, the ILS might be fun.

L.Adamson

The Maule and Stearman and Icon are perfectly capable and well suited to fly around Alaska.

And I know lots of RV owners who take their planes to Alaska......too

Hi Simmers

Be careful what we wish for! MS have 'given' us a great Alaska for next to nothing - imho.

Now we are sitting here all on cloud 9 flying our 'old' aircraft with our wallets half open and credit cards still on the mouse pad. Now, if MS had 4 or 5 good bush planes in their pocket with 2 prices, with or without cockpit, they'd have us by the short and currly's. lol

My wallet would certainly take a hit and MS would laugh all the way to the bank....rotflol

Alaska has given me the best "bush flying" outside of the real world. I have no problem with the Carbon cub with the eye point moved back. Its a VFR only aircraft but if one has printed charts of Alaska that's all you need... Its all I had in the real world. On the negative side I miss the moose and other animals.

Took a flight out of Haines, south into glacier bay, you want to see what flight did right, take this flight and see what I mean. Only draw back was a 50ft autogen spruce tree that spawned about 10 feet short of the runway, made for an interesting landing to say the least. First impression is pretty darn happy with this product!

Being the sim junky that I am, I just couldn't stop myself from getting the Alaska DLC. I didn't have that much time to fly it yesterday but I had to make a 80NM burger run in the Stearman. Don't remember which airport I took off from, but it was more or less surrounded with tundra. The weather was "heavy". On taking off there were a slight cross wind and drizzling rain. On my journey over the tundra the weather varied considerably. I climbed to about 5k ft and was enjoying the view, doing slight adjustments as I went to keep on track with my target. All of a sudden I flew into some kind of mist. Visibility went from good to nil in just a matter of seconds. Also, the winds tore at the aircraft forcing me to concentrate even more. It was raining like crazy. After a couple of minutes I had flown through it, realizing my palms were sweating. The rest of the journey went quite good. The sun came and went, as did the rain showers. When I was lining up to land, the weather turned sour once again and it was a real chore to get it safely down on the ground. The passenger was happy, and so was I.

The lighting effects as the sun was slowly setting behind the dark, almost black clouds over the horizon was brilliant. The long shadows cast from the trees below was the best I've seen in a sim. This is a world I don't mind returning to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

well for one, that ILS maule landing challenge is a real good time white knuckler for sure !

Well, since I added something to the "What Alaska didn't get right" thread, I darn well better post some stuff in this thread too. Overall, I'm extremely happy with Flight's Alaska. Even compared to my FSX Alaska that includes ~ $80 of addons.

What did they get right you say? This is what they got right:

2012-6-27_7-14-18-210.jpg

2012-6-27_7-14-29-304.jpg

2012-6-27_7-16-23-497.jpg

2012-6-27_7-21-41-950.jpg

2012-6-27_21-31-46-681.jpg

2012-6-27_22-22-42-337.jpg

2012-6-28_6-11-47-423.jpg

2012-6-28_6-28-56-675.jpg

PS - A lot of other flight sim forums that I frequent(especially the combat oriented ones) have screen shot threads. Do we not do that here at AVSIM?

PS - A lot of other flight sim forums that I frequent(especially the combat oriented ones) have screen shot threads. Do we not do that here at AVSIM?

We have a dedicated screenshot forum:

http://forum.avsim.n...en-shots-forum/

Great pics btw!!!

What I like so far:

• Terrain. Many different types, textures, etc.
  • Seasons. Finally bored with how that pass looks in summer? Now explore it in fall, winter, etc. Or winter daytime. Or nighttime. Many different iterations for existing terrain.
  • Airports. Googobs of 'em. Oh hell yeah! :dance:

And if city X doesn't look exactly as it does in real life... give a rip. To me, as long as it looks city-ish, I'm good.

Did my first mission flying a Clandestine Cargo from Adak to whatever that next one over is, 90nm worth, at night. In variable weather. 22,000 XP for one mission! :Party:

I am really enjoying the scenery of the DLC. Looks good and runs well. I am very impressed by the cub (even though it has no VC). You can skim the water in it for short riverside landings, and too many negative G's will cause the fuel to cut out and will stop the engine (inverting the plane will also kill the engine). I know the cub is generally a VFR plane, but not having the VC to run startups and shutdowns is killing me.

The only catch for MS from me will be now that I'm "home", I won't buy anymore scenery (unless it adds to alaska). So to get more money from me, they gotta add some meaningful bush planes. I'd like to see a cessna taildragger with tundra/float options.

I am really enjoying the scenery of the DLC. Looks good and runs well. I am very impressed by the cub (even though it has no VC). You can skim the water in it for short riverside landings, and too many negative G's will cause the fuel to cut out and will stop the engine (inverting the plane will also kill the engine). I know the cub is generally a VFR plane, but not having the VC to run startups and shutdowns is killing me.

The only catch for MS from me will be now that I'm "home", I won't buy anymore scenery (unless it adds to alaska). So to get more money from me, they gotta add some meaningful bush planes. I'd like to see a cessna taildragger with tundra/float options.

I want a Beaver with floats with retractable gear.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I want a Beaver with floats with retractable gear.

We're still talkin' planes... right? ; )

Just a note about the ice flows. I was just flying near Nome and went out over the frozen water..... absolutely beautiful textures. The airport itself probably only rates as "better than FSX" but it was still overall a promising start. I could easily imagine paying a few dollars to see these types of areas in better detail...... :smile:

(Wait, I think I have heard of that scheme before.....)

20126271855946.jpg

This is something I like about the new Alaska DLC, and the glaciers where they meet with the sea. Havent seen anything like this yet in FSX.