Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Some of these Alaska/Hawaiian airports need a wind sock...

I know this has been mentioned before but this is even more of an issue with Alaska and the new mixed weather theme. The remote fields need not apply I'm only talking about moderately paved fields. Here we have a weather them that changes on the fly with no marker as to where the wind is blowing on the ground. I don't care to use the unrealistic HUD when a perfectly good sock at many of these fields would to the trick...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Another update I hope Microsoft implements... With this add-on alone they can just stop for awhile and release nothing else but deluxe bush planes. On top of that an FSCargo (by FSAddon if Microsoft is checking) style mission builder, real weather, and some form of ATC would hold us over until next spring. Alaska Bush flying is in a world by itself and FSCargo in Alaska turned FS9 into another sim altogether with no need to venture into the lower 48 unless I was doing an Alaska Airlines flight from Seattle through the Fjorg's area up to PANC (real world route by the way, well at least partially)...

FS2020 

How hard would it be to put that in? ( I don't know anything about programming) and does every airport have one? ( I am not a pilot sorry if it is a dumb question. When I fly I'm to scared to look out the window to notice anything but my imminent death.)

There are a few here and there. I don't think they do anything. They only animation I can think of in flight is the planes and some environmental effects. (And one kayaker)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Windsocks would be nice but what is really needed is some sort of ATIS or something that tells you the wind conditions at the airport you're flying into even if there is no tower.

I just barely got done flying my first time in Alaska...it was a blast. I did a passenger job from Kodiak to some smaller airport with only a grass strip using the mixed weather theme. It was raining the whole trip but when I got to the destination airport there were 68 kt crosswinds! After being thrown around a bit (and making my passengers sick) I had to restart from the checkpoint because then I knew how to tackle these conditions after figuring out the magnitude and direction of the wind through trial and error. The HUD wind indicator didn't help much (I fly with it off 99% of the time) since the wind was blowing a different direction a few nm from the airport.

Landing at that airport reminded me of the Maule landing challenge atop Mauna Kea with similar wind conditions. I floated in almost to the parking area and thought I set it down rather softly but the whiney passengers apparently didn't agree. If that was a real life landing and I was a passenger I would be happy and amazed that a plane could land like that, who cares if it was a little rough.

Hi Folks

Some of these Alaska/Hawaiian airports need a wind sock...

If it has a sock(s) IRL,

as reported by data suppliers,

then it has one, (or more), in game.

Or are you asking to add fictional windsocks ?

Windsock models all work in game.

Sit at any airport and change the weather,

watch the windsock animate accordingly.

PS

FSXME aka mission builder is by Jim Keir.

FSAddon are only the "publisher".

HTH

ATB

Paul

for now I overfly the airport perpendicularly close to the ground and try to gauge wind direction realetive to the planes driftover the run way to the right or left

for now I overfly the airport perpendicularly close to the ground and try to gauge wind direction realetive to the planes driftover the run way to the right or left

Oh, you mean like you would in real life if there's no windsock? :Thinking:

Uh ... Yeah...... whats with all the sarcasm on this forum..? I like flight .im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

Uh ... Yeah...... whats with all the sarcasm on this forum..? I like flight .im%20Not%20Worthy.gif

No, no, that wasn't sarcasm. Sorry if I gave that impression!

I was actually trying to support your statement. It makes sense!

Hi Folks

If it has a sock(s) IRL,

as reported by data suppliers,

then it has one, (or more), in game.

Or are you asking to add fictional windsocks ?

Windsock models all work in game.

Sit at any airport and change the weather,

watch the windsock animate accordingly.

PS

FSXME aka mission builder is by Jim Keir.

FSAddon are only the "publisher".

HTH

ATB

Paul

I know some airports have them but when I don't see one or two at airports like PAKT there's a problem. There's allot of airports in the sim that you know should have them and in Flight they don't.

FS2020 

I agree that they all need windsocks considering that we cant use the water to determine the direction of the wind. Its funny that they have left some out when over in Canada... about sixty miles into BC, at Dease Lake there is a windsock, buildings and an avgas tank. The paved runway has reverted back to grass and gravel.

Hi Folks

I know some airports have them

but when I don't see one or two at airports like PAKT there's a problem.

Yep, agreed.

You are that problem. :LMAO:

Probably due to the size of the runway,

its location is not obvious,

but look at end of RWY 11,

on the RH side just beyond the mast.

Joking aside.

FLIGHT's PAKT is based on the old version

before the runway was modified and extended.

The windsock in FLIGHT is correctly positioned for that period,

but it should have been highlighted by a circle marker, as per IRL.

Post extension, (date unknown),

there appears to be a windsock at both ends.

From a piccie,

at some time there might have been one on top of the control tower,

(though not present in FLIGHT).

Compare Bing Maps with Google Maps

to respectively view the old & newly-extended runway versions.

HTH

ATB

Paul