Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Some of these Alaska/Hawaiian airports need a wind sock...

Fare enough I'll have to go back and look.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

O.K. I went back and looked and it seems I was wrong about PAKT. Just the same there's many airports that not only need more detail but don't have socks that should have them. PAKT needs to place the socks in the real world location and marked as you mentioned above. So MS is not off the hook with this request...

FS2020 

Hi Folks

don't have socks that should have them.

Name them.

PAKT needs to place the socks in the real world location and marked as you mentioned above.

So MS is not off the hook with this request...

Rubbish.

The windsock is positioned correctly,

as per the airport version snapshot date.

Agree though,

the marker circle would be nice.

ATB

Paul

The Flight team builds the world in accordance with the data that was correct when they collected it. Based on airport and navaid changes over time, it appears they are using data from somewhere between 2002 and 2006, meaning the most likely saved some money by recycling the same data used for FSX.

I expect if you hopped in a time machine and checked those airports, the sock locations in Flight would match up with correct locations from that time.

It is unreasonable to expect the devs to update Flight every time something changes in the real world. Even the FAA has trouble keeping up with it all.

It is unreasonable to expect the devs to update Flight every time something changes in the real world. Even the FAA has trouble keeping up with it all.

It's unreasonable to expect the FS devs to update a 2012 release with at least 2010 data. Interesting... :Thinking:

FS2020 

Hi Folks

It's unreasonable to expect the FS devs to update a 2012 release with at least 2010 data. Interesting... :Thinking:

Dillon -

I'm not getting at you at all,

its just you're fairly vocal on some of these matters.

There's far more important features to be addressed,

than your trivial issues of the latest windsocks

or cabins at some fantasy community base.

You don't NEED ATC, ATIS, ASOS, or whatever,

and if you choose not to use the HUD,

then learn to read the wind

by observing ground objects along your aircraft's heading,

e.g. aircraft crabbing.

Hint -

Fly all the game's Landing Challenges,

and when you've gilded them,

you'll wonder why you'd ever been requesting windsocks.

How about you start pushing for something useful,

like -

- missing islands

- missing airstrips

- blended airstrips

- corrected landclass

- missing towns & communities

- and as your nation depends on it, the entirely missing north slope oil industry.

HTH

ATB

Paul

If they have a full set of data sitting there, already organised, ready to use, it would be a sound business decision to simply use it. They only have so much money and manpower to work with, so what would you choose to give up in exchange for current data?

Yes, it would be nice to have current data, but it doesn't make much difference at all in the grand scheme of things. I just mark any "corrections" on my newer charts, just like I ink-in things that are not already on the charts... things like small private airstrips that the owners do not want charted, but Flight sends me to on Jobs.

Things like real-world current wind sock locations are probably pretty close to the bottom of their prioritizations.

Basys,

What do pilots generally use when they are sitting on the ground and preparing to taxi and takeoff? I may be able to use the trees, but it is so much easier to look at flags or the windsocks to get actual wind information.

Yes, when I'm in the air it is very easy to judge the wind direction based on my ground track.

Today at my airport, the winds aloft were blowing nearly 90 degrees off from what the windsocks on the runway were showing. The windsocks are critical in determining a safe takeoff runway in 35C temps we were facing today.

I also greatly dislike using the HUD, but the windsocks are 100% useless in Flight. They are virtually impossible to see from a short distance away.

This isn't a huge priority on my list, but I wouldn't beat up Dillon for mentioning it. For the record, it's already captured in the big suggestions list.

What do pilots generally use when they are sitting on the ground and preparing to taxi and takeoff?

I usually wetted a finger and held it up! ;)

It worked well right after my fuel tank checks, as I would open the filler caps and stick my calibrated finger down inside to make sure it got wet to at least the second joint. :o

But seriously, windsocks are about the best source. This an area that merits improvement.

Today I got a face full of 100LL as I tried to pour the sample back into the tank! :)

So I thought to myself, "This is what 8G16 feels like?"

The Flight team builds the world in accordance with the data that was correct when they collected it. Based on airport and navaid changes over time, it appears they are using data from somewhere between 2002 and 2006, meaning the most likely saved some money by recycling the same data used for FSX.

I expect if you hopped in a time machine and checked those airports, the sock locations in Flight would match up with correct locations from that time.

Would seem pretty rare in my opinion for an airport to remove a windsock and relocate it to another position on the airport unless runway construction was done. I have never seen it happen.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I don't know about unreasonable, but I think it unrealistic to expect anything that relates to the RW or IRL or as it 'should be' from a game maker. That is a lot to ask from MS to include in a free arcade game. even if we spend $15 for the expansion.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Would seem pretty rare in my opinion for an airport to remove a windsock and relocate it to another position on the airport unless runway construction was done. I have never seen it happen.

Nor have I, except in the case of construction. But I believe that was the case in the PAKT example mentioned above. Flight doesn't have one in a current real-world location simply because there wasn't one there when the data was collected.

But I do believe it is actually more common to add an additional sock in the new location that needs it, while leaving the old one in place, if possible, for the benefit of those who expect one to be there.

Other things are missing, too, including an entire airport on south-east Maui that was built in 2010. So, Flight doesn't know about it.

Of course in the RW, PAKT has a lighted wing direction indicator in a segmented circle according to google.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Of course in the RW, PAKT has a lighted wing direction indicator in a segmented circle according to google.

What did it have in 2004ish, since that should be what Flight reflects?