Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

What are people expecting in Alaska?

I keep reading posts that Alaska looks like default FS11 scenery or it's repetitive in most areas. What the heck are you expecting from a wild untouched area? In the real world all you can see is trees and streams with not much else. On the ground without a compass you'd get turned around because everything looks the same. In the air the mountains and lakes are what break up the scenery a bit. It's the wilderness for Christ's sake... I'm shocked to read some of the expectations here and I'm curious as to what your expecting to see. :LMAO:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Edit....

Sorry, still really upset with MS right now and probably shouldn't be posting anything.

All I was expecting was another deluxe aircraft.....

Next to that, the scenery could have looked like Lego blocks for all I care.

We all were expecting more deluxe aircraft, you're hijacking my thread. I want to hear what are people expecting untamed wilderness to look like in a sim (not planes, not misplaced objects at airports, just scenery)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I keep reading posts that Alaska looks like default FS11 scenery or it's repetitive in most areas. What the heck are you expecting from a wild untouched area? In the real world all you can see is trees and streams with not much else. On the ground without a compass you'd get turned around because everything looks the same. In the air the mountains and lakes are what break up scenery a bit. It's the wilderness for Christ's sake... I'm shocked to read some of the expectations here. :LMAO:

Agree, and for $15.00.....peoples are unreasonable, seriously... :Just Kidding:

Whales in the Seas!!!... Just kidding...

Well, I didn't yet have the time to test it, temperature - OAT .... I would like to have negative temps, and their associated effects on aircraft opperations, but then again, I still have to place my Maule at an airfield in Winter, and under a rather nasty weather theme and then try to find it out using oil temp (engine stopped of course...)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I got what I was expecting. A lot of scenery for a tenner! Not really interested in the Cub..using the Maule..perfect Alaskan plane..It's really challenging with the crazy weather and the mountains..much better than Hawaii (imho)

It will take months to explore even a tiny bit of it..In Hawaii, you seen one island, you seen 'em all (no offence to any Hawaiians present)

Either the plane is free, or the scenery; take your pick.. :smile:

Wales in the Seas!!!

No?! where? Were there any in Hawaii? I never saw any. And I think that'll be Whales :wink: Wales is only half in the sea (no, I'm not going there) :smile:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Shouldn't it look like Las Vegas? ;-)

Sent from my Android.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Wales in the Seas!!!

The U.K. might be sad to see Wales break away and float across to Alaska, but I would pay extra for it in game!

The U.K. might be sad to see Wales break away and float across to Alaska, but I would pay extra for it in game!

:LMAO:

Typo... Oops!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi Dillon, I am downloading it now, I expect it to look like the screenshots I have seen. You must understand that generally flight simmers are a picky and critical group of folks.., not that thats bad or anything. And I believe that this is even more so in a forum such as it is. Also keep in mind people in general will tend to talk more about the negative also more so in the forum medium

I believe all flight simmers dream about scenery so good it looks like reality Orbx comes close. I was pleasantly surprised with the visual scenery in Hawaii and truth be told I liked the rural areas better than the urban ones,. So if alaska pleasantly surprises me as Hawaii did I will have gotten what I expected for my MS points . Have a good one

What the heck are you expecting from a wild untouched area?

I didn't expect much for the majority of Alaskan wildness area. Just as you said, it is wildness and patch of nothing but tundra, trees, and rock. But I did find some of the population hotspots not as well done. I mean, Anchorage and Fairbanks airports looks generic, lacking the quality of Honolulu or Hilo.

I've got no problem with the scenery. What's holding me back from buying is the lack of advertised new missions, aerocaches, and job types (assuming this is what they meant in the advertising). I'm probably unlike most simmers in that I need story or objectives to compel me to play. Just puttering about doesn't really do it for me.

I'd really like to see a SAR job type that has you exploring a last known location looking for imperiled citizenry, and then landing to rescue them if feasible, or dropping survival supplies with the Drop Payload key and then heading back to base knowing a heli or snow machine is on the way to pick them up.

To further qualify some of my critiques of the Alaska DLC on other threads but with more reference to this specific topic--

I doubt anyone would expect the vast expanses of Alaska to not be somewhat repetitive. What bothers me (and this is simply my opinion) is that I would have prefered a smaller, more concentrated area of Alaska (one with a lot of geographic and environmental diversity) modeled in a more detailed fashion with associated game play (bush flying missions, alaska-applicable jobs, etc) and associated deluxe aircraft. I think what we were provided with was well worth the $15 I spent, I just was expecting a lot more (and willing to pay more for it) and am just a little disappointed today. Maybe as I explore more of Alaska these initial impressions will change.

I really enjoy FLIGHT. I want to see it succeed and that is why I am happy to support most of the content that speaks to me (scenery expansions, certain types of gameplay expansions, deluxe aircraft), however, I think and hope it becomes so much more than it is right now.

To further qualify some of my critiques of the Alaska DLC on other threads but with more reference to this specific topic--

I doubt anyone would expect the vast expanses of Alaska to not be somewhat repetitive. What bothers me (and this is simply my opinion) is that I would have prefered a smaller, more concentrated area of Alaska (one with a lot of geographic and environmental diversity) modeled in a more detailed fashion with associated game play (bush flying missions, alaska-applicable jobs, etc) and associated deluxe aircraft. I think what we were provided with was well worth the $15 I spent, I just was expecting a lot more (and willing to pay more for it) and am just a little disappointed today. Maybe as I explore more of Alaska these initial impressions will change.

I really enjoy FLIGHT. I want to see it succeed and that is why I am happy to support most of the content that speaks to me (scenery expansions, certain types of gameplay expansions, deluxe aircraft), however, I think and hope it becomes so much more than it is right now.

'

If you have ever been in Alaska, there isn't alot of environmental diversity. It is what it is. !!! Lots of the same kinds of scenery, and miles and miles of it. It's similar to flying from coast to coast in the US on a commercial flight. Look out the airliner window you are sitting in at 30,000+ feet. what do you see, scenery that doesn't change much for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Here a city , there a city, some farmland in-between, and for the most part, not much beyond that. That is what the world looks like from the sky. It's called Reality!!!

If you want challenges, the same as real pilots love, try flying some ILS's in crummy weather, or an NDB approach. See if you can land on the runway center-line at the correct speed. You won't get any reward points in Flight, but you wouldn't in real life either, other than knowing that your are a competent and safe pilot, and know what you are doing. That is what flying and flying simulators is all about.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If you have ever been in Alaska, there isn't alot of environmental diversity. It is what it is. !!! Lots of the same kinds of scenery, and miles and miles of it. It's similar to flying from coast to coast in the US on a commercial flight.

I have been to Alaska and there is plenty of diversity to model--glaciers, cities, fjords, etc. Throw in the diverse weather conditions and there is plenty to see and different environments to experience it in. However, you dont need to create or simulate the entire ~600,000 sq km of landmass to experience it.

My only point was that with the effort it presumably took to model the entire expanse of Alaksa (and all the associated airports) intact (when much of it is completely generic), I would have prefered if part of that effort went into providing more aspects of the game and simulation which I (and presumably other people, but perhaps not) enjoy. We'll see, perhaps thats what the MS FLIGHT team works on next.

The challenges FLIGHT offers are terrific (like the ones you've outlined in your post) and I would argue its the best GA sim/game I have tried. That doesnt mean it couldn't be better.