Sign in to follow this  
epicadventures

Resetting to default starting eye point in FSX

When I start FSX in virtual cockpit mode, this is what it looks like (default starting view):

startingeyepointinfsxvi.gif

But if I try to reset the view by pressing CTRL + SpaceBar, it looks like this:

reseteyepointinfsxvirtu.gif

This happens whether I shift the eye point after starting the game (e.g. by using Shift + Enter), or not. Even if I don't shift the eye point at all (top picture), and press CTRL + Spacebar, the new eye point view looks like the second picture.

The problem: I seem to be unable to go back to the view in the top picture, after CTRL + Backspace makes it look like the second picture.

What I want: When I press CTRL + Backspace (i.e., when I reset the view) I want it to look like the top picture (i.e., the default starting view).

Any suggestions?

This was the sort of thing I got a little tired of. I got EZDok and created a few virtual cameras...no more problem.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Have you tried pressing SHIFT + NUM DECIMAL (Reset Forward View) ?

You can modify the eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg permanently. Remember to reload the plane after modifying.

[Views]
eyepoint=-3.95, -0.85, 1.9		 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a little new to FSX so I don't want to mess with the config files. So for the time being, I've decided to use CTRL + Q to pan down -- not the neatest trick, but it will work for now.

If you backup the aircraft.cfg before editing there's nothing that you can do wrong. If you mess up, just revert to the backup. It's really easy.

IIRC this is because the initial view ignores the aircraft.cfg somewhat, and uses the values in cameras.cfg instead, usually this is only the initialzoom value that overrides the aircraft.cfg, but could theoretically override more.

Oddly, for me I get the inverse result, my initialzoom is 0.7, so I get a view very much like your 'reset view' view, but my aircraft.cfg has zoom of 0.4, which gives a view much like (but not as wide) your 'default starting view'.

My suggestion is to find what your initialzoom is (from 'FSXROOT'/cameras.cfg, note you want the virtual cockpit initialzoom value), and copy that to aircraft.cfg instead of the zoom specified there, with any luck that should be the only difference and it'll fix it right up for you.

Edit: You want cameras.cfg in %appdata%\microsoft\fsx as the one in the fsx root directory is only used as a template for your user specific cameras.cfg

Also, you can adjust the default look position by adding a 'InitialPbh=' line, 'InitialPbh=10,0,0' angles the view down by 10 degrees I believe, which is a nice way to get all of the primary flight instruments in view for the c172.