Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The Great Glacier Hunt!

Glaciers!! They are out there! Wending their way through the trackless wastes. How many can you find? Lets see the pics!

Unless I took a left turn at Albuquerque, this is Hubbard Glacier

201262719757595.jpg

201262719512321.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm going to see if I can find one tonight that I flew over about 6 years ago while visiting Anchorage. If you fly out of Anchorage in a southeast direction down Turnagain Arm, and go towards Portage, ( V-319), you will see a lake and a Glacier to your right. I will post pictures of it if I can find it along with real life photos, and see how they compare.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ok, I flew out to teh area where I flew over a Glacier in a C 172 about 8 years ago, near Anchorage, in the Maule.

Here are some shots.

This is flying Southeast from Merrill Field towards Whittier which is an airport listed in Flight, down the Turnagain Arm

This is the main highway that goes along the river.

HighwayalongTurnaround.jpg

This is entering the Whittier Airport area which is listed on the Flight Maps.

EnteringWhittierArea.jpg

The Glacier that I flew over in a RA is to the right

UpGlacier3.jpg

This is pretty much how it looked in real lifeas I started flying up the glacier

FlyingupGlacier.jpg

Here I am making a U turn to get out of there

pGlacier2.jpg

This is a shot out of the window of the Cessna 172 I was flying, see how close it looks to the shots from Flight

FlyingupGlacier.jpg

Here is the U-turn in the real aircraft.

StartingUturn.jpg

Landing back at Merrill Field

LandingatMerrill.jpg

On runway at Merrill after flight

LandedatMerrill.jpg

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Nice. And the real life shots must have been breathtaking in person!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Nice. And the real life shots must have been breathtaking in person!

What surprised me, is that I was flying there in July, and when you flew over the Glacier, it felt like someone turned an air conditioner on in the cockpit, full blast. I mean it got downright chilly.

When I flew this trip tonight it was like I was in a time machine flying it all over again as I did years ago, it looked so similar.