Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

12 Year Old Pilot Has His Head in the Clouds!

I hate this kid! :LMAO:

Just kidding of course! This young man at the tender age of twelve has accomplished something truly remarkable!

http://www.tennessea...his-head-clouds

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was fortunate enough to have parents that supported my ambitions in the same way. The difference is my grades suck (and always have)! :sad: Lucky for me, my parents know nothing about aviation... So those late night x-countries with my girlfriend in a single engine Cessna didn't bug them. My friend with an airline pilot dad, on the other hand, was never allowed to go when we were in high school.

Thanks for the link! I hope the kid reaches his dreams!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Does that mean he can fly solo at that age or does he need to have supervision???

Matthew Kane

“I like the power-off stalls,” he said, explaining it as a full throttle, nose up take off straight into the air - a move that could make some queasy.

Uh, what?

I was much the same as well as this kid. I started when I was 14 kept flying every other month until I was 16 and soloed right after my birthday. Then a year later 9/11 and no more flying for about 3 years until I could finish everything up and make all those ratings pay for themselves.

I was much the same as well as this kid. I started when I was 14 kept flying every other month until I was 16 and soloed right after my birthday.

Same here, started with an intro flight when I was about 14 and a half and then lessons every weekend until solo after my 16th. My teachers and friends at school though it was odd that I was able to fly a C152 solo and hadn't even went and got a drives license yet. Unlike most kids my age I was more interested in learning to fly rather than learning to driving a car, but I felt more like a grown up when I finally got my drivers license and was able to actually drive myself to the airport on Sunday morning than have my dad drive me.

Took my first lesson at 12 and flew ever since. Was pretty funny actually after gaining the confidence of my instructor I'd preflight alone while he BS'ed inside the FBO and couldn't tell you how many times unknowing pilots would stop me from what I was doing telling me the airplane isn't a toy and asking where my parents were--until I kindly explained I was a student pilot. Still remember then an entire lesson for two hours was 150 bucks wet. Can't even fill the tanks anymore at that price.

Still remember then an entire lesson for two hours was 150 bucks wet. Can't even fill the tanks anymore at that price.

When I started in '86 I was able to get a C152 for $30/hr and $15/hr for the instructor. Although at the time $45/hour seemed pretty steep but I only wish we could get rates like that these days. I was happy when I was finally signed off to solo and could skip the extra $15 for the instructor. I dont even remember exactly how much a 172 was but if I recall it was only about $15 more than a C152 but I was too cheap to pay the difference and stuck to a C152 or a Piper Tomahawk (actually like the Tomahawk better since it looked sportier).

All that Money.....My ATC training was "free"; just had to be a Marine for 4 years. :) lol Sorry, this RADAR mushroom had to comment. LOL

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

I was fortunate enough to have parents that supported my ambitions in the same way. The difference is my grades suck (and always have)! :sad: Lucky for me, my parents know nothing about aviation... So those late night x-countries with my girlfriend in a single engine Cessna didn't bug them. My friend with an airline pilot dad, on the other hand, was never allowed to go when we were in high school.

Thanks for the link! I hope the kid reaches his dreams!

My grades also are crumby too. LOL

Although, my parents also are very supportive of my aspirations to be in commercial aviation. They have always encouraged me to follow my dreams and they have gone far out of there way to be sure that my dreams are fulfilled. I have to say that I am very thankful and blessed to have great and supportive parents.

I hope the kid reaches his dreams

+++1. What a lovely uplifting reportage. Good in the air and in a classroom too.

Nice article! But, why would he already have 25 hours at 12 years of age? I'm a bit older than him and I don't even have 15 hours.

The first time I flew I was immediately hooked. My parents also support me doing flight lessons and becoming an ATP. My mom's uncle is a retired pilot. His son is a commercial pilot for TAM. His son will be a pilot ( :LMAO: , he's only 4 or 5, but his room is all decorated in airplanes and stuff). My mom's uncle also has a daughter, who is a commercial pilot as well.

Nice article! But, why would he already have 25 hours at 12 years of age? I'm a bit older than him and I don't even have 15 hours.

He started flying instruction at age ten. Twenty-five hours over a two year period isn't really all that much...

Think about how many logged hours he'll have by the time he's old enough to get his license, if he manages to just maintain his current accumulation! :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

He started flying instruction at age ten. Twenty-five hours over a two year period isn't really all that much...

Think about how many logged hours he'll have by the time he's old enough to get his license, if he manages to just maintain his current accumulation! :Thinking:

Ah, I see.