Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

Window heat "ON" lights won't stay on

The window heat lights in my NGX won't stay on. They will randomly turn off and on. There is no failure indicated, there is no overheat, there doesn't seem to be anything going on. This issue has only been happening in probably the last month or so. I think it may have happened to me before any of the Service Packs came out, but then it was resolved. Now its randomly acting up again. Any insight?

The window heat lights in my NGX won't stay on. They will randomly turn off and on. There is no failure indicated, there is no overheat, there doesn't seem to be anything going on. This issue has only been happening in probably the last month or so. I think it may have happened to me before any of the Service Packs came out, but then it was resolved. Now its randomly acting up again. Any insight?

They are maintaining their temperature by flipping on and off to keep 'em toasty. Don't sweat it- it's normal and just like the heater that you use in your house during the winter.

You're probably just seeing it because now it's into summer and warmer temperatures.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

They are maintaining their temperature by flipping on and off to keep 'em toasty. Don't sweat it- it's normal and just like the heater that you use in your house during the winter.

You're probably just seeing it because now it's into summer and warmer temperatures.

oh ok that would make sense. I thought they always remained on while the switch was on (unless an overheat). I guess this characteristic would happen more on hot days?

oh ok that would make sense. I thought they always remained on while the switch was on (unless an overheat). I guess this characteristic would happen more on hot days?

Exactly- do a flight out of Tuscon when it's a 40C day and you could probably turn them on during pre-flight and they would go off within minutes.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Exactly- do a flight out of Tuscon when it's a 40C day and you could probably turn them on during pre-flight and they would go off within minutes.

so what would cause an overheat? Also, does the overheat have to be set up in the failures menu, or would being out on a very hot day trip it?

so what would cause an overheat? Also, does the overheat have to be set up in the failures menu, or would being out on a very hot day trip it?

Probably a failure of a temperature sensor. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I use serviced based failures, so I'm just waiting for an overheat.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

A quick change in the outside temperature when window heat is supplying power could give you an overheat but it is something that is difficult to reach. If you want to test the overheat function just use the test switch to power test, this will power all the heaters until overheat come on. Do not use power test if the windows are warm or the outside temp is high.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Did you not read any of the replies? (Or the forum rules?)

Sorry I don't understand what's the problem, I read replies and forum rules, I only gave my opinion about the problem reported in the question

Hello everyone, I have just recently started seeing this too. My question is since I departed KLAS today when the temperature was about 41 degrees celsius, now that I'm at a cruising altitude I'm at -15 degrees the window heat which remained in the on position still hasn't turned back on. Does anyone know how long it takes for the windshield to decrease to such a temperature to cause the window heat to re-engage?

In the real airplane they usually turn back on continuously pretty quickly after you are airborne. Actually in eleven years I have never seen them cycle off while airborne. In your situation at -15 they should definitely be on. I think I read another thread about this. If I recall correctly they got it to come back on by cycling the related window heat switch off then on.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Thanks Tom and Nick for your guys' insight. However Tom do you believe that a ticket submission to the dev team about this is in order? Perhaps something for SP2 they can look into after the triple seven's release.

File a ticket for sure. I think it's warranted and just a good little fix to help with that immersion.