Sign in to follow this  
FS737Pilot

Window heat "ON" lights won't stay on

I've observed the window heat behavior a bunch in the real plane at the gate and in flight. I am typically focused on other things during taxi and takeoff though. I thought I was going to get a good chance to see when the heat comes back on continuously in Chicago yesterday but just as we started taxi a thunderstorm came over the airport and cooled everything down so the heat went continuous. I'm back in Chicago today and it's just as hot so I will see if I can determine exactly how soon the heat goes continuous. I have never seen the heat cycled off in flight but I don't usually get a chance to check until we are at cooler altitudes. I'll compare what I see to NGX and report back.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I've observed the window heat behavior a bunch in the real plane at the gate and in flight. I am typically focused on other things during taxi and takeoff though. I thought I was going to get a good chance to see when the heat comes back on continuously in Chicago yesterday but just as we started taxi a thunderstorm came over the airport and cooled everything down so the heat went continuous. I'm back in Chicago today and it's just as hot so I will see if I can determine exactly how soon the heat goes continuous. I have never seen the heat cycled off in flight but I don't usually get a chance to check until we are at cooler altitudes. I'll compare what I see to NGX and report back.

Is your mail drop B-103 (ORD crews) down at K-19? If so then I deliver your mail along with everyone else's down at flight admin.

Naw, I'm based in LAX. I was based at ORD back in 2000 though.

Of course I had the perfect opportunity to check it out departing ORD but it was my leg and once we started the takeoff roll I totally forgot to watch the window heat until we go to cruise. I'm going to Orlando tomorrow so I will likely get another opportunity to check seeing as it's always good and hot there.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Well it was a little too cool in Orlando. Some storms had passed and there were also periods of no direct sunlight. In typical fashion I remembered to check the window heat during takeoff but they were all already on. One thing I have observed about the window heat cycling is that it is usually the windows on the sunny side of the plane. In fact I rarely see the heat cycle back on while on the ground when that is the case. I have no idea how they could program NGX to recognize the sunny side of the plane but hey I'm not a programmer so I don't know how they program any of it. Something thing I have noticed in NGX is that when the heat cycles on and off it happens way more frequently than in the real plane. In the real world it tends to stay off for a long time. I am getting obsessed with figuring this out so I will stay on it. Theres still lots of summer left to find some good hot weather.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Just tell the captain you cant do anything else on this flight because you have to compare the window heat behavior to the NGX..

If I turn on the news and see a pilot being taken off a american 738 like that poor jetblue pilot was taken off then I know you tried this.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Guest dlrk

Just tell the captain you cant do anything else on this flight because you have to compare the window heat behavior to the NGX..

If I turn on the news and see a pilot being taken off a american 738 like that poor jetblue pilot was taken off then I know you tried this.

Troll much?

Troll much?

? OK... I guess we can not joke around here (it probably was not a very funny post but it was still a attempt at humor) .. must be 100 percent serious at all times.

I think Tom would realize I was kidding around.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

No worries. I took it as it was intended. Of course the window heat gods are playing with me now. I got sent to Newark where it is 95 degrees , prefect for testing, but since they are flying me into my days off they won't let me fly the plane back. I have to deadhead home on an earlier flight.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Makes me wonder (I am a curious person), any special reason you can't be in the jump seat looking at the lights? Or is it another aircraft you are going to fly in?

Manfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

No worries. I took it as it was intended. Of course the window heat gods are playing with me now. I got sent to Newark where it is 95 degrees , prefect for testing, but since they are flying me into my days off they won't let me fly the plane back. I have to deadhead home on an earlier flight.

Thanks for trying to get this for us. I can only judge this from the VC but it looks like watching these lights would not be easy for you to do while doing your job.

Mike Avallone