Sign in to follow this  
Pomperater

Graphic settings & Nvidia driver 3.xxx

Maybe someone can enlight me here.

I have no complains about the graphics on my old gtx 460. I have settings on high and sometimes maximum. And everything looks fine to me. But now i have the new 304 (beta)driver for my videocard installed. That has the new FXAA antialias setting in it. Anyone who has experience with that en what are the best settings?

Now i have ingame setting high and in the driver enhaced application setting-FXAA-2x. Someone any ideas about this? Should i turn ingame setting off when using driver settings?

Framerate is 30 or 60 with vsync on.

btw that driver has also adaptive vsync. What must give less stutter. My experience is that it give more tearing at low fps. Maybe someone has good setting for that too.

I played with the settings using those drivers and eventually concluded that sometimes its best to leave well enough alone. To fsx old hands, tweaking is in the bloodstream at this point, but unless there is some particular issue you are trying to adress specifically, flight seems well balanced already through internal settings.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I played with the settings using those drivers and eventually concluded that sometimes its best to leave well enough alone. To fsx old hands, tweaking is in the bloodstream at this point, but unless there is some particular issue you are trying to adress specifically, flight seems well balanced already through internal settings.

Agreed. I am also an old tweaker :wink: but after giving it a try once I decided to leave Flight as it is. The results of my nVidia tweaks only led to worse performance. I just use the ingame settings and that's it. I love it that I am done tweaking.

You can be right. I do not see any improvement tweaking the profile settings either.

But i think these 3xx drivers give me overal bettter performence. Looks smoother flying when ingame graphic setting on max now.

I haven't done any tweaking. Tried enable/disable VSync in the GRAPHICS menu inside MS FLIGHT, but it runs equally smooth :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

You can be right. I do not see any improvement tweaking the profile settings either.

But i think these 3xx drivers give me overal bettter performence. Looks smoother flying when ingame graphic setting on max now.

If you have nvidia, there are several ways to tweak the graphics settings so as to see noticeable results in-game. As has been said though, the problem is that those results tend to make things worse.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The only worthwhile tweak that I've found is to force 16x anisotropic filtering. It makes things much less muddled at shallow angles, particularly runways. The tradeoff is that oceans look a bit odd at first, but after a while I got used to it.

I tried FXAA, but it was far inferior to maxed AA set in Flight.

In Hawaii, I had observed mild (very mild) stuttering over forests or Honolulu, mainly when looking out to the side. Turning off VSync fixed them.

That gave me occasional screen-tearing, but not enough to worry about.

Then I got TrackIR working, so I'm looking around a lot more, and the screen-tearing became constant. VSync had to come back on.

I'm not noticing the mild stuttering anymore, over Hawaii or over the bits of Alaska I've seen. I guess the Title Updates or a graphics driver update took care of them.