Sign in to follow this  
Bushido5

Comparison with ORBX PFJ

There few things Flight does, it does tend to do better then FSX, but FSX has more features and options. The flight modeling is amazing in Flight vs default FSX aircraft. You really do get a sense of flying and a feel for the aircraft. Lots of great visual ques to help, and the audio is AMAZING. Then you have weather effecting your aircraft a lot more adversely then in FSX, so when your in a light GA, you really need to fly properly or it will punish you. I never felt cross winds in FSX as much as I Do in Flight.

There are still a lot of missing "hard core" features in Flight, but like I said, the few things Flight does, it does REALLY well.

Where can I find some of this AMAZING audio in Flight? I need something to get excited about Flight, 'cause the Alaskan Wilderness is not doing it for me.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Where can I find some of this AMAZING audio in Flight? I need something to get excited about Flight, 'cause the Alaskan Wilderness is not doing it for me.

Ray

If I didnt know better, I would think this was a pure troll, but I will bite.

Take the Stearman off from a runway, and shut the engine down. Then slowly move the control surfaces. You can hear the creak of the cables as they move through the aircraft, and the squeak of the control surface itself. If you slam the stick or rudder left or right really hard, you can hear a THUMP as it hits the stops.

Now, in flight in the Stearman, fly level with headphones on. Then crap it a bit, and you can hear more air then if you flew level due to the wind slipping around the forward windshield and hitting your head due to the crap. Then take it into a dive past VNE and hear the aircraft shake and groan from the stress.

In the Maule, once you turn the master on, you can hear the gyro's spin up and the aircraft hums to life. Turn on the AUX fuel pumps, and they have a unique noise (FSX Maule the AUX pumps or switch did not even work). Open a door in flight, and you have a lot of wind noise.

I have seen many of these audio elements in 3rd party aircraft, but not in default aircraft, and it really is impressive if you have a good set of headphones. It really helps immersion a lot!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Thats fine, but let me explain what im "feeling" so as its not so v ague. As RoboRay said, FSX default aircraft felt "on rails" in that they were not flying in a light fluid, but in very dense air. They did not move much without pilot input. In Flight, they have this surreal "floaty" feeling too them, and if you leave your hand off the stick, you will get pushed off course if your in the right weather pattern. Cross wind landings are a struggle in Flight, and I never once struggled with them in FSX. There are little things, like opening up the left door on the Maule in Flight will result in a left hand turn due to the added drag. When your over speed, the aircraft shakes (audio and visual) like its going to fall apart (no dmg), plus if I dont say so myself, the aircraft LOOKS 100x better then FSX, adding further to the immersion. Even the gear sinks a little when you add weight from Pax, fuel, or cargo. Its a collection of small details that the default FSX Maule did not have.

Yes I feel that its more sensitive too the inputs, but I have never crashed in MS Flight even in the worst conditions when landing, but many times in fsx(had my plane flipp over in heavy turbulence). I also liked that drag detail when you open the door in the air, but in real life do you really want to open the doors at 3000FT(but again Im not a pilot so maybe some do, don't know)? In FSX in the right weather pattern i cant leave the stick I get pushed of course there too. Have the Accufeel addon too so I get the shaking part. (And yes i compare with addons because I didnt say FSX default when I asked the question)

First when i tried Flight I had the same thoughts as you, but then I hadn't tried the Maule and a other small planes in FSX to compare the challenge of landing these small planes in bad weather at that time I only used the bigger planes. I have had accident with bigger aircrafts too because of the weather.

I really don't see the big difference.

About the looks, sure the Maule in flight looks alot better but Im not expecting more from a default plane in a 6-7 year old sim. I have addon planes that I think actually looks better than Flight's planes.

Take the Stearman off from a runway, and shut the engine down. Then slowly move the control surfaces. You can hear the creak of the cables as they move through the aircraft, and the squeak of the control surface itself. If you slam the stick or rudder left or right really hard, you can hear a THUMP as it hits the stops.

Now, in flight in the Stearman, fly level with headphones on. Then crap it a bit, and you can hear more air then if you flew level due to the wind slipping around the forward windshield and hitting your head due to the crap. Then take it into a dive past VNE and hear the aircraft shake and groan from the stress.

In the Maule, once you turn the master on, you can hear the gyro's spin up and the aircraft hums to life. Turn on the AUX fuel pumps, and they have a unique noise (FSX Maule the AUX pumps or switch did not even work). Open a door in flight, and you have a lot of wind noise.

I have seen many of these audio elements in 3rd party aircraft, but not in default aircraft, and it really is impressive if you have a good set of headphones. It really helps immersion a lot!

A troll, I'm not, maybe an occasional PITA, but never a troll. I think I have been spoiled by the higher end add ons for FSX like A2A, RealAir, PMDG, Milviz and the addon sound packs like for the Carenado 337H. I never did fly the default aircraft as I started a little later than most and with the Acceleration pack and started with add ons right away. Most of those sounds that you mention I am familiar with in 'my' normal FSX flying.

I was so busy trying to stay alive while landing the Stearman along the side of a tree line that I could only hear a sucking sound and that came from someplace near the seat cushion. I crashed so many times that I don't remember any sounds with the engine turned off.

If you are are also flying in FSX, check out the Avsim review of the new RealAir Lancair Legacy. If you like sounds and flight dynamics in FS, you will go ape over that one. It is like Accu feel on steroids among other things.

Thanks for the pointers on the special sounds in Flight. I will go check them out.

Ray

Ray

It's all there you just have to listen.

Have the Accufeel addon too so I get the shaking part. (And yes i compare with addons because I didnt say FSX default when I asked the question)

About the looks, sure the Maule in flight looks alot better but Im not expecting more from a default plane in a 6-7 year old sim. I have addon planes that I think actually looks better than Flight's planes.

That explains it all. Your using a heavily modified FSX and comparing it to stock Flight. Like I said, vs DEFAULT FSX. What part of default did you not understand? Sure there are 3rd party add-on's that look and feel better then Flight, but that has never been part of the debate.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

It's all there you just have to listen.

Those subtle sounds were squelched by my heartbeat trying to stay alive landing the Stearman along those tree lined airstrips.

Ray

That explains it all. Your using a heavily modified FSX and comparing it to stock Flight. Like I said, vs DEFAULT FSX. What part of default did you not understand? Sure there are 3rd party add-on's that look better then Flight, but that has never been part of the debate.

I wasn't comparing anything to anything in Flight or FSX or default, I was simply asking for a lead to the amazing sounds in MS flight. Ease up a little. Geez.

Ray

Those subtle sounds were squelched by my heartbeat trying to stay alive landing the Stearman along those tree lined airstrips.

Been there, done that.

It's funny how so many of the little things that Flight does well go unnoticed. The reason I don't always notice them myself is because I subconsciously expect those things to be there, and they are far more obvious by their absence than by their presence.

I think FLIGHT does small GA better than FSX,

This Is what I based my question on, he didn't say FSX default, if he said that i wouldn't have asked the question In the first place. What I wanted too know what makes Flight a better GA sim too what I already have with FSX.

Didn't mean to offend you or anything, maybe I misunderstood some of the things you said, and i apologize.

Well, I think everyone needs to lighten up a little and quit being so defensive about 'whatever'. It is still just a game and mostly should be for entertainment.

Ray

I hope you meant crab. Otherwise there are some unique features and keystrokes implemented in Flight I haven't discovered yet...

But seriously, as a real life GA pilot, I agree with you. Flight seems to do a lot of the little stuff that is missing in FSX. That Accu-fell addon helped a lot, but just that by itself was the cost of Flight's Alaska.

As for the crosswind I did compare it too the default Maule.

Well, I think everyone needs to lighten up a little and quit being so defensive about 'whatever'. It is still just a game and mostly should be for entertainment.

Fair enough, but please also keep in mind that months of people consistently posting here simply to pointlessly bash the product and try to disrupt every conversation does tend to make people trigger-happy. Nothing personal, just want you to understand they aren't just reacting that way for no reason. When you get "crabbed" on every day, you come to expect it, even when it's not there.

Fair enough, but please also keep in mind that months of people consistently posting here simply to pointlessly bash the product and try to disrupt every conversation does tend to make people trigger-happy. Nothing personal, just want you to understand they aren't just reacting that way for no reason. When you get "crabbed" on every day, you come to expect it, even when it's not there.

That may be, however, maybe it is time for a few of these hard core Flight defenders to start reading the words as written and not reading between the lines and inventing thoughts. Hell, if I wanted a bashing, I could go out and get a hammer and bang my thumb.

I was out flying around looking and listening for special sounds and thinking, wow, this could certainly use some improvements.

Thanks for the comments.

Ray

I wasn't comparing anything to anything in Flight or FSX or default, I was simply asking for a lead to the amazing sounds in MS flight. Ease up a little. Geez.

Ray

That last post was NOT directed at you. You just happened to post between me and the guy it was in reply too. I did fix and quote it properly.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer