Sign in to follow this  
ofentress

Scenery surprise

As I was activating FSX today, I received a message as follows:

"SCENERY.CONFIG file error. Local Scenery directory (Scenery\0006\SCENERY) in scenery Area.009 not found"

Never saw anything similar to that before and have no idea what has happened. No changes to Flight Sim since I closed it yesterday and started up today.

Does anyone have a possible solution to this problem? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Jack Fentress

It means a scenery entry in the scenery.cfg is corrupted, maybe from a recent install of a scenery addon.

Look for the scenery.cfg file under C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX. Open it with notepad and check the scenery Area.009 entry to discover which scenery is causing the problem. You might need to reinstall. Others might have additional suggestions for what to do next once you discover the scenery causing the problem.

Randall

Randall........

Thanks for the quick response. I've looked at Area 009, but there doesn't seem to be any way to "get inside". I'll keep trying though. I did install some of Ray Smith's sceneries before I shut down the day before. That could possible be the culprit. I'll have to check that out also.

Jack

Download this, Jack. A great little app for fixing scenery problems..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

This is ridiculous, for months now . I have the same scenery error.

absolutely nothing will fix scenery error no.8

what I have done

* deleted it from both the config and library

* re installed (didnt fix)

The number 8 folder in fsx library does not contain the error scenery (adak)

I have gone through every file on my pc trying to find a rogue Config folder but nothing I can see.

I downloaded the config editor and scenery no.8 isnt there because I deleted it

If I had hair I would be pulling it out!

ZORAN

well there you go, I post it here after nearly giving up then did as google for hidden folders and there are no less the 4 config. Problem fixed

ZORAN

Zoran..........

I'm not sure what your result was. After you deleted the file and re-installed, it still didn't work? Or did you find a problem in which config - FSX config or scenery config?

Jack

Paul..........

Thanks for that link. It does show a problem in this area as well as a few others I wasn't aware of. Problem is, I still can't find a way to get into the "interior" of Area 009.

In the meantime, when activating AES, it deleted the trouble spot. So, I still don't know what scenery caused the problem.

Jack

Zoran..........

I'm not sure what your result was. After you deleted the file and re-installed, it still didn't work? Or did you find a problem in which config - FSX config or scenery config?

Jack

The problem being there were 4 different config files and FSX when looking for Scenery 8 was able to draw from anyone of the files. What I did was edit all of them by changing the last 2 lines to

=False

=False

ZORAN

That looks to be a very handy utility indeed for looking at your installed scenery and any issues with them.

Download this, Jack. A great little app for fixing scenery problems..

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive