Sign in to follow this  
GCNorth

C337 Skymaster

I'm interested in the Carenado C337 Skymaster, but I have a few questions:

1. If I have a single throttle, I assume I could use my mouse to control just the rear engine for taxing?

2. Are there any significant bugs that have not been addressed by Carenda?

3. I've noticed that some have converted the Skymaster to a turbo model. Why the conversion? Does it address any specific problems with the piston model?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Gerry

Don't worry, FSX will move both throttles for you. You can still grab the VC throttles if you like, but this may not be necessary. On the bugs, there isn't something blocking your flights. I'd say that fuel pump assignment is a bit off. For a closer look, take a glimpse into this forum section. http://forum.avsim.net/forum/357-the-unofficial-carenado-support-forum/

Can't help on the turbo conversion. I didn't know about it yet. Pretty much of a fun plane you'll get there. Great sounds, great atmosphere and the framerates are nice too.

I posted the Turbo conversion simply to increase the climb rate and service ceiling. The addon badges etc are just for looks. Read the Avsim.com review and scan the unofficial Carenado C337H avsim site.

The only way to use one engine for taxi is with the VC and your mouse if you don't have dual throttles.

I recommend this one if you like high performance add ons, twins, Skymasters, Turbos, or red and white airplanes.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I think I've misinterpreted that single engine taxi wish in my first post. However, if you leave the front engine off, your single throttle will move both levers but only the rear engine will be affected.

I always taxi with both engines on and only lead the takeoff with the rear one for a second. Is there a special need for the single engine taxi in the C337?

As said, if the front engine is off, your throttle lever movement doesn't do harm in the sim. I think that, if I was planning for single engine taxi, I'd leave the rear one off. It's got a less optimal place in terms of cooling and the higher single engine taxi loads may even stress that factor some more.

A registered FSUIPC allows for some cheating on multi engine planes. There's a hotkey available for slaving all throttle positions. So if you assign the throttle to the engine you like to command and then switch to the 'control all throttles' mode when the second one is running, you will have a switch for single vs. 'all' throttle mode.

The 337 is one of my favorite planes. It's unique, fairly forgiving (compared to other light twins) yet reasonably fast, and doesn't take too much runway, at least for sea-level airports. The panel layout and avionics make for a good instrument platform as well. Everything's well laid out and visible. The flight model, the quality of the VC, the sound set - all excellent.

Like most twins, it'll be easiest and most realistic to fly if you have dual TPM controls, but with its centerline thrust it will be easier with single controls than most. If you choose to configure your single controls to only do one engine, you'll always have to manage the other with the mouse - probably best to leave things coupled. The issue with leading with the rear engine is a safety issue IRL, intended to ensure that the rear engine is actually running for takeoff since you can't easily verify visually. If you throttle up the rear engine first and nothing happens, you know you've got a problem. Advance both together and you might not realize until it's too late.

Also IRL if you were going to taxi with one engine, it would be the rear - the issue once again being safety. Silly as it may sound, it's just too easy for a less than thorough pilot to forget to start that rear engine before takeoff when it can't be seen. Cooling is really not an issue with idle and taxi power.

The problem CoolP mentions with the fuel pump switches was actually fixed with a late patch.

As for the turbo "conversion" some have done - a turbocharged 337 was actually made, and turbocharged engines are certainly an advantage if you fly high and/or operate out of high altitude airports. If you're flying out of sea level airports and only going 100 miles, you don't gain that much. In the real world, the price you pay is heat, maintenance costs and some would argue reliability. In the sim, the price is a bit of fiddling with config files, a willingness to experiment and a few gauges that aren't calibrated correctly. :-)

Scott

The problem CoolP mentions with the fuel pump switches was actually fixed with a late patch.

Thanks for the HU, Scott. The Carenado page says it's an (Exp.) patch while marking the old one (which I have) as (Act.). So it seems I've missed that later patch. :blush:

On the pilot forgetting to start the rear engine, I think the checklist mentions to lead the takeoff run with the rear engine. Wouldn't that loss of thrust warn him then? Not to mention the runup check on the first flight or the instrument indications.

Edited. I've installed the latest patch and now my fuel pump switches are working. Well, at least on hi. Thanks again for the HU.

The Carenado page says it's an (Exp.) patch while marking the old one (which I have) as (Act.). So it seems I've missed that later patch.

I truly don't understand Carenado's patch notations. Notice that the newest service pack is listed as "Exp", while the older one is "Act". In any case, it's the one labeled "Fuel pumps issue". If memory serves, it came after the two service packs, and it does correctly fix the mapping.

On the pilot forgetting to start the rear engine, I think the checklist mentions to lead the takeoff run with the rear engine. Wouldn't that loss of thrust warn him then?

Indeed - assuming the pilot follows the checklist and is paying attention rather than just going through the motions. Think of it as a double safety check sort of thing - just in case you forget to lead with the rear as you should. You also start the rear engine first. On this plane you do everything you can to make sure that the engine you can't see is actually working.

Scott

On this plane you do everything you can to make sure that the engine you can't see is actually working.

Makes sense of course. Even more so for the sim pilots like me. I think my list on what I haven't forgot so far is shorter than the other one. Not only relating to this plane. :Loser:

As a nice outcome, I've now checked all my Carenado purchases on patches and only that C337 was outdated. :dance: They've also reset the download counter due to the installer change for P3D so one can grab a fresh all-inclusive installer if needed.

Thanks CoolP, Ray, and Scott for your input. I do have a registered copy of FSUIPC so I'll look into that suggestion. I like what seems to be an excellent view from the cockpit with the 337. Thanks again.

Gerry

On that FSUIPC setup, just look for the Hotkeys tab and set a key for the multi throttle synch. I've tested it and when you turn it on, the #1 throttle commands all engines. Turn it off and #1 only acts on engine 1.

You may have to calibrate your single throttle in FSUIPC first. I'd have to check that dependency though. Edited. Yes, you have to calibrate the throttle in FSUIPC and then the toggling of the Multiple Throttle Synchronisation Hotkey gives you control over the #1 engine or all available ones.

Edited. I've installed the latest patch and now my fuel pump switches are working. Well, at least on hi. Thanks again for the HU.

Yes, unfortunately the lo settings still don't do anything. I love this plane to death, and it's a minor issue yes, but so Carenado. :Sigh:

I like what seems to be an excellent view from the cockpit with the 337.

It does, indeed, have an excellent view. Enjoy!

Scott