Sign in to follow this  
Pete491

Call Name?

What's the correct call name for this airplane? Malibu? Meridian?

I've heard both.

The full name is Piper Malibu Meridian, the Meridian being a version of the Piper Malibu. The JetpropX is a conversion of the aircraft done by a company separate from Piper. Confused yet?

I have my aircraft.cfg modified so that ATC calls me "Malibu".

Piper Malibu is the base model. The Mirage and Miridian are evolutions of the Malibu. If you think of BMW, there is the 3 series with sub series like the 328, 328IS, 335 etc. However, the Carenado bird is not a Meridian. The Meridian was a Turbo Prop from Piper. This is a Malibu that has been converted to a turboprop by Jetprop LLC. http://www.jetprop.com/. As far as ATC call signs go, I have heard them referenced to as both Miridian and as Jetprop. The reason for this is ATC needs to have a basic understanding of what your aircraft is capable of. I you were to refer to yourself as a Malibu only, the ATC would be shocked to see you cooking along at 260 knts instead of 200, thus making his job more difficult.

Branton,

Thanks for explaining the lineage a little better than I did. When I modified my PA46T cfg to make ATC call me a "Malibu", I did not try either JetProp or Meridian to see if ATC could pronounce them. When I get a little time off, I am going to try to see if ATC will call me by those names, preferably "Jetprop". If ATC will call me a Jetprop, then I will post it here.

Bill

Branton,

Thanks for explaining the lineage a little better than I did. When I modified my PA46T cfg to make ATC call me a "Malibu", I did not try either JetProp or Meridian to see if ATC could pronounce them. When I get a little time off, I am going to try to see if ATC will call me by those names, preferably "Jetprop". If ATC will call me a Jetprop, then I will post it here.

Bill

I tried getting the default ATC to say either Meridian or Jetprop, but ATC would not call by those names when I changed the cfg. ATC would only call me Malibu.

Bill

"JetProp" is what I've always heard on the scanner. Apparently, it's more distinguished than "Malibu" or "Meridian".... kind of like calling a King Air a "twin Beech". :Just Kidding:

Trevor Bair

CMEL+IR | PA32R-301T & C208B
My Real World Travels

Is it possible to a Jetprop name to the list of aircraft ATC can pronounce? Hearing ATC call me "Jetprop 56 Zulu" would sound a lot better to me. Would Editvoicepack be able to do that? I have never used it before.

Please understand that when I stated ATC referring to the aircraft as Jetprop, I was referring to real world. I am not sure if there is a way to modify FSX's ATC voice like there is in VOX ATC.