Sign in to follow this  
Kaboki

Midnight Sun?

Haven't bought Alaska yet and don't know if I will. But I just would like to know if they have it in the new Alaska DLC. Like in the summer it should be daylight all day and night and in the winter it's pretty much dark day and night.

Happens when you come north of the polar circle. And can you see Aurora Borealis(Amazing light effects in the sky in the winter months)?

Yes! It is modelled.

As a matter of fact, MS FLIGHT has also rather accurate Moon phases, and date + latitude allways show you the correct sunrise/sunset times as well as elevation during day.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That's nice, maybe I'll check out this Alaska pack after all, just to see the Aurora Borealis, nice glaciers and ice flow.

I live north of the polar circle myself and Aurora Borealis Is just spectacular to watch, pictures of it doesn't come near to the real thing.

Aurora Borealis

Oops! No, not those... I was just confirming the proper Sun elevations and hours of sunrise/set with date and latitude, sorry...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Ah ok, but to late already pushed the buy button:) Atleast I can see the midnight sun, glaciers and ice flow, and hope not MS use my money on more pitless planes :P

I'll try that, right now my biggest concern is that I can't get into cockpit view..tried all the F buttons but it doesn't work.

I'll try that, right now my biggest concern is that I can't get into cockpit view..tried all the F buttons but it doesn't work.

In the Cub? If so, it doesn't have a cockpit view. :Shocked:

In the Cub? If so, it doesn't have a cockpit view. :Shocked:

No not the Cub, Im not even gonna try that pitless plane, but in my Deluxe Aircrafts, Maule, RV6, and that last one don't remember the name...

If you ever want to recall a keyboard shortcut, go to the Options. Look under Game Controls and Aircraft Controls. It should be listed there.

I seem to remember an issue people were having where the keyboard access to the views were not working but can’t remember what the solution was.

If you ever want to recall a keyboard shortcut, go to the Options. Look under Game Controls and Aircraft Controls. It should be listed there.

I seem to remember an issue people were having where the keyboard access to the views were not working but can’t remember what the solution was.

Found a solution, for some reason the F button doesnt work so I had to remap it to the "c" button and now it works. Maybe It is trackir that has locked the buttons because It uses the same one for centering view and other things..

Yes! It is modelled.

As a matter of fact, MS FLIGHT has also rather accurate Moon phases, and date + latitude allways show you the correct sunrise/sunset times as well as elevation during day.

It's not modelled!!!

Ok tried to see the midnight sun, but It's not there at all, just darkness at night in summer setting when it should be daylight. Its night right now here where I live and its daylight and i can see the sun.

Havent tried winter yet and when I try that I expect not too see the sun at all bacause the days should be dark.

This Is something I expected too see after all Alaska It's called "the land of the midnight sun" and It's north of the polar circle...I sure would like to see the really excited users comment on this!(looks like the f..boy word is banned)

Winter should be pretty dark during the day. Barrow is not at the true North Pole and the sun will not be directly overhead even at the North Pole. I just did a flight by selecting the summer icon and setting 12:01 AM and positioned myself over Barrow Alaska and was able to see the sun.

Winter should be pretty dark during the day. Barrow is not at the true North Pole and the sun will not be directly overhead even at the North Pole. I just did a flight by selecting the summer icon and setting 12:01 AM and positioned myself over Barrow Alaska and was able to see the sun.

Sorry my fault, I set it for summer but it put me in september I didn't notice. So I tried july and there it was, a little darker than expected but almost right. Sorry too all the f...boys out there....

The ###### here acknowledges :-)

See, that's one of the features I really like to see in a flightsim - proper sunrise/sunset times, moon phases, and it all varying with latitude :-). MSFS has long had this feature, others not quite like so..., FlightGear does it perfect from the astronomic pov :-)

Even ELITE respects the Moon phases because it does matter either on night VFR or IFR.... and of course proper sunrise sunset times varying with date and latitude.

Xplane used (don't know how it is in xp10) mid-latitude light cones, meaning that in northern Norway, in winter, you would experience exactly the same sunrise/sunset and sun elevation of Miami... I even quited using a good soaring flightsim because of that limitation - SilentWings - which based it's thermal calculations on sun incidence and type of terrain, but had mid-latitude Sun calculations :-(. See, I'm a picky ###### .....

Hope you enjoy Alaska :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ah ok, but to late already pushed the buy button:)

A reply in Norwegian: - Alaska for under 100-lappen er jo overkommelig. Trenger du selskap på en av dine flyturer under midnattsolen - så gi et hint. :smile: