Sign in to follow this  
SoloTwo

Need some input on how to improve my current setup.

Just for the record when it comes to PC Hardware I'm kind of an idiot so lets just get that out of the way.

About a year ago my last computer took a dump and I had to rush and order a new one, so I had one custom made from Cyberpower. I would love to just build my own but I know that would not end well so I just go with this method. Anyways I didn't build it for FSX but after having put FS9 away probably 5 years ago I recently picked up FSX again. And for the most part I have no problems with everything on max. Problem is when flying over (I use all orbx stuff) the KSEA area I always got lower frames and when landing at KBVS. It was livable, annoying, but I could put up with it. Having yet to purchase a large international airport add-on I wasn't really sure how much I could throw at it.

Well yesterday I bought GEX, UT Alaska, and Aerosoft's Anchorage X addon. And well the results aren't good. The frames are extremely low (8-10) when on the ground, even when turning autogen off and lowering quite a few of the settings. Once I get 3,000 feet above the ground I can turn every setting up and get 30fps no problem. And since I'm planning on buying quite a few more large airport add-on's and work my way up the ladder to larger and more complex aircraft (this issue was with flying the Real Air Duke Turbine) I'm getting kind of worried that my computer can't handle it. Taxing around an airport at 10 or so FPS is really not what I would call enjoyable.

Only thing I'm noticing is that my RAM seems to be all used up so I'm not sure if that is an issue or not, anyway here are the specs.

OEM INTEL I7-2600K 3.40 GHZ 8M LGA 11

2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE

2GB DDR3 / 1600 MHZ MEMORYx4

ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER

WHITE NZXT H2 SLIENT CASE

GIGABYTE Z68A-D3H-B3 INTEL Z68 SLI/CR

XTREMEGEAR 700 WATT POWER SUPPLY

EVGA GTX560 TI 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DIRCTX

WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM SP1 64-BIT

Anyway within reason I'd love to be able to fly into the busiest of airports and not worry about running 10fps. Any input would be appreciated.

Have you tuned your system following the guide? Your system and mine are very similar except I have 2 gig on my video card. I have GEX, REX and the Duke and don't find that they stress my system that much (Orbx on the other hand...LOL). Typically I get about 32 fps (extremely smooth) with 35% commercial traffic, 10% GA, 30% cars, 10% recreational boats. I also have a Triple-Head-ToGo running about 3500x1024 resolution. I'm not sure if that extra gig helps or not.

PM me if you want to compare notes.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I am also struggling with my FPS. As soon as I get closer to any busy airport with the NGX or so the frames immediately drop to about 15. That's clearly not the best condition for a successful landing.

I'd suggest you try to get a better processor at about 4.8GHz or something and subsequently adjust your settings. FSX is a real challenge for processors.

I'm a bit confused but I assume this (2GB DDR3 / 1600 MHZ MEMORYx4) is your RAM? If so, I'd strongly recommend that you go buy one with at least 6GB.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Actually after doing some more research I figured out the problem with the super low fps was with UT Alaska's custom autogen in the Anchorage area. Now I'm getting over 20fps there.

Actually after doing some more research I figured out the problem with the super low fps was with UT Alaska's custom autogen in the Anchorage area. Now I'm getting over 20fps there.

The main problem, as you have discovered, is the area in which you fly. For some reason, and it is a well known issue, particulalry amongst owners of Orbx scenery, the Seattle area is a notorious frame hog. There are areas in which I fly and still have problems with performance and so have to set my autogen settings accordingly. If you look at my signature, my rig is far from a slouch. As for what you can do to improve things, there are two major changes that will have a significant impact: 1) The biggest impact you will see is to overclock your rig to about 4.6Ghz. You should be able to do that with ease, you already have a watercooler and a chip that overclocks well. I am assuming, that you do not have the knowledge, but that's OK, I suggest perhaps you either attain the knowledge or find a loyal friend who can help you. But in overclocking to around 4.6Ghz you should see an increase of about 20% in performance, although it is system dependent. 2) the second thing that can have an impact on performance is to tweak the cfg file. This can be done quite safely by using the venetubo tweak, just do a search it will come up at the top of the results.

Now the big one, which I am happy to be corrected on. I thought all Sandy Bridge processors were dual channel, in which case you should be running two sticks of RAM, either 2 x 3Gb or 2 x 4Gb would be best for FSX. I see from your specs you are running 4! (2GB DDR3 / 1600 MHZ MEMORYx4) In which case that will have a big affect on your performance.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

As far as overclocking goes I did overclock to 4ghz and put my gpu up to 940mhz but then my computer just froze up so I just went back to default after that. Was monitoring temps and everything seemed fine so I might have to screw around with that.

As far as ram goes that is one thing I really skimped on when I bought my rig so I should get that sorted asap. Whats the general consensus on the amount of ram?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

Was thinking of just getting these for 16gb total sorta as future proof but I'm not sure how much further down the road 16gb's will be required.

Btw my current memory has a frequency of 668.7Mhz, I have a feeling that's a huge bottleneck.

Btw my current memory has a frequency of 668.7Mhz, I have a feeling that's a huge bottleneck.

It's not a huge bottleneck, the thing is that you can get 2 sticks for 8GB of 2400MHz for about the same money, and get a 10-15% perf boost at no cost temps & volts wise.

There's no futureproofing in getting more RAM than you need when you have two free slots anyway. By the time you need more RAM you will probably have 2x8GB sticks going for cheap, so you can easily upgrade to 24GB or even more in the unlikely event that you need to in the short-mid term, or if you start doing something that requires more memory

As far as overclocking goes I did overclock to 4ghz and put my gpu up to 940mhz but then my computer just froze up so I just went back to default after that. Was monitoring temps and everything seemed fine so I might have to screw around with that.

As far as ram goes that is one thing I really skimped on when I bought my rig so I should get that sorted asap. Whats the general consensus on the amount of ram?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231486

Was thinking of just getting these for 16gb total sorta as future proof but I'm not sure how much further down the road 16gb's will be required.

If you are going to use your rig for running stuff other than FSX, then sure, get some extra RAM. However, if you are only going to use your rig solely for FSX, then anything more than 6G of RAM is a waste as it will not be used. FSX is a 32bit program and such is restricted on it's use of RAM, the current thinking is either 6 or 8Gb max. Get good quality RAM 1600Mhz is ample. As I said, for FSX 2 x 3Gb or 2 x 4 Gb will be perfect.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll order some ram tomorrow, amazing how cheap it is. I remember not too long ago just getting a couple gb's seemed like a small fortune. For the record I overclocked to 4.0ghz and on max sliders I'm now getting over 20fps in my turbine duke at PANC with high traffic and a very cloudy rainy day.

Most definitely start by tuning it with the guide here...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

I saw rock-solid improvements from just that both in terms of graphics quality and speed. The venetubo thing mentioned above is good BUT I would tune using the guide on the link above and then look at the changes venetubo recommends and add them one at a time to see what they do. On my system they did increase my framerate but the graphics were very flashy so there were some things it recommended that I used and others I let go.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Most definitely start by tuning it with the guide here...

http://forum.avsim.n...-guide-for-fsx/

I saw rock-solid improvements from just that both in terms of graphics quality and speed. The venetubo thing mentioned above is good BUT I would tune using the guide on the link above and then look at the changes venetubo recommends and add them one at a time to see what they do. On my system they did increase my framerate but the graphics were very flashy so there were some things it recommended that I used and others I let go.

Absolutely Gregg, always ensure the very basic elements of a setup are running as efficiently as possible before any tweaking. Otherwise it's a bit like trying to get a car to go faster without first taking out the six bags of sand in the boot! :wink:

Howard

Absolutely Gregg, always ensure the very basic elements of a setup are running as efficiently as possible before any tweaking. Otherwise it's a bit like trying to get a car to go faster without first taking out the six bags of sand in the boot! :wink:

Yeah I've gone though that excellent guide quite a few times. Works wonders.

Well my overclock was causing micro stutters, something I've never had before. Went back to default setting and now I get stable 30 locked fps while in air. Hrm.