Sign in to follow this  
ck777

Simple FMC Question - Narita Approach

After flying the MD-11 for several years, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the systems. I have probably what is a very simple question.

There are some pretty detailed instructions flying the approach into RWY 34L. Basically gears need to be down and locked at a certain DME, final flaps at certain DME, etc...

For example: Gear down and locked before IQY D 12.3. IQY is ILS DME 111.9

I put IQY 111.9 in the NAV/RADIO page (1L) of the FMC. Click on VOR 1.

So, my problem is the distance does not show on VOR1 for IQY. I just looked at the chart and distance is also mentioned for the Narita VOR (NRE). Thinking back, I probably should have just used that. I know I'm messing something up but can't seem to figure it out.

I took a look through the FMC manual but know I'm missing something.

Link to the charts (it's on page 41)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/76806784/RJAA-Charts

Thanks for the help!

Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

That is very strange since I get it to show distance from 3 different sources. If you use an ILS approach you can see it's identifier and distance (if it has a DME) on the bottom left corner of the PFD. I also entered the freq in the "nav rad" page and voilà, distance from there as well. As Jia-Hsing said you can use the FIX tool as well. Since you have a lot of experience I am guessing that you have a bad AFCAD or something because I used default FSX scenery.

HTH

Manfred

EDIT: ehh, the pictures became a lot bigger than I thought. Anyway, here is one with the FIX page as well

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

I knew it was simple...ahhhh "Fix". I can't believe I forgot that. I think you are correct about the bad AFCAD. I I have a free version of the airport from avsim, i wasn't using the default. I have no idea which one i have but will look into it this evening. Thanks for the screenshots.

Thanks again all!!

Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

This is really weird. Something very similar happened when I flew into KOAK this evening. I picked up the ILS for rwy 29 no problem on the PFD. But, the DME for the rwy 29 VOR was not showing up.

I attached a screen shot and hopefully you can see it.

I'm really not sure what is going on since I haven't changed anything.

Any ideas?

Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

I just checked, the reason because you can't see it for KOAK rwy 29 is that it simply isn't equipped with a DME. You can only see the distance if it says that you need a DME on the chart. An ILS/DME approach would have a DME but a standard ILS doesn't have one as far as I know.

Regards

Manfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Can I blame the beverage or two I was having before landing :)

Thanks Manfred!

Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

Chris,

just as a side info, if you're flying an ILS approach without DME;

The runway might have marker beacons instead of DME, in which case you activate them on the audio panel. Or the approach uses a separate station for DME, on a different frequency, that would be indicated on the chart.

Cheers,

Markus

Markus Burkhard

This is what I love about the site a plane. I've been flying it for several years and still learning new things and procedures.

Markus - Thanks for the information; very helpful!

Chris k.

Chris B. Trane