Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Any non-747 recommendations for long range flights?

the Wilco one is about the only game in town

There is also the CLS A340 (Either the 200/300 variant with the A330 or the standalone 500/600 package) and it seems that it's pretty good with the ISG Sim Avionics upgrade. The ISG package, IIRC, can also be installed into the Overland Airbus package as well as some freeware ones.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Dubai is also a common stopover these days. I used to fly via various stopovers like Singapore/Kuala Lumpa/Bangkok in past years but in recent years Dubai is the better route from here. 777 being used on the longer 11 hour trip across the ocean. They are all stopover flights from UK to Australia.

Kind Regards

Simon.

My vote is the PMDG MD-11, It is still an amazing bird to fly.

Also, no airline is doing non-stop LHR-SYD simply because no aircraft exist which could legally do it anyway. A stop somehwere is madatory. I do believe however that BA were doing non-stop London to Perth with a 772LR but they still needed a stopover for the return leg because of winds.

True, but then again, in FSX we can do a three-pointer on the Whitehouse lawn if we want to, and that'd be illegal as well, so a non-stopper to Oz, providing you can stay awake, is something we can do too if we like.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The big Concorde fan that I am, but she will drop out of the sky after some 3500nm, which isn't even half way through the long routes the OP was looking at. I saw some 3700-3800 too, but that's about it. Well, still a good idea though, but she will need some refuelling stop.

I've heard the catering on board was among the best on planet Earth. Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe London to Sydney was a little ambitious so how about New York to London, New York to LA or LA to Hawaii?

If you like realism, you would also have to bear in mind that Concorde was quite limited on the routes that it could take because of the supersonic shockwave.

It was of course fine over the Atlantic, but en route to Australia from the UK, it would be passing over a lot of countries, and on routes where it would overfly land masses, it either had to detour or throttle back, Malaysia and India being two countries which lodged such complaints.

Still if you eschew realism, you can go supersonic wherever the hell you like in FSX, and you'll be in no danger of FOD from bits having fallen off Continental Airlines DC-10s either, nor cheap and nasty Air France remoulds.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Point taken, Alan. Only water makes the lady fast, while landmass complains sooner or later. Although I did receive some VATSIM clearances right over populated parts of the soccer playing Europe. The gentlemen that I am was, I stayed at 0.95 though. You can still catch the slowliners with that.

Maybe London to Sydney was a little ambitious so how about New York to London, New York to LA or LA to Hawaii?

Ha, in comes the Concorde again. Seriously, if you would like something different, she really is worth thinking about and that FSL rendition is pretty darn good. On the subsonic planes, I'd vote for the MD-11 (PMDG) when it comes to a modern and very detailed setup. With the classic gauges, that A300 (Simcheck) or 707 (Captain Sim) are my choice. That's just from my long list of favourites though.

Johan, looking at your user title, I'd say that the A2A B377 is a nice one too, right? Pretty unique experience with that Captain of the Ship addition.

By the way, I just saw your signature and the link to the magazine. Great work!

Thanks Cool.. not looked into it yet, but a L1649..hmmm may make it ? or is memory fainting on me ?

The Super Constellation can go about 5,000 miles, so it could probably just about make London to Sydney in two hops with careful fuel management, but at a top cruise speed of 300 mph, that's going to take you well over 30 hours, probably nearer 40 with an eye on fuel economy.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Having an aversion against even the 'short' 10+ hrs flights, those 30 or 40 would be a pain for sure. How many books am I allowed to bring with me? I'd say, stick to the Queen Mary 2 for those long journeys. Just%20Kidding.gif

You should try a transatlantic flight in the A2A Flying Fortress, in formation all the way - did that once with a buddy online LOL.

Al

Alan Bradbury