Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Do you like the "mouse for flying..." in MS FLIGHT?

I would make this a Poll if I knew how...

My point is... Do you use/like the mouse control option in MS FLIGHT?

I ask because:

1) While I have a Saitek x52 Pro and look forward for a good pair of Saitek Rudder pedals, I use the mouse control most of the time, unless I am up for aerobatics...

2) I have a pilot license and fly for real, and I never used that sort of input on other simulators, with the remarkable exception of Condor Soaring, where the mouse control option has been programmed very professionaly and is also my preferred way of controlling the gliders, specially during those long XCountry flights...

The "mouse for flying" implementation in MS FLIGHT feels excellent to me. If someone is going to give her/his contribution to this thread, answering Yes/No to the main question, it would be great if she/he added info about her/his RL flying experience, not because I am saying you're not entitled to a valid oppinion if you do not fly for real, but simply because it does make a difference having RL flying experience in terms of evaluating the performance of this input method...

3) As I stated at another thread, I believe the code of the "mouse for flying" option in MS FLIGHT is one of the very good things about this flight simulation game, not only because IMHO it was carefully programmed, and you should really look at the effects by observing how the control column/yoke and rudder pedals react to your mouse inputs, but because it gives users with less margin for investment in hardware, or simply looking for some fun using their laptops somewhere, the chance to experience a very realistic feel of what it is to control an aircraft without being tied to fancy hardware....

Looking forward for you oppinions.... ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I've used the mouse briefly, playing around with the Mustang once, and accidently from time to time when bumping the spacebar. But mainly I use my X-52 with the twisty rudder, so 'No'. ~180hrs all up, ~75hrs PIC.

Yes or no, hm, well... sometimes. I do agree that the mouse mode is done very well, but flying with my joystick simply feels better. I do however use mouse mode as some sort of AP every now and then or when I can't get the plane trimmed well: a simple switch to mouse mode and the plane is trimmed perfectly in no time. But usually: joystick and rudder pedals. So I guess the answer should be no. :wink:

I've not actually used it, yet. is it any good? I can't bring myslef to fly a plane with a mouse, any more than I can play racing games with a joystick..just seems...wrong (imo)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I myself have never tried it with the mouse, joystick only for me.

No, I use a Microsoft Precision 2 Joystick.

I would prefer to use a yoke but I do not have one.

I would not dream of using a Mouse for Heavens sake.

No real life piloting here. Though having used joysticks on the Atari 2600, C64, and 286 through to the present, they're my preferred input device for any sort of flying (terrestrial or otherwise). During the late 80s and into early 2000 I played pretty much every Dynamix, Microprose, and Logitech sim. Not to mention Wingcommander 1-3, X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Descent 1-3, Freespace 1-2, and probably some more I am forgetting.

I gave the mouse a bit of a try in Flight, but it's just far to constrained compared to a stick. If I'm being lazy or just popping in for a quick AOTD, I'll use a 360 pad. At first I was terrible with it, but over a few hours it become second nature pretty quickly.

But for proper flying I always clear the desk and plug in my Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X. I picked it up for $30, and it's pretty hard to beat at that price. It's clearly no $500 Warthog, but I'll take what I can get.

I tried mouse flying when I first downloaded Flight, and was surprised that it was easy to fly with a mouse. I like to do crosswind landings, and I felt that a Joystick or Yoke and rudder pedals was the only way to do it properly. I had a couple of yokes which I threw out when I stopped flying FS9 5 years ago, and didn't want to buy another yoke, since I hated the hassle of screwing it on top of my computer desk, and removing it after flying, so I just bought a Logitech 3D Pro with the twist for the rudder and it works very well.

Private Pilot, 600+ PIC

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My point is... Do you use/like the mouse control option in MS FLIGHT?

No. I tried it briefly when my joystick died and I was waiting for a replacement to arrive. It seemed to toss the plane all around the sky, which was probably just a matter of me over-controlling, but I wasn't yanking the mouse all around the desk, either. I probably could have adapted to it in time, learning to use it, but I don't care to do that when I have more realistic alternatives.

The "mouse for flying" implementation in MS FLIGHT feels excellent to me. If someone is going to give her/his contribution to this thread, answering Yes/No to the main question, it would be great if she/he added info about her/his RL flying experience, not because I am saying you're not entitled to a valid oppinion if you do not fly for real, but simply because it does make a difference having RL flying experience in terms of evaluating the performance of this input method...

Most of my actual PIC time is in small Cessnas, the 172 primarily. I've got a sprinkling of low-wing time in various aircraft, a couple of hours here and there. I also have spent around 30 hours in the left seat of P-3Cs, but that's just cruising around off-shore or flying legs on a couple of transits over the Pacific and Indian Oceans, with a qualified pilot in the right seat and an FE between us, both keeping an eye on me. I'm certainly not qualified on those! Just%20Kidding.gif

3) As I stated at another thread, I believe the code of the "mouse for flying" option in MS FLIGHT is one of the very good things about this flight simulation game, not only because IMHO it was carefully programmed, and you should really look at the effects by observing how the control column/yoke and rudder pedals react to your mouse inputs, but because it gives users with less margin for investment in hardware, or simply looking for some fun using their laptops somewhere, the chance to experience a very realistic feel of what it is to control an aircraft without being tied to fancy hardware....

I think it's great that it's there, because it does open things up to a much larger potential audience who may not want to buy specialized controller hardware, or who may not be able to use it because of mobility needs. I just don't intend to use it myself.

No I do not use the mouse as it messes up your flight if you forget and move the mouse for something else. I will fly with prop effect off and clear skies untill they get some more features in.

Yes, I use the mouse and like it. Having said that, I only fly MS Flight on my notebook for travel, so the mouse saves a lot of baggage. My main flight sim is a Joystick / Throttle /Rudder equipped FSX rig.

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

The flight models are so good in Flight that a mouse is out of the question. I propose people try this sim with a yoke and peddles versus a mouse to truly appreciate the feel of flying an aircraft. Microsoft hands down accomplished the concept of 'FLIGHT' in this effort and a mouse just takes away from that unless you a novice which this effort attracts as well.

I'd never use a mouse to virtually experience flight, that just doesn't make since...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

No

Just using it few times as "Autopilot" when i`m afk during a flight

no mouse except as a autopilot replacement once in a great while

same like the last few folks here. generally NO except unfortunately as AP replacement when I just cannot sit 1hr in front of the comp. unfortunately my flight time is very restricted so I am sort of dependent on the AP which will hopefully come soon. right now I started to use the skip function - much to my dislike!

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"