Sign in to follow this  
antic81

About to pull the trigger...

So O/C'ing to 4.5ghz on either the 2700K or the 3770K will acheive the same results given the rest of the system is how this chap has listed??

Im looking at building pretty much the identicle system but cant seem to be sure with which CPU too bit the bullet and go with.. At this stage Im towards Ivy..

is there any indication when Ivy gen2 will be out roughly??

Cheers Josh Cliff

Hey Josh,

To be honest from what I've read the Ivy is not a huge step forward on the overclocking specs - considering you can do the same with the I5 2500K - but I just decided that I may as well go with the Ivy. My luck they'll announce the next gen as soon as I take delivery! haha!

But to be fair thats the nature of tech isn't it? I am sure that I'll be pretty happy with this kit - considering the last time I had a new build was 2004! So I am certain this one should be a step up to say the least!

Anthony

Anthony Milner

READ THIS

Do you think you could summerise the 20 page storey you linked to into the bit you think we should be interested in? Or at least tell us why you think we should read it?

Hey Paul,

Well I gave it a read (not all of it) - what it basically said was the same as you - don't expect to much of a leap forward as far as overclocking is concerned in comparison to the Sandybridge. Well that was my understanding anyway!

Anthony Milner

I see no reason to get an Ivy Bridge chip over the Sandy Bridge i5 2500K - it OCs higher etc. Get a mobo with the newer chipset so in case the 2nd gen Ivy Bridges are good you can just upgrade the CPU.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hahaa it'd be about my luck too mate, Suppose I will try and hold off up untill such time PMDG release the 777..

Cheers Josh Cliff

Hi Anthony

I'm not an expert but understand that high speed RAM is not necessarily better. Low latency 160MHz can be just as good and sometimes even better than 2000MHz+ RAM when generally have a higher latency.

There are good guides and discussions by NickN on simforums.com

Regards

Paul

Ps like your avatar!

Paul Dumke

^+1 with Tabs,

Also I just built my first pc about 3weeks ago, it is a lot of fun, [like building an airfix model] and then you really feel like the computer is YOURS, not some factories

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Hi Anthony

I'm not an expert but understand that high speed RAM is not necessarily better. Low latency 160MHz can be just as good and sometimes even better than 2000MHz+ RAM when generally have a higher latency.

There are good guides and discussions by NickN on simforums.com

Regards

Paul

Ps like your avatar!

This is no longer the case with Ivy Bridge, which loves fast RAM.

Hey guys,

Well it came and I am pretty happy with it! Spending money online buying add-ons is to damn easy these days! Using paypal should be illegal! haha! Bought AS2012, PMDG NGX - no brainer, UT2 - slightly dissappointed in the lack of South African aviation covered - sliders turned all the way up and no Kulula, Mango etc...come to think of it - only has generic aircraft at London City too - not sure I made the right choice on that one - maybe should have gone with My Traffic 2010...also got EZdok, now just looking for FSGlobal 2010 and I'll be back in business (who needs money for food anyway??), locked FPS at 30 and she stays up there most of the time. Used the ******* tweaks and the PMDG tweaks as well.

Only got my sound properly set up yesterday as I had it incorrectly configured - nearly blew myself out of my chair - good to see my old Creative 4 speaker and Sub set has still got it!

Cheers!

Anthony

Anthony Milner

Hey guys,

It arrived last thursday...I must say - it is pretty damn quick!! Everything maxed out and PMDG NGX and 30 fps pretty much throughout - I have run the ******* tweaks and set up exactly as the PMDG manual suggested and it runs like a dream - got the speakers correctly configured yesterday (took me a while to work it out) and then ran the NGX and must say the sounds are fantastic!

Got EZDok which really enhanced things even more! Also got AS2012 - which is great too (always used AS in the past so went with what I know!)

It was a glorious feeling to get back into the virtual air again after so much time away!

Now just trying to figure how to get more South African aviation in the air with UT2 - was slightly dissappointed with that one, maybe should have gone with My Traffic 2010 - I used to use my traffic and was really impressed with the amount of aircraft it added to the SA sky!

Cheers!

Anthony

Anthony Milner

Have you followed Word Not Allowed's Tweak Guide? This really helps with FPS when using high end systems.

Hi Anthony good to see that you are happy with your system. I too am glad to be back on the simming world. Been splurging on some addons since I had not gotten antyhing much in the last 3 years.

BTW..what is the PMDG tweek you are talking about? Link?

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter