Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

FSX runways numbers are wrong for a couple of airports -help

I have found at least two airports in which FSX uses incorrect runway numbers. Example:

KTPA (Tampa). I go to airnav.com and check runway information for KTPA. It shows:

19R--1L

19L--1R

10--28

However using FSX MAP view, FSX shows these runway numbers:

18R--36L

18L--36R

9--27

The FMC in my PMDG 737NGX shows the same runways numbers as does airnav.com.

Is there a utility or some other method of getting FSX to show correct runway numbers? I notice the runway numbers seem to be off by only 1 degree, but this causes the airplane position at start up to be somewhere in the middle of the field as FSX does not know how to deal with this difference.

Also same problem at Jacksonville FL. (KJAX).

Thanks,

Jim

You can alter this yourself with airport creation or editing software, or what is more commonly done, either downloading a freebie updated airport from somewhere such as Avsim's file library or buying a payware one that is more recent.

As you might know, the difference is a result of FSX being made in 2006 and the magnetic drift of the poles having shifted since then, many runway designations were changed around 2009 because of this, but whether the change is necessary for a particular airport depends to some extent on whereabouts on the Earth's surface it is located.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You should be aware that simply changing the runway ID can break any approaches that are based on the original runway ID.

AL,

Thanks for the information. I took your advise and searched AVSIM library for KTPA. Found "Tampa Intl Florida by Ray Smith". Installed his files as per his instructions, and now everything is exactly correct! Thanks to both you and Ray, that airport is 100% correct.

Thanks,

Jim

I believe it's on the PMDG website, but there is a free tool that corrects the BGL file magnetic variance. I altered a few runways as Chock mentions above and used this tool to get everything square.