Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

Gmap for FLIGHT

Hi,

Feedback is being requested as to problems that anyone is experiencing using GMAP with Flight. It would be helpful to post in as much detail as possible the specifics at the FSWidgets Flight forum.

I have as many of the artificial aids as possible in Flight turned off so I've found GMAP very helpful.

I'm not in any way associated with FSWidgets; simply enjoy GMAP.

I've tried turning off "Pause on task switch" and then I can see my aircraft moving within GMAP but it's pretty chancy. I did notice a slight turning in GMAP, over corrected with the joystick, and I think I managed to get back into Flight to recover but I turned "Pause.." back on anyway.

Jim F.

I will give the program a try. I don't like switching to the desktop but I don't like the ingame map even more... I want to follow valleys low and slow, so now I will use Plan-G to plan the flight (unlike the Flight map it shows all the valleys in great detail) and then I will switch to Gmap every now and then to see if I am taking the right turns or not. Far from perfect, but worth a shot...

Update, I got it fixed. I had to go into my AVG firewall settings and allow communication from FSwidget. That took care of my problem.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Tried it. Although it does work to lead you through valleys, the switching is cumbersome and kills the immersion.

Two problems also:

1. the orientation of the plane is wrong (it stays as it was at startup no matter what heading I fly) so you have to fly a while and check back a few times to see if you are moving in the right direction.

2. I see no airports at all so it's not useful for checking to see if you are flying towards an airport... I'd have to use the ingame map for that still.

The idea is nice but for me it doesn't work yet. As soon as both mentioned problems are solved and I can use the app on my Android, I'm in. Until then I'l keep wishing for a better ingame map...

Got the second problem sorted out partially, not connecting in Alaska without going to Hawaii first. This appear to be dependent on the location your aircraft is at. I was trying for over an hour to get it to connect around where I had been flying this morning, Yakutat Airport, PAYA, and it would not connect unless I wen to Hawaii first. Then I simply moved the plane to King Salmon Airport, and it connected immediately. without having to go to Hawaii. So if you have a problem connecting with Flight, try a different area.

Doesn't work for me. No difference between that and 2.0..Again, I tried all starting combos..only works if I change to Hawaii then back...

Try starting from a different airport or area of Alaska. That is what I found, it wouldn't communicate near Yakutat, but it would at King Salmon and Anchorage. Strange!!

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can't get VOR info up on it either..I have selected it..is this something one has to pay for?

Looks like back to Skyvector on the laptop

(note to FSW - please do an app for FLIGHT :smile: )

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I can't get VOR info up on it either..I have selected it..is this something one has to pay for?

(note to FSW - please do an app for FLIGHT :smile: )

They have the sectional charts for Alaska on their website for $10. Going to buy then after lunch.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I'm back to Plan-G. I still had that one installed on my PC. It's great for planning VFR flights and after some searching where the heck for instance Chandalar Staff is on the Flight-map, I just had a very nice flight to Chandalar Lake, following valleys and rivers, without using the ingame map, only based on landmarks from Plan-G. Nice. Very satisfying. Flying low and slow over the trees.

Advantages of using Plan-G:

- you can actually plan a flight and see how long it will be. When I 'plan' a flight using the ingame map, I have NO IDEA if the flight will be 5, 50 or 500 nm.

- you can easily find airports in interesting places with other airports close enough for the kind of flight you want. The ingame map shows no detail at ALL so you have no clue what kind of environment you will be flying in. And you also have no clue where airports are unless you zoom in way too much.

- you get a list of headings and distances! This helped me to avoid a wrong start during my Chandalar-flight. The ingame map doesn't give you headings....

- you can see landmarks like rivers, mountains, turns in valleys, etc. The ingame map... ah, never mind the ingame map.

It's far from perfect, but Plan-G sure is a nice alternative! Best thing would be to have it running on a laptop beside my PC...

EDIT

I posted some screenshots of the flight and the plan in Plan-G here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/378228-chandalar-flight/

I tried it with aivlasoft and FSC, but tbh, I may as well be setting up an FSX session lol..skyvector lets you plan rtes, draws lines, calculates ETE all on the lappy or the pad..doesn't follow my route, but then I know where I am as I have a sectional and a vor :)

Sent from the FondleSlab using Tapatalk

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hi,

The airport names do appear if the zoom settings are high enough. I think this is a function of Google. Not much help in planning a route or determining where you currently are. Perhaps buying the Chart data from FSWidgets would correct this. No VORs displayed either.

I copied some fight plans from some Alaskan missions which were created by Don Oleson and are available at "Flightsimulatormissions.com" and opened them with GMAP. One of the flights is from Unalakleet to Koyukuk. I had flown the mission in FSX so was familiar with the geography. I decided to replicate the flight in Flight. I set the time and date to correspond with the mission. I was aware there was a wide valley south of the plan route and had previously flown this so I chose that again. I also knew the valley eventually intersected a river valley a bit further south and after flying for awhile decided to head over to the river. As it was getting dark and I was in a location were rescue would be unlikely if any problems occurred I found my self getting anxious to get to the river. Maybe a bit too much immersion.

Jim F.

Maybe a bit too much immersion.

LOL Isn't it funny how some pixels on a screen can make you anxious? :wink:

Well after spending almost 2 hours trouble shooting issues with this program and finally getting it to run about 80%, I decided to go ahead and buy the Alaska sectionals. Now I am reading the directions of how to install them, and nothing works. I'm done with it today, will deal with this some other time.. :Nerd:

Problem with loading the sectional maps solved, there tech support have me the ready solution.Will post it when I get home tonight. The sectionals are really great, you have ask the data you need as you are flying over Alaska.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I went ahead and bought the Alaska Gmap maps, and they work great for me. Plus, it seems I don't have to be in Hawaii to load it, now that I have the maps. Pretty cool (at least on my end).

Isn't it funny how some pixels on a screen can make you anxious?

It means the suspension of disbelief is working :smile:..just like in a good book or film..Surely it's what all game producers are striving for..

+1 to MSGS :D

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg