Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Amazing cubby

Did a job, Yakotat to Hoonah. Carbon Cub, pilot plus (3) passengers and full fuel, 153 miles. I took off from the taxieway in about 60 feet. The flight was uneventful, no problem. Amazing aircraft. The passengers were not at happy being all cramed in to such a tiny aircraft with no front end. And a very tall fur tree right at the end of the runway. Love it.

Whow!!!! 4 in a cubby!!!! I'll let the FAA know about it.....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Nice screenshot!

Sounds like I need to download Alaska here soon!

I brought a chain saw with me also. Not that I need it with a 60 foot take off roll. Alaska is well with it, except most jobs are a long haul with current aircraft, tend to use "N' a lot. Never did in Hawaii.

I landed here two nights ago. I said the same thing. Was going to land, then hit E to exit the aircraft and then walk up to the tree and type C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C to chop down that stupid tree.

There is actually an airport almost on the Canadian border about mid-way in latitude where there are a set of trees right in front of the runway and nothing on the other side. Why is that odd? The side with not trees has the runway displacement but the piano keys on the tree side could only be hit if you were in a helicopter (or in the cub with 40+ knot headwind).

Unless its gold bullion.... whatever you can squeeze into a super cub... the Carbon is even better, you can get off the ground with. I have seen them with two passengers and the pilot.. never heard of more than that.

Landing the Cub on the sand bank in 45 kt winds (landing challenge) was pretty fun and reminded me of the Hawaiin Maule landing challenge at the observatory. Are these sorts of landings done in real life? I tend not to think so because it would seem that real winds are more variable and could cut out at any time and slam the plane into the ground.

Landing the Cub on the sand bank in 45 kt winds (landing challenge) was pretty fun and reminded me of the Hawaiin Maule landing challenge at the observatory. Are these sorts of landings done in real life? I tend not to think so because it would seem that real winds are more variable and could cut out at any time and slam the plane into the ground.

Oh yes they do. Gravel bars make up a lot of the most-used "bush runways" in Alaska.

Look for a TV show called "Flying Wild Alaska" on Discovery. It's on Netflix streaming, also. And other places, I am sure.

I did it on another flight. After a "N" button excursion I found myself out of fuel at 1800 feet. No way to make the runway so I landed on the water while I still had the speed and surfed up on the beach. It was a long walk out.