Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

The Map (Grrr)

Should be called the *rap, not the map. It is useless.

Can we have a scale marker?

Can we have proper topo?

Can we have a search?

Can we have a selectable level of detail when zoomed out?

Can we have a proper filter?

I know some of this has all been articulated already by others, but....I can't even FIND the base I am trying to job to! (anyone know where Icy Bay is?! It's 209NM from PAGS)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Can we have a scale marker?

Can we have proper topo?

Can we have a search?

Can we have a selectable level of detail when zoomed out?

Can we have a proper filter?

+1

But please don't forget to email msflight@microsoft.com with this suggestion.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If you have the ICAO code for your destination, plug it in here: http://www.airnav.com/airports/

Then click on the Sectional chart image to the right to load the entire area.

EDIT: Found it! It's on a little bay right where the eastern border of Alaska comes straight down from the north and starts to follow the coast.

Thanks, Ray..I'm using Skyvector for same..Even though I now know where it is, it is still really hard to find on the in-game map!

EDIT: found it. You have to zoom to the very highest level to even see it.

Bit of a fail, MS, if your hard-won casual "gamers" have to resort to using sectionals and airport directories (which they won't even know exist unless they are already pilots or savvy flight simmers LOL)

Better give us some ATIS while you're at it (couldn't care less about ATC..who needs it in AK!)

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

+1 The map really does need some work. I think it would be great if once you decide to do a job is shows a direct route on the map, it would make it alot easier to make a flight plan using vor stations ect. Its far to frustrating to find airports at the moment. Im using www.airnav.com/airports to find airports and plan flights.

The casual players are ignoring most of this and landing on radar dishes, flying down into crevasses, and landing on rooftops. :LMAO:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

EDIT: found it. You have to zoom to the very highest level to even see it.

Bit of a fail, MS, if your hard-won casual "gamers" have to resort to using sectionals and airport directories (which they won't even know exist unless they are already pilots or savvy flight simmers LOL)

Well, those "casual gamers" will probably either point the spinny thingy at the glowing yellow thingy in the sky or just hit the N key. :(

Well, those "casual gamers" will probably either point the spinny thingy at the glowing yellow thingy in the sky or just hit the N key. :sad:

Well you have to start somewhere. The alternative may be a shrinking niche slowly fading away.

I don't think anybody would not appreciate a better map, though.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

LOL..indeed, but then why put all the stuff in it that it has? Who needs to know what a VOR is if you are only flying through barn doors? They and the ILS were put in there to teach ppl to navigate. Ppl who navigate in aviation in RL get proper charts, so they can cross-reference their route against fixed points..we can't even look at ours in-mission. If you don't know where your job is, and you can't use VOR, or there are none useful to you on your route; how do you know where to go?

Are we forced to land on radar dishes? :smile:

It's the FLIGHT is an enema enigma thread again..it's got all this stuff in its cfg files that we don't use, and NDB, and and, and..it has a map like you get on a Sky News VT section (even they use the MICROSOFT virtual globe!) c'mon guys, please :) AK needs it!

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

(couldn't care less about ATC..who needs it in AK!)

I guess you wouldn't need ATC in "Flight's Alaska" because it doesn't have any AI traffic to worry about. But flying into i.e Anchorage in real life or FSX I think ATC would be very important. Got lots of traffic in FSX there, civil and military.

Agreed. But then I'd do it in FSX if I was that bothered about it..

FSX' ATC sucketh hard. RC4 is a system hogger like no other, but with the freeware addons can be good. VATSIM is a bit scary as I mostly fly GA and they don't like GA much..

tbh, and I know it makes it more "immersive" and all that, but I rarely fly in areas that would have heavy ATC anyway, in FSX and now in FLIGHT..In FSX I either just ignore the ATC and just get vectors for the landing RWY or leave it off..

There's many more things wrong with, and I would like to see fixed or added, in FLIGHT than ATC...The map being a seemingly easy one to tweak..Who knows what the priorities are...

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

VATSIM is a bit scary as I mostly fly GA and they don't like GA much..

Haven't have any problems with GA on vatsim, I think the controllers are very helpful to newbies.

Well you have to start somewhere. The alternative may be a shrinking niche slowly fading away.

Absolutely. I actually am pleased with the way Flight is opening doors to novices that have been creeping further and further closed with each generation of FS.

Absolutely. I actually am pleased with the way Flight is opening doors to novices that have been creeping further and further closed with each generation of FS.

+1

That is a very good thing!

That's good if It does, for me It was ROF that got me into this addictive hobby 8-9 months ago.